ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Service Writer Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 06:41 PM
overcated
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Writer Question

I took my ES in for it's first scheduled service and told the service writer that the transmission was slipping between 2-3 gears. He wrote "Transmission sluggish" on the work order. I also said that the brakes seemed to require abnormal pressure to stop the car. He wrote "check brakes - customer stated pulsing" on the work order. As you might expect, the repair tech stated all was normal. After I got home and read the service order, I was surprised to see that the service writer did not write down what I said. I guess the repair tech was looking for the problems as stated by the service writer. I think I would get better service if I could actually speak to the repairman. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-10-08, 05:55 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the tech take a test ride with me to listen for rattles. I would ask if you could have the tech ride with you so you could discribe/witness your issues.
Old 04-10-08, 05:03 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Ahhh... So this does actually happen in real life.

Its a constant battle to get good, acturate information from a customer through the service wrtier (consultant) as to what their concern actually is. It happens frequently and is unfortunate for both the technician, and the customer. The technician wastes time fooling with a problem that doesnt exsist, and the customer is unsatisfied due to your current situation.

I would simply go back to the dealership and tell them the issue documented on the repair order was not your complaint. As MD350 stated, you can also ride with a technician so you can speak with them one on one. We spend a lot of time going on test drives with customers that takes away from time spent in the shop, but its benficial for everyone in the long run.
Old 04-10-08, 05:50 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I of course don't know what your service advisor was doing but (1) he may have just assumed that he knew more about your problem than you, the owner, (2) he wasn't listening to you or (3) he was just lazy.

Having said that, when I last had my ES350 serviced I mentioned that I often had a noise from the front brakes when backing up. The service advisor asked "the front brakes or the back" and I again said I thought the noise was coming from the front brakes. He wrote down "noise from rear brakes on backing up", they replaced the rear pads under warranty and the problem was cured. So sometimes (1) above may be correct.

The idea of going for a test ride with the tech or at least talking to him is good.

Dave Mac
Old 04-10-08, 06:06 PM
jgtile
Driver

I find it a good idea to writeup or type out the issues in excruciating detail and put it in the request for service (or give it to the guy who drives your loaner to you if you have a dealer that does that like the Lexus dealer here). I even put down the type of noise (even if it is stupid like "a crackling thumping noise"). Hey, that is the only way to make sure you tell it like it is huh? Hope this helps.
Old 04-10-08, 06:30 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once brought in copies of TSIBs to the service department. The advisor was not pleased, he felt I knew more than him.
Old 04-10-08, 07:23 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Why they even have service advisors is still beyond me. 99% of the advisors I have dealt with have 0 and i mean zilch knowledege about a cars engine. I dont know what else to say. I told one advisor that I thought I had upper valvetrain clatter and he asked me where exactly inside the car was it rattling?$##$$@
Old 04-11-08, 03:39 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MD350
I once brought in copies of TSIBs to the service department. The advisor was not pleased, he felt I knew more than him.

I think I have mentioned this issue a while back. The problem with this isnt necessarily that you are aware of the TSIB. Its that the TSIB's are designed to aid technicians in common problems so that they do not waste too much time diagnosing problems. The vehicle still needs to be diagnosed by a technician to verify that the vehicle has the same problem outlined in the document. Some customers come in and say "Here is a TSIB, please perform this." We simply cannot go about it that way.
Old 04-11-08, 06:48 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a good tech would take the car for a drive anyway with those problems on the RO. i would check the trans shift points and quality of shifts, while also testing the brakes at varying speeds and stopping situations. i pretty much don't care too much what the advisor writes becuase they usually don't put down anything that helps anyway. if it says "brakes" somewhere, i'm going to thoroughly check the brakes in all ways so that if there's a problem, i'll find it.
Old 04-16-08, 05:24 PM
overcated
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. I returned to my dealer today for oil change and tire rotation. When the service writer gave me the work order to authorize (sign), I looked closely at what was written. He had omitted that I requested the tires be balance-checked and alignment-checked in addition to rotation (it's been a while since this was done). He was nice about it and made the corrections without any problem. This worked well.
Old 04-17-08, 12:00 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by onepointon
I think I have mentioned this issue a while back. The problem with this isnt necessarily that you are aware of the TSIB. Its that the TSIB's are designed to aid technicians in common problems so that they do not waste too much time diagnosing problems. The vehicle still needs to be diagnosed by a technician to verify that the vehicle has the same problem outlined in the document. Some customers come in and say "Here is a TSIB, please perform this." We simply cannot go about it that way.
So going in like normal and talking to the Service Advisor about your problem while neglecting to inform said SA about the TSIB forms laying on the passenger seat of your car should be ok? That way, the tech can see what was written on the order with the TSIB forms there in case of confusion?
Old 04-18-08, 01:24 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by codex57
So going in like normal and talking to the Service Advisor about your problem while neglecting to inform said SA about the TSIB forms laying on the passenger seat of your car should be ok? That way, the tech can see what was written on the order with the TSIB forms there in case of confusion?
No, there is no issue with that, that I can see.

There are some customers who come in however with a TSIB and say, here, this is the problem, perform this TSIB. There are cases when the vehicle doesnt qualify for this particular TSIB, there is a different issue, or, there is no problem with the car to begin with.

I have see some IS customers come in with the bad dusting TSIB in hand in an attempt to get free brake pads. After looking at service history, you see they already have the updated parts, but just wanted new pads free of charge. I have seen this three times. I decline the claim with a 'No problem found', and price them up a customer pay brake job if the pads are low in thickness.

There is using the knowledge properly, then just adusing the information.
Old 04-18-08, 04:59 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Sounds fair to me.
Old 04-18-08, 07:34 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by overcated
I took my ES in for it's first scheduled service and told the service writer that the transmission was slipping between 2-3 gears. He wrote "Transmission sluggish" on the work order. I also said that the brakes seemed to require abnormal pressure to stop the car. He wrote "check brakes - customer stated pulsing" on the work order. As you might expect, the repair tech stated all was normal. After I got home and read the service order, I was surprised to see that the service writer did not write down what I said. I guess the repair tech was looking for the problems as stated by the service writer. I think I would get better service if I could actually speak to the repairman. Anyone have experience with this?
Situations like this always ticked me off, until I changed my way of thinking. Rather than thinking that communication with the service drone is a 2-way street, think of it this way: you are 100% responsible for making sure that the service drone understands your concerns. Don't ever assume they understand because you spoke clearly, or because they should know what they're doing.

When in doubt, ask them to repeat your concern back to you, and then check what they wrote before signing anything. Don't ever take it for granted that they get it.
Old 04-21-08, 02:19 PM
moriarty
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
Situations like this always ticked me off, until I changed my way of thinking. Rather than thinking that communication with the service drone is a 2-way street, think of it this way: you are 100% responsible for making sure that the service drone understands your concerns. Don't ever assume they understand because you spoke clearly, or because they should know what they're doing.

When in doubt, ask them to repeat your concern back to you, and then check what they wrote before signing anything. Don't ever take it for granted that they get it.
Makes me wonder what name he has for you