ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

GS300 to ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 11:24 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GS300 to ES350?

Anyone here moved from a 2006 or later GS to an ES350? I've had an '07 ES350 for all this week while my GS is at the dealer. I'm beginning to like the ES350 and I'm starting to think a little bit about the trade. If you made the move, are you still happy with it?
Old 04-26-08, 11:29 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only annoying problems I have had was with the transmission (replaced at 1,000 miles but still OK at 15,000 miles) and the knock noise upon cold start up. Also the OEM Michelin tires were gone at 10,000 miles or so. I would look at the GS350 / GS460 /LS460 before the ES350 if I were you or do what I am considering - evaluate new Lincoln series of cars.
Old 04-26-08, 11:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Anyone here moved from a 2006 or later GS to an ES350? I've had an '07 ES350 for all this week while my GS is at the dealer. I'm beginning to like the ES350 and I'm starting to think a little bit about the trade. If you made the move, are you still happy with it?
I think it really depends on your needs and preferences. I didn't come from a GS, but after two years of owning an ES350, I'd recommend the car - But again, I can't compare it to a GS300.

You'd probably need to look at the financial end of things regarding what it would cost you to make the trade.

Good luck...
Old 04-26-08, 02:21 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with garsarno. I, too, been disappointed with the quality of the ES. Cold engine knock, tranny issues, and severe rattle issues. The 08s seem to be better, but still not perfect.

I will say the car has lots of power and gets great MPG. Very roomy inside and a bang for the buck.

If you can get a good one, you will be ok. Take a long test drive, see if you can test it overnight when the engine is cold. Check for piston slap and slips of the tranny between shifts.

Good luck
Old 04-26-08, 07:11 PM
jgtile
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the ES also. I have the 08 UL black on black. Had minor issues but love the ride, mpg, etc. I looked at the GS350 AWD but it was/seemed smaller inside and had a smaller trunk. The AWD had an annoying bump in the drivers floor by my right foot and the AWD also was the cause for the smaller trunk. I loved the styling inside and out a little better than the ES350....but for the money, the ES won. I could have afforded the GS but I really didn't think it added value for the extra cost. Just my two cents....good luck in your decision. I agree 100% with MD350, test drive, test drive, test drive. I drove each at least 3 times before I decided I liked both equally and went with the lower price!
Old 04-26-08, 09:57 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s really apples and oranges. I moved from '07 ES350 to '07 GS350 AWD because of 2 flaring trannies and buyback, and now I consider those problems a blessing that got me out of ES350 ES ride was too soft and too comfy for my taste, felt completely numb and disconnected from the road. Also, it has too much of body lean and I found myself constantly slowing down at every turn. GS is not BMW, but ride is sportier and you feel the road better. When you flip a switch into PWR mode - you get rear wheel drive performance at whooping 300+ hp and will feel that 274 lb torque while being pushed into your seat You will lose some interior space, and it will take you about 1-2 weeks to get used to the AWD "hump". Also, you are stuck with premium gasoline. No other negative comments. After 1.5 years of having GS350, I still look forward every morning driving this car on my daily 100 mile round trip to work!
Old 04-27-08, 10:08 AM
jgtile
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
It’s really apples and oranges. I moved from '07 ES350 to '07 GS350 AWD because of 2 flaring trannies and buyback, and now I consider those problems a blessing that got me out of ES350 ES ride was too soft and too comfy for my taste, felt completely numb and disconnected from the road. Also, it has too much of body lean and I found myself constantly slowing down at every turn. GS is not BMW, but ride is sportier and you feel the road better. When you flip a switch into PWR mode - you get rear wheel drive performance at whooping 300+ hp and will feel that 274 lb torque while being pushed into your seat You will lose some interior space, and it will take you about 1-2 weeks to get used to the AWD "hump". Also, you are stuck with premium gasoline. No other negative comments. After 1.5 years of having GS350, I still look forward every morning driving this car on my daily 100 mile round trip to work!
Hey twister, I agree it is apples and oranges. They are definitely 2 different cars. Still, I guess I just didn't see the "value" in my mind after driving each about 4 times. But I definitely liked the car. By the way, are you saying you aren't having the same issues with the tranmission and inside "creaking noises" the ES has? That would be good! On the hump though, that really bothered me. When I go on cruise control, I put my right foot there and it really was ackward! Oh well. But, thanks for the intel on your GS! Maybe my next buy will be that.
Old 04-28-08, 05:55 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm still driving the loaner ES350 and like it more and more. I also think it's a very different car than the GS and intended for a different audience.

My loaner is so quiet inside. It's like night and day compared to my GS. Maybe this ES loaner is an exception. It has a much softer ride than my GS, but at this stage in my life I think I prefer it. Yes it does have a fair degree of body lean, but I was really surprised that it still holds the road very well. Tires on the ES are Bridgestone Turanza's, which is what I have on my GS. I like that the ES has more power, better gas mileage, larger interior, and larger trunk than my GS. Of course the GS' styling and handling still wins hands down in my opinion.

I haven't noticed any transmission problems, but I immediately noticed how loud the engine was after a cold start.
Old 04-28-08, 12:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We look at both cars 2 months ago before buying. Two totally differnce car for differnce buyers. If you want a soft rider go with the ES. The GS is buyer who want to have some fun once a while and still maintence somewhat of a Luxury ride and comfort. BTW, the GS350's engine is quite diff. than your old GS300. Test drive one and determine what is right for you.
Old 04-28-08, 09:06 PM
mixonchik
Rookie

handling is poor. I would stay with GS if its awd.
Old 04-29-08, 12:24 AM
love_lexus
Driver

I had 99 GS, TBH, I wouldn't go to ES350 if I were you.
When I traded my GS, I just wanted to try some one else, and ES caught my eye in every perspective. But the more I drove it, the more I felt GS was more luxury, solid and rich in every segment. I am not saying ES350 is not good, but just not as good as GS.
I will buy next gen GS again.
Old 04-29-08, 05:44 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I look at them as 2 different animals. I see the GS as a firmer ride with a tighter interior. The HP difference is no big deal for the normal daily driver. The trunk is a little tighter and may only allow for 3 cart bags so you'll have a golf buddy without a bag (HAHA). There is more of a road feel with the GS so if that is what you are looking for and also the AWD to beat the winter roads then this is your best bet. It is a little more noiser inside but fairly quite. The ES is a different breed. Much quiter and a softer ride. More room inside and as far as golf is concerned it's a 4 bagger. I came off of an AWD Jaguar X-Type which is kind of in the same class as the GS. I don't need the AWD and the firmer ride. I was in the market for a cruiser and the ES fit the bill . I looked at the new Jaguar XF but for the money you can't beat either the GS or the ES. So I think it is a matter of choise and what "floats your boat". I would suggest you make a list of what you want in a car and then compare it to either car. Good luck , and my 2 cents
Old 04-29-08, 06:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree with jagtoes. The ES and GS are BOTH good cars. They're different from each other and both have their own pros and cons. That's why Toyota/Lexus makes both of them, they appeal to different buyers.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference for the person who is paying for the car, and has to drive it everyday for a few years.
Old 04-29-08, 10:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it would be hard to go from the 3GS, a high end Lexus sport sedan to a ES, a entry level luxury sedan. The natural progression would be to go from the GS to the LS, which is a high end Lexus luxury sedan.
Old 04-29-08, 11:11 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

The 08s seem to have less incidence of transmission problems. The cold engine knock hasn't gone away though.

As far as value goes, I think it's a great car. The natural progression seems to be to go from the GS to the LS, but it's not so clear if you stop and think about it. The only real reason is it's a pricier car than the GS. Otherwise, you can make a compelling argument for the ES.

After all, the ES is a junior LS. Both are biased towards luxury and not sport. Smooth ride over handling. Quiet interior. So, if you go from a GS to an LS, you're giving up sport for a smoother ride. You can do that with the ES. Both the ES and LS are bigger than the GS, so if you're going for a bigger car, the ES fulfills that too (the primary reason I went with the ES over the GS). With the UL package, the ES has all sorts of fancy options so it's not like you're stepping down in tech.

Finally, we all work hard for our money. Not all of us wanna blow the kinda cash you need to get a LS. Especially when the ES does such a good job of what the LS is good at.

Quick Reply: GS300 to ES350?