Lexus ES350 Engine Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 02:25 PM
rv2843
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES350 Engine Stalling Issue

Hi there,

Just before my 2007 ES350 entered one year anniversary, my lexus started stalling on me. It happens intermittently, and mostly when the vehicle is slowing down towards stop signs or red traffic lights. In most cases, brakes are softly pressed. The engine normally stalls while the vehicle is still in motion before full stop. I have asked dealer run computer diagnosis, and everything comes back OK. Dealer also suspected bad fuel, however, as 3 more tanks of fuel are added, the stalling is getting more frequent. I searched online, and didn't find similar complains. Does anyone know if there is known secret issues, and what could be cause of it? Any comment is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-08, 04:55 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

That is definitely a new one to me. I have nothing in the last few month's Diagnostic Notes about a stalling issue.

I would keep on your dealer about this issue. Have any major repairs been done to the vehicle (IE: timing chain cover reseal, transmission replacement, ect). If it keeps stalling on you, keep taking the vehicle back and express your concern about the vehicle leaving you stranded somewhere. Its a headache for the technician, of course, but its not fair to you as the customer.

Please report back if you find out what it is, I am interested.
Old 04-10-08, 05:21 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think it has anything to do with the push button start/stop? Could that be engaging in error? Just a thought.
Old 04-10-08, 05:28 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

There have been issues with push button starts on all smart access vehicles, but not many. Its more of an initial start-up/no start/stall issue. This seems as if he has been driving for a period of time, and under idle conditions the engine seems to stall.

There may be stored trouble codes in the system, but it is also likely that there are not. Its a tough situation for the technician and the customer. Customer has a car with a problem, technician can't duplicate and really has no leads.

Its tough. Thats why I asked if any major repairs have been made. Maybe something could of been over looked in reassembly of a particular job? Its just weird that it stalls out of no where.
Old 04-12-08, 08:19 AM
rv2843
Driver School Candidate

No repairs have applied to my lexus yet.

I found the transmission gear shifts pre-maturely. It shifts down too early and I can feel the engine brake. I have transmission reprogrammed, however, that happened after the stalling probelm surfaced.
Old 04-12-08, 08:24 AM
rv2843
Driver School Candidate

I have no issues with start/stop button. Engine starts and shuts down well. It just stalls intermittently while slowing down to a full stop. It happens probably once a day. Technician has scaned the on-board computer, and everything came back negative (i.e. OK).
Old 04-12-08, 11:33 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Amazing how a couple years ago a problem with a car was simple and fixable, today we need to wait for the car to throw a code.

Do any lights flash while driving, you may have soft codes stored
Old 04-12-08, 04:52 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EDGE2
Amazing how a couple years ago a problem with a car was simple and fixable, today we need to wait for the car to throw a code.

Do any lights flash while driving, you may have soft codes stored
I actually prefer the newer stuff. There are more codes now than ever, which is very helpful on finding problems for the technicians. Stuff that years ago would of required intense knowledge of the system, now has a special code and place in the repair manual.

With things like this, it still takes a special skill to understand how the vehicle operates and to find things that would cause the vehicle to stall without setting a diagnostic trouble code.

As the cars get more and more complicated, the technicians are required to get smarter and smarter. The days of your local tire shop that 'can fix' anything are getting thinner and thinner.

BTW: If any lights or anything were flashing, there would be a stored trouble code in one of the vehicles computers that would show up with a healthcheck on the Toyota Techstream (scan tool).
Old 04-12-08, 06:50 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Get some BG44k and dump it in the gas tank and see if that might help. Also have them check and clean or replace 02 sensors. Seem like your car is running lean. If this doesnt help, have them drop the Gas tank and check the filter and injectors. Thats where I'd start.
Old 04-13-08, 10:25 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Does the stalling happen when the car is up to full operating temperature or as it's warming up? This might help narrow it down.

My suggestion is to leave the car with your dealer for a day or two & let them drive it to try & duplicate the condition you describe.
Old 04-14-08, 11:44 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

here's a good tip.... when those stalling are coming frequent to the point where you know its going to happen.. get it on video. video phone or camcorder.... show it to the dealer... cause a new car stalling is scary. i personally dont think it should have anything to do with the ignition cause all that does is just run the crank.... but then again.. its a push button to kill the engine also.. =X..... either way.... insist that there is definately a problem even if they say they're isnt a problem... completely insist that they drive that car for miles and miles until it does stall.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-15-08, 08:49 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

couple tanks of premium and get it out on the highway with some foot to the floor driving
Old 04-20-08, 07:29 PM
rv2843
Driver School Candidate

Thanks you for all your tips.

I added a bottle of water remover into the tank 9 days ago. It stalled once on the following day. It didn't stall for the next five days. Just when I was about to believing the problem was going away. It stalled once yesterday and twice today. They all happened shortly after leaving home. Today, both when vehicle was at 30 miles/hr when neither gas nor brake was pressed. Weather for the past two days was warm and sunny.

Last edited by rv2843; 04-20-08 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 07:31 PM
rv2843
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Does the stalling happen when the car is up to full operating temperature or as it's warming up? This might help narrow it down.

My suggestion is to leave the car with your dealer for a day or two & let them drive it to try & duplicate the condition you describe.
Mostly at full operating temperature.
Old 05-08-08, 12:40 PM
rv2843
Driver School Candidate

Lexus dealer called me and informed me that they have narrowed down to vehicle fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Lexus ES350 Engine Stalling Issue