ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 06:35 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thought to throw things into perspective regarding the ES350:

What do you think is the best Lexus model ever made?
What do you think is the worst Lexus model ever made?

If the ES350 doesn't have many problems, then surely there is a worse Lexus model than this one. Just as the LS400\430 is probably considered the benchmark of Lexus quality, there has to be something at the other end that has the .............. worst Lexus quality.

I get to drive GM and Ford vehicles quite regularly, and these is a huge distinction between their "good" and "bad" models. Every manufacturer has their bad models, it's just the way it is.

So is there a worse Lexus model than the ES350 and if so, what is it???
Old 06-19-08, 07:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Here is some additional information on the ES350:
-According to Consumer Reports, reliability has dropped to "Average".
-The ES350 is "Recommended" by CR.
-According to CR, it's the 2nd highest rated car in the segment (91 points) behind G35 (92 points) and ahead of TL (90 points).
-In CR's Used Car Reliability, the '07 ES350 is rated "Above Average" for both "Trans Major" and "Trans Minor".
-The two areas rated "Average" are Body Integrity and Audio System.
-In the recent JD Power Initial Quality Survey the ES was in the top 3 ranking for mid-sized cars behind Infiniti M and MB E class (both $50K cars).
Old 06-20-08, 06:27 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
So is there a worse Lexus model than the ES350 and if so, what is it???
Browsing the other model forums on this site seems to indicate more problems with the ES than others. But this is hardly scientific.

My personal experience is limited to a 07 ES350 and an 07 IS350. The ES was a lemon, the IS a 9 on a scale of 1-10.

I don't think the ES350 is one of Lexus' better efforts. It is supposed to be the last model based on the Camry. The next is reported to be a rear wheel drive. Hope it is up to Lexus standards.
Old 06-21-08, 05:22 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LJL888
I believe there are a lot out there that don't have issues but also alot out there that do. Unfortunately, I am one of the unlucky ones. I guess it is a hit or miss thing. There probably is no solution if Lexus will not do a buyback...either live with the problem or cut my losses and get rid of the car while it still has some value and just move on to another car. This is my first Lexus and I am disappointed with the brand due to this lingering issue. Not sure what car to replace it with...maybe a Honda since my overall experience with them has been pretty good.
Give it some time...to learn.

Seriously though, I chose not to go the tranny replacement route two years ago after seeing the bad results of so many. I'm glad I did as my flares (never major) have all but disappeared. Yeah, if I go out and punch it from a dead cold start it will flare. But that's not how I drive my car. Never have...never will.

After two years, I'm pretty happy with my move up from my sweet 10 year old ES. What more can one ask of a vehicle, but to be problem free for 10 years. Don't know at this point, but check back with me in 8.

Knock, knock, knock...

Last edited by Macklin; 06-21-08 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-21-08, 07:08 AM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
After two years, I'm pretty happy with my move up from my sweet 10 year old ES. What more can one ask of a vehicle, but to be problem free for 10 years. Don't know at this point, but check back with me in 8.

Knock, knock, knock...
I know what you mean. My last Camry was a great car too and I'm glad the ES is based on it. It was 14 years old and had 190K miles on it when I traded it in. Never had any breakdowns, only normal maintenance (break jobs, etc.) and it was still smooth and quiet the last day I drove it.

Other than a few options, the only thing the ES shares with the Camry now is the bases of the power train and the basic platform, which are the parts one would want carried over. The rest of the ES is completely Lexus.

The only thing Lexus might change in future ES's is a modified power train so they can possibly add all-wheel/rear wheel, hybrid drive). But the ES will always be based on a Camry platform.

People like to talk about the Camry/ES platform sharing, but every auto maker does the same. The Audi TT is based on the Volkswagen Beetle platform, the Audi A4 and A6 are based on a Volkswagen Passat platform, Linclon Navagator is a Ford Expedition, Infinity is a Nissan, Acura TL is a Honda Accord, the Jaguar X400 is based on a Ford Thunderbird, etc, etc.

It's called badge engineering, it's a necessity in today's economy, and it's not going away. It's not a bad thing because most owners of the higher end "versions" of the platform would never mistake it for the lower-end version. In fact, many Camry owners will proudly proclaim that their car is based on a Lexus platform!