ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

GS300 to ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 11:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If you look at the age demographics on Lexus sedans, the LS has the highest average age, followed by ES, GS and then IS. I bet there are a lot of ES owners upgrading directly to LS if they want to stay in the luxury mode covered by codex.
Old 04-29-08, 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The natural progression would be to go from a top of the line of a certain class of vehicle, such as a Lexus sport sedan to the top of the line to another type of vehicle, such as a luxury sedan. Going from a GS to a ES is almost like going backwards for me.
Old 04-29-08, 01:56 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People go backwards all the time. Like downsizing houses (among other things). Just depends on what you're looking for but you don't always have to go to the most expensive thing.
Old 05-01-08, 12:35 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgtile
... By the way, are you saying you aren't having the same issues with the tranmission and inside "creaking noises" the ES has? That would be good! On the hump though, that really bothered me. When I go on cruise control, I put my right foot there and it really was ackward! Oh well. But, thanks for the intel on your GS! Maybe my next buy will be that.
GS has a different tranny from ES. I never had a problem with it, plus you can search 3GS section of the forum. Creaking noises was an issue with '06 models when they were introduced in 2005. It was so bad that even Consumer Report noted that and downgraded 3GS. With '07 models, I notice occasional squeaks while going over potholes or speed bumps when temperatures in single digits. With radio/music on its hardly noticeable. While ride is stiffer, I wouldn't mind improving it even more. Tanabe springs have been very popular with 3GS owner, but those are only for RWD models. Everybody is anxiously waiting for AWD springs to close the wheel gap a little more (1" drop) and to give you a little more control.

Regarding GS/ES/LS discussion, I don’t think its downgrading going from GS to ES. It’s more of re-evaluation of your driving priories and expectations from your daily commute. Lexus does have their own food chain of cars, but they positioned it to fit your needs rather than upgrade to the next level. Of course, LS as their flagship model is an exception and I would definitely consider going from LS to ES as a major step down. I know some people who chose IS not as a step down from GS, but because they feel GS is for “older” people. I guess me being in my early 30’s with two kids puts me in “older” category Going from GS to ES is just a different pair of more comfortable shoes with extra room for your bunions But seriously, ES value is very competitive especially when you look at non-UL model.
Old 05-02-08, 06:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by codex57
People go backwards all the time. Like downsizing houses (among other things). Just depends on what you're looking for but you don't always have to go to the most expensive thing.
Right, if you are looking to down grade, then going from a GS to a ES would be the right move.
Old 05-02-08, 07:13 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to pile on, I know several people who have moved down to a 4 cylinder car recently due to gas prices. There is nothing wrong with going down, as long as the owner is happy with their choice.
Old 05-02-08, 07:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Right, if you are looking to down grade, then going from a GS to a ES would be the right move.
Or, if one just prefers different attributes in a car, and doesn't mind saving a few $$'s in the process. Different strokes etc.

Last edited by LexBob2; 05-02-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-03-08, 06:21 AM
jgtile
Driver

twister, excellent points!!! As to downgrades from a GS to ES, if you talk about price I guess it is a downgrade. However, as I mentioned before and as others here have said, it is dependant on what you want. A friend of mine just got an IS. For a few thousand more, I got an ES (so I wondered why he didn't get an ES). He and his wife are small. They have no kids. They are younger (30 somethings...and NO this is not OLD twister!). And he wanted a "sportier" feel. Sounds like he got the right car (even though I might have bought a BMW 3 series).
Old 05-28-08, 09:29 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering about the cold engine knock...I'm in the market for an ES 350 pp + nav, Those who are having this problem are you all using premium 91+gasoline??
Old 05-29-08, 12:01 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I am. 91 octane, which is our max here in Cali unless you get the race stuff. Haven't heard it in a while since the temps have warmed up. It seems to happen much more often in very cold weather (like near freezing or below).
Old 05-29-08, 06:01 AM
2 for 1

I own both a 2000 GS3 (bought new) and a 2007 ES350 UL (a year old today, happy birthday ES). While the GS is second generation and has differences from the 3rd gen GS, I recently drove a RWD 3rd gen GS and this is what my thoughts are:

1. Both GS's are very similar. They had a more road feel than the ES.

2. The ES was by far the smoothest riding of the vehicles.

3. To my ears, the ES was quieter.

4. The performance (straight line) of the ES beats my GS3 hands down.

5. The fit and finish of both are superior to almost anything else we have ever owned including Acura and MB.

6. The materials of the interior of the GS are just a bit better and tend to be more robust for feel. Shift lever and hand holds in the rear come to mind.

7. Gas mileage in the ES is far superior to my 2K GS.

8. Sound system in the GS is almost as good as the ES ML.

All in all, they fit us well and do not regret the purchases for minute. My wife even takes the GS many times rather than the ES.

I think its all about individual taste and pocketbook. I for one cant afford to buy a new car every couple of years so we look for longevity also.

Just my 2cents.
Old 05-29-08, 12:08 PM
justbass
Driver School Candidate

We are using 91+ octane and still getting the knock at above freezing temps (I believe close to 45+ F) , and it annoys me to no end.
We will try different oil , synthetic possibly, at the 8500km change and see what happens.
Old 05-29-08, 12:10 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by garsarno
The only annoying problems I have had was with the transmission (replaced at 1,000 miles but still OK at 15,000 miles) and the knock noise upon cold start up. Also the OEM Michelin tires were gone at 10,000 miles or so. I would look at the GS350 / GS460 /LS460 before the ES350 if I were you or do what I am considering - evaluate new Lincoln series of cars.
Just saw 2 Lincoln MKS at Newark airport parked in short term parking with Michigan plates, cars look really good, everything about them looked top quality, never been impressed with the way Town Cars aged but maybe these are different