ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

For 2007 ES350 owners with transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 11:09 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macklin
Well, would one be able to hear it over the dieseling of the engine?

Not!

But, seriously, this is perplexing. I have definitely not noticed any sounds such as this. And I have done two trips to Pittsburg...950 miles RT. And my wife does not like loud music!

I would be as concerned as you and will be on the watch, and ear for this.

You really have to listen hard. It just doesn't sound right, to me. Who knows, it could be an issue on my car only.

Hopefully, yours is fine. But, yes, I have the piston slap too. That is a whole other story!
Old 03-29-08, 11:10 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
Sorry to hear your ES is totalled. If your situation happened to me, I would 100% replace it with another model. I would not get another ES350. Other than tranny issues, there is too many other problems like piston slap and excessive rattles. There are less troublesome cars out there. Good luck.
I have to agree.

The new LS's are to die for. Got $70K to spare?
Old 03-29-08, 05:13 PM
rh26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear the whines too...

It is a very slight whine, sort of like those AAMCO commercials, but not as loud. It, again, is worse when hot outside or tranny is hot after a long trip. Dealer says it is normal, of course. I sort of forgot about it this winter. But, after a few 70 degree days, it is back!

Also, the whine goes along with the revs and shifts of the tranny, so I know it is the tranny.
I'm relieved that someone else is hearing the whine. I get it in exactly the same conditions!
Old 03-29-08, 06:17 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has this issue. Thanks for the feedback.

I am a dealer's worst nightmare. I am very **** when it comes to cars, and go through my cars with a fine tooth comb. My family has me drive their cars and then ask me if it is running ok. So, Lexus can't get much past me.

I should go work for consumer reports or something.

Nevertheless, I said it before and I'll say it again. Don't own the ES without a some kind of warranty.

Last edited by MD350; 03-29-08 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 06:22 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has this issue. Thanks for the feedback.

I am a dealer's worst nightmare. I am very **** when it comes to cars, and go through my cars with a fine tooth comb. My family has me drive their cars and then ask me if it is running ok. So, Lexus can't get much past me.

I should go work for consumer reports or something.

Nevertheless, I said it before and I'll say it again. Don't own the ES without a some kind of warranty.
As long as the wife is your right hand "man" in your Consumer Reporting endeavors...if I remember right she is the sharp one on the engine knock issue.

As to buying an ES..As long as a person gets a WRITTEN money back guarantee for any issues appearing within the first 6 months, one of those no questions asked type guarantees.
Old 03-30-08, 06:31 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, yes Bob. I cannot believe you remembered that. My wife is the one asked me what is wrong with my car when she got in and heard the piston slap.

We will be partners in crime at C.R.
Old 04-06-08, 10:24 AM
Xl94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MD350;3395956]....
As to 07 tranny issues, there are 08s with the same problems. So, I would guess the VIN cut off is worthless. QUOTE]

Hi guys

My gear changes are rough (almost all the time) from 0 ~ 70 mph & I experience a very strange gear change specially at a speed of 37 ~ 40 mph

Its like when you’re driving a manual gear & you change the gear from 2nd to the 3rd with out moving your foot off the accelerator so the RPM increases suddenly & the gear then hocks up with a rough change.

Also it seems like there is some kind of gab between these two gears, I even noticed it with the sequential gear (S), but it is not as rough as the regular drive gear (D(.

my car is 08 & not included in the TSIB if we are going to use the VIn No. as refernce..

so what well it be i'm not going to live like this i paid what i paid not to get what they call normal!!
Old 04-06-08, 11:36 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

My flares are not as bad in the Winter, when it is cold. With warmer weather around the corner, with the A/C on, I feel the flares will start up again.

When hot, my transmission also has a slight whine to it. It will fail on me sooner or later.

Glad to hear yours is better. Hopefully, it remains good to you when hot outside.

As to Lexus, the product is performing "normal". What do they care?
I've got the intermittent whining transmission sound, too, along with the minor flare issue. At this point I hope the transmission eventually fails catastrophically -- then I'll go for a buy-back and get another kind of car. Other than the mediocre transmission and the Fisher-Price stereo system, the car is very nice. But, for the amount of money I'm paying monthly for this buggy, I expect high quality. This car is simply not worth the money. If Toyota would come out with a Prius with comfortable seats, I'd dump this ES350 in a heartbeat -- that car has a well put-together interior and lacks transmission problems.
Old 04-06-08, 01:27 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Xl94
Hi guys

My gear changes are rough (almost all the time) from 0 ~ 70 mph & I experience a very strange gear change specially at a speed of 37 ~ 40 mph

Its like when you’re driving a manual gear & you change the gear from 2nd to the 3rd with out moving your foot off the accelerator so the RPM increases suddenly & the gear then hocks up with a rough change.

Also it seems like there is some kind of gab between these two gears, I even noticed it with the sequential gear (S), but it is not as rough as the regular drive gear (D(.

my car is 08 & not included in the TSIB if we are going to use the VIn No. as refernce..

so what well it be i'm not going to live like this i paid what i paid not to get what they call normal!!
It AMAZES me that Lexus still produces cars with the transmission flare. Yeah, you got it! It is a slip of the transmission between shifts. Have you taken the car in yet for repair? Lexus claims to have a FLASH TSIB under warranty that should reprogram the computer and it should fix the issue. I would assume they would do the repair even if your VIN is outside the TSIB cut off. It has helped many, it has not helped others. I would take the car back to the dealer.

I do wish you luck, keep us in the loop.

Last edited by MD350; 04-06-08 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-06-08, 01:34 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
I've got the intermittent whining transmission sound, too, along with the minor flare issue. At this point I hope the transmission eventually fails catastrophically -- then I'll go for a buy-back and get another kind of car. Other than the mediocre transmission and the Fisher-Price stereo system, the car is very nice. But, for the amount of money I'm paying monthly for this buggy, I expect high quality. This car is simply not worth the money. If Toyota would come out with a Prius with comfortable seats, I'd dump this ES350 in a heartbeat -- that car has a well put-together interior and lacks transmission problems.
From what I have read up on this, transmission failure rate is very low at this point. The flares are more of an annoyance than anything. What damage is being done over time no one knows yet. But, the tranny is covered to 70K miles.

And as to the whine, yeah the tech heard it on a test drive with me. Said it is normal. Boy, they love that word...NORMAL. Funny how the other cars I have owned prior didn't do it.

If you take your car in for the whine nose, please let me know what your dealership says. Keep me in the loop. I will be taking mine in again soon for other issues and if there is a fix, I want to get that done too.

Last edited by MD350; 04-06-08 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 07:46 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the next whine you will hear is from the Lexus sales rep when you tell him that you will not purchase another Lexus product because of the ES350 quality issues. I received the Consumer Reports 2008 rating questionaire via e-mail. I gave them all the quality issues with the ES350.
Old 04-07-08, 07:51 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Now that was funny!