ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Saying goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 05:02 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Saying goodbye

Hello everyone! I just want to thank all of you for your advice and support over the year. I have traded in my ES and went back to the Acura family. The ES was a great car, but it has the worst transmission that I just can't deal with it anymore. Yes, I am one of the people here who has flaring / tranny slip / hesitation issues since I had 300 miles on the car. Even though I paid several visits at the dealership there was no resolution as they claimed it as a "normal characteristic" of the car. The latest software update was applied, but it didn't fix the issue actual I think it made it worst since there is now even more hesitation. So after a full year of ownership, I told myself enough is enough. I took a financial hit and traded it in and got myself a 2008 Acura TLS and so far am extremely happy. I wish I have purchased this car in the first place, but I was brainwash by the reliability of the LEXUS brand. Anyway, there are several things that I will definitely miss such as the parking sensors, adaptive headlights and the smart key access, but not a dealbreaker. I know there are lot of happy ES drivers here, but from looking at the threads over the year, there are a lot more complaints / problems than positive ones. I wish you all good luck and I have attached a pic of the interior of the new TypeS and it screams SPORTINESS!! Take care and I will pop in here from time to time.

Old 04-23-08, 06:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! I owned 3 TL's prior to my ES. I loved those cars. I, too, switched to Lexus for a change that I thought would be for the better. But, my 07 is a disappointment as well.

I am surprised you did not pursue a buyback since several attempts at repair did not fix the issue. It is a shame that the owner has to absorb the financial hit on a trade in on a 1 year old car because of a mechanical issue that cannot be repaired.

Enjoy the TL, and good luck!
Old 04-23-08, 07:28 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
Congratulations! I owned 3 TL's prior to my ES. I loved those cars. I, too, switched to Lexus for a change that I thought would be for the better. But, my 07 is a disappointment as well.

I am surprised you did not pursue a buyback since several attempts at repair did not fix the issue. It is a shame that the owner has to absorb the financial hit on a trade in on a 1 year old car because of a mechanical issue that cannot be repaired.

Enjoy the TL, and good luck!
MD, believe me I tried my best to pursue a buyback. I had open a case with the Lexus Corp and was basically said that there is NOTHING wrong with the car since the dealership claim it as normal. It is very upsetting that the case manager never return my calls and I even tried escalating the problem to another manager and was told that the current case manager is the only one taking care of my region. No matter what, this is my first and last lexus. Not saying that Acura is any better, but at least I don't have to deal with this kind of BS on a new car.
Old 04-23-08, 08:21 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, sorry to hear that. Well, don't look back and enjoy that new ride!
Old 04-23-08, 08:32 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Will be joining you next year when the lease ends on our ES350. Also considering returning to the Lincoln fold for the new MKX or new MKS.
Old 04-23-08, 04:37 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Ya know, you just brought up a great point. Starting next March, 07 ES350 lease turn ins will be flowing in. I gotta get rid of mine in the next 6 months. Inventory will be very high in 2009, causing values to drop.
Old 04-23-08, 11:32 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Sorry to see you go, but I wish you the best of luck on your new ride.
Old 04-24-08, 08:01 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Listento your Lexus salesman. Everything will be beautiful as the transmission and cold engine knock noise is normal behavior for some of the 2007 models. It won't hurt trade in values at all.......
Old 04-24-08, 12:50 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well TLS vs ES? LOL very different animals.
Tranny is one thing but the ride of the ES is so smooth.

but for sure congrats on that 08 TLS
Old 04-24-08, 12:52 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I guess Im one of the few who does not have a problematic ES but still looking to get rid of it

ESDragon
I see your from NY, I've been watching the Acura deals and have been lurking on Acurazine.com and I'm just waiting for the timing to be right before decide to get a TL-S, did you finance with the 0.9 for 24-48 months or are you leasing, if you don't mind sharing your numbers I would greatly appreciate it, the lease deal they are running is 359 for 36 but unsure of actual options, over at Acurazine many have leased loaded TL-S for about 400 a month.

Sweet car and is yours a 6speed
Old 04-24-08, 02:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EDGE2
I guess Im one of the few who does not have a problematic ES but still looking to get rid of it

ESDragon
I see your from NY, I've been watching the Acura deals and have been lurking on Acurazine.com and I'm just waiting for the timing to be right before decide to get a TL-S, did you finance with the 0.9 for 24-48 months or are you leasing, if you don't mind sharing your numbers I would greatly appreciate it, the lease deal they are running is 359 for 36 but unsure of actual options, over at Acurazine many have leased loaded TL-S for about 400 a month.

Sweet car and is yours a 6speed
I have a 4/06 problem-free car (had it for 2 years next week) that I really like and am satisfied with.

Having said that, with the slow economy and slowing new car sales, it's a good time to buy a car. I think the TL is due for a makeover next model year so the deals for buying or leasing are good - And you get a proven car and drivetrain.
Old 04-26-08, 02:52 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ES,

I also took a financial hit trading out of both my ES, but it was the best thing I could have done.

After about a month you will lose the thought of wondering if your new car will develop things. You won't even think of the car in that context, the way it should be when buying a new car.

I went to Honda too to get away from the problems only you went first class and I went business class...

Good luck to you!

Last edited by ES350Bob; 04-26-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 10:20 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Hello ESDragon: I remember when you first arrived here so happy with the Es350 then suddenly after a short time the trans issue hit. You had a hard time, but glad to see you are finally out of it. So glad to see your happy again. As you know I had the same fate and moved up to the GS350. Congratulation on your new car.
Old 05-02-08, 05:06 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Talking My little review

Thank you osokuko! So far the Acura is definitely the right car for me. I had issues since 300 miles on the ES and so far I have went beyond that with the Acura. After spending almost 40k on the Lexus, you would expect that when you start to drive to work everday, you should have all smiles. It was coming to the point that I was dreading to take the ES out for a drive or with the family. But now, everyday I can't wait to get into the TLS and drive. Obviously, these two cars are two different animals. The ES really focuses on luxury while the TLS focuses on performance. Here are some pros and cons between the two vehicles:

Navigation
The Lexus has a prettier Navigation. When calculating routes, the screen is crystal clear and more intuitive. The rear view camera works very well with the parking sensors.

The Acura's navigation is good, but kind of "cartoony" and the rear view camera is kind of fuzzy meaning more glare when you put the car in reverse. I do have realtime traffic for the first 3 months and the BIGGEST PLUS is you can use the navigation while you drive.

Audio

I didn't have the ML system in my ES, but the TLS definitely has a better sound system. It does have XM radio even though I don't listen to it too much. I just play my mp3 cds and the TLS sounds amazing.

Luxury and Performance

Well, the ES definitely have the most quiet / comfortable ride. It definitely more luxury than the Acura. When driving in the highway, I feel like I am cruising on butter, very soft suspension. The TLS have the luxury feeling, but definitely more into performance. The suspension is very tight and handles a whole lot better. It seems the car has a mixture of German and the Honda VTEC combine, simply unbelievable when you drive this car.

Price and Value
The ES cost 38k before taxes and tags
The TLS cost 35k before taxes and tags with 0.9 financing for 48 months (would have cost me 32,800 if I didn't go through financing)

Here is the list of things that the Acura doesn't have:

Cooling seats, adaptive headlights, parking sensors, full size spare with tire, wood steering wheel, all season floor mats.

Overall, both cars are great but are not perfect either. But for me, the Acura fits me well. It seems have more control over the car than the Lexus. So if you have an ES without any huge issues, you should be very happy. Take care guys!

Last edited by ESDragon; 05-02-08 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 05:49 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Great write up!! Being an owner of 3 TLS previously, I couldn't agree more with your review. I do remember feeling every little bump on the TL, but had the better handling in return for the stiffer ride.

Might I add, the TL responds in a snap. You push the gas, it goes at the speed of light. Not like the ES, where the computer has to decide what to do before it gets done.

I know Acura has incentives on these cars because the 09s are coming. So, you say you can get a loaded TLS for $32,800 if you opt out of the special financing?? Wow!! That is a deal!!

Enjoy the car and watch those speed traps!! That car can get you in trouble!

Last edited by MD350; 05-02-08 at 05:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Saying goodbye