ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

any updates expected for 2009 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 07:07 PM
piclistguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any updates expected for 2009 ES350?

Does anyone know when Lexus will publish updates to the ES350 for the 2009 model year? I am crossing my fingers that they offer a remote start option (like the camry). I would expect other refinements to better compete with the upcoming TL and current model G37 especially as the US heads into recession. Lexus simply can't rest and wait until the Mid cycle update for 2010 on this vehicle. Im curious to know from others what other updates we should expect.
Old 05-16-08, 09:26 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by piclistguy
Does anyone know when Lexus will publish updates to the ES350 for the 2009 model year? I am crossing my fingers that they offer a remote start option (like the camry). I would expect other refinements to better compete with the upcoming TL and current model G37 especially as the US heads into recession. Lexus simply can't rest and wait until the Mid cycle update for 2010 on this vehicle. Im curious to know from others what other updates we should expect.
The best places for them to spend $$$ would be to fix the problems this model suffers from: transmission flare, engine "diesel" sounds, wind noise, interior rattles/squeaks, steering vibration, etc. etc. etc. Read earlier posts for the sad and sorry long list of un-Lexus type defects.
Old 05-17-08, 05:37 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NGG
The best places for them to spend $$$ would be to fix the problems this model suffers from: transmission flare, engine "diesel" sounds, wind noise, interior rattles/squeaks, steering vibration, etc. etc. etc. Read earlier posts for the sad and sorry long list of un-Lexus type defects.
^^^^ You are spot on!!
Old 05-21-08, 07:42 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NGG
I believe they've done just that -- take a look at the last few TSBs I've posted under the TSB sticky. Issues addressed on MY08 cars from mid-May onward include the following: Transmission hiccups and dashboard squeaks/rattles. I've heard rumors that the slightly smaller outside mirrors on the 08 (versus the 07) were employed to reduce the wind noise. I haven't heard anything about fixing the engine's "diesel-like" noise and associated vibrations in the steering wheel while idling, though. Unfortunately, us early adopters won't necessarily see all these wonderful "kaizen" improvements, unless (1) we're able to "convince" our dealer service folks that the problems exist (and they know darn well they do since they have access to TSBs mentioning the problems, but oddly seem determined to say "it's normal"), and (2) we're willing to let our dealer's service folks rip apart our factory-fresh cars. I've yet to have any type of repair completed without finding some hose not clipped back in place, a plastic clip broken, stripped or missing screws, scratches on plastic engine components, mud on the carpets, etc. So, I'm leery of entrusting my expensive car with the dealers, and always have to weigh my desire to get some defect fixed against my desire to not incur cosmetic or functional damage as part of the package. I really resent this - Toyota/Lexus really needs to push its dealer franchises to improve their service departments' workmanship. They should have random inspections - factory techs randomly show up unexpectedly and examine cars rolling out of the service bay, watch workers to verify proper procedures are followed, etc.

Last edited by YotaCarFan; 05-21-08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 12:55 PM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NGG
Lexus must have spent the $$$. My 4-week old ES350 has none of those defects. Internet forums scared me enough to postpone my purchase for a a few months, then I test-drove 4 different ES350s and hard as I tried, couldn't find any of these problems. The only thing I couldn't test was diesel noise on a cold start. The coldest it's been at night here is 41 degrees and I didn't hear any strange engine noises. Maybe next winter will be different, but a temporary rough sound on a very cold startup wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

This is the first car I've ever owned that didn't need some kind of fix early on. Lexus must have implemented some changes if older ES models had all of those problems.

I highly recommend that potential buyers test drive the new ES for themselves and not rely solely on negative internet opinions.
Old 06-08-08, 09:44 AM
jgtile
Driver

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
I believe they've done just that -- take a look at the last few TSBs I've posted under the TSB sticky. Issues addressed on MY08 cars from mid-May onward include the following: Transmission hiccups and dashboard squeaks/rattles. I've heard rumors that the slightly smaller outside mirrors on the 08 (versus the 07) were employed to reduce the wind noise. I haven't heard anything about fixing the engine's "diesel-like" noise and associated vibrations in the steering wheel while idling, though. Unfortunately, us early adopters won't necessarily see all these wonderful "kaizen" improvements, unless (1) we're able to "convince" our dealer service folks that the problems exist (and they know darn well they do since they have access to TSBs mentioning the problems, but oddly seem determined to say "it's normal"), and (2) we're willing to let our dealer's service folks rip apart our factory-fresh cars. I've yet to have any type of repair completed without finding some hose not clipped back in place, a plastic clip broken, stripped or missing screws, scratches on plastic engine components, mud on the carpets, etc. So, I'm leery of entrusting my expensive car with the dealers, and always have to weigh my desire to get some defect fixed against my desire to not incur cosmetic or functional damage as part of the package. I really resent this - Toyota/Lexus really needs to push its dealer franchises to improve their service departments' workmanship. They should have random inspections - factory techs randomly show up unexpectedly and examine cars rolling out of the service bay, watch workers to verify proper procedures are followed, etc.
Hey Yoto, do you know if the Elite Rated Lexus dealers are any different and they should do a better job. I am taking mine in for the 5000 mile check next week and I did go to an Elite Rated dealer. We will see if they do anything different but I have them checking a few of these things (but I am like you, before now, everytime I had my car into dealers, something wasn't put on right). I hope I have a better experience (and I will report after next week), but wanted to know if you had any experience or knowledge on Elite dealers.