ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is the GS350AWD worth an extra $17K?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 11:14 PM
My 1st SUV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the GS350AWD worth an extra $17K?

Thinking of buying top of the line ES350 or top of the line GS350AWD.

When comparing the features, it all boils down to the fact that I am paying an extra $17K for AWD (it snows in Canada) instead of FWD, 31 more HP, fancier braking and steering systems, power folding side mirrors and a few more minor features. Of course what price do I pay for the prestige of a GS over an ES?

I can afford it, but am I crazy to spend it? Anybody have this dilemna?
Old 07-08-08, 05:46 AM
Wanda
Driver School Candidate

It really has to be determined by your needs and driving style. I just got out of the GS and into the ES. I really disliked the GS... I drive at least 20,000 miles per year and am a very big guy. I found the GS to be uncomfortable. It took raod bumps very hard and I also found it to handle poorly in the snow. I suspect the reason it was so bad in the snow was that it had the low profile, run flat tires (huge mistake).

So far I am loving the ES, it has the comfort I want. I haven't driven it in the snow, but I can't imagine it will be worse than the GS. Good luck.
Old 07-08-08, 10:48 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I'd just buy an AWD BMW or Infiniti. Despite it's exterior dimensions, the GS feels snug in both the passenger areas and the trunk. Not worth $17K over a loaded ES to me. I mean, I like the car and all, but $17K premium is a bit rich for me. Even if I could afford it. Well, I prolly can, but my mind can't justify it currently.

The AWD BMW 3 series or Infiniti G would provide the sporty driving of the GS w/out the price tag. Since the GS isn't exactly roomy, you're not really losing anything by going with the BMW or Infiniti.
Old 07-09-08, 10:51 PM
My 1st SUV
Driver School Candidate

Wanda, you sound just like my wife. The GS AWD comes stock with summer tires in Canada! I will have to buy snow tires anyways.

I copied my question on the GS board and they are more biased toward the GS of course.

Codex, the GS is same dimensions as ES except the GS has the hump in the rear and the hump next to the console on the drivers side (for AWD)
Old 07-10-08, 11:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by My 1st SUV
Wanda, you sound just like my wife. The GS AWD comes stock with summer tires in Canada! I will have to buy snow tires anyways.

I copied my question on the GS board and they are more biased toward the GS of course.

Codex, the GS is same dimensions as ES except the GS has the hump in the rear and the hump next to the console on the drivers side (for AWD)
We get a lot of snow here in IL, but probably not as much as in BC. I've found the FWD, ABS, TRAC and VSC in the ES handle the snow and ice nicely. I'm sure the AWD would do better in real bad conditions. Around here they get the roads and streets cleared off pretty quickly after it snows and keep up during heavy snow. IMO the choice comes down to personal preference. They're two different cars. Good luck...
Old 07-10-08, 01:29 PM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

The only prestige you'll enjoy will be from other Lexus owners. No one else knows or cares about IS, ES, GS, etc. As far as my friends are concerned I drive "a Lexus." When a co-worker saw a GS in our lot, he said he was glad I didn't go for the hatchback version.

The interior dimensions of the GS must be smaller than the ES. If not Lexus sure makes the GS feel cramped inside, and I'm only 6'2". I didn't care for that or the fact there's barely enough room in the trunk for a lunch box.
Old 07-10-08, 02:27 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Get the fully loaded ES350. You gonna love the way it feels..... It's really close to the "perfect" car. It's built like a tank, yet cool and sleek....and it's just feels really nice to drive long distance with it.
Old 07-10-08, 08:02 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

I have one word for you about the GS (well, maybe two):

HATCHBACK

Game, set, match.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 07-13-08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 10:19 PM
My 1st SUV
Driver School Candidate

You are so right Tarkio

I line up the stock photos from the brochures of the GS and ES side by side with comparable view profiles. For the normal person glancing at the Lexus while driving down the street, it is very hard for them to distinguish between the GS and ES!

I'm leaning toward the ES, and save the money for a theater room!

I think the hatch profile makes the back feel smaller but the specs on their website show the trunk and back similar in dimensions
Old 07-11-08, 06:30 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

You are so right Tarkio

I line up the stock photos from the brochures of the GS and ES side by side with comparable view profiles. For the normal person glancing at the Lexus while driving down the street, it is very hard for them to distinguish between the GS and ES!

I'm leaning toward the ES, and save the money for a theater room!

I think the hatch profile makes the back feel smaller but the specs on their website show the trunk and back similar in dimensions
Published dimensions lie.

Just sit in either the front or back seat of a GS compared to an ES and then actually look at the two trunks and then let me know what you think.

The GS is C-R-A-M-P-E-D in all significant dimensions.

The ES is an infinitely better buy.
Old 07-11-08, 06:32 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I need the large back seat for my kids. I am 6' 3" and place the driver's seat far back. I need the interior space on the ES.

Better MPG, more space, larger trunk, cheaper price...no brainer. ES all the way
Old 07-13-08, 06:07 PM
jgtile
Driver

Thinking of buying top of the line ES350 or top of the line GS350AWD.

When comparing the features, it all boils down to the fact that I am paying an extra $17K for AWD (it snows in Canada) instead of FWD, 31 more HP, fancier braking and steering systems, power folding side mirrors and a few more minor features. Of course what price do I pay for the prestige of a GS over an ES?

I can afford it, but am I crazy to spend it? Anybody have this dilemna?
Hey My1stSUV, I spent 6 months researching cars before I bought my 08 ES UL. I looked at MB, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Acura, etc. I drove everything....including the GS. Now, bottom line is that to each his own. But here is my thoughts. I did love the GS' styling outside and inside better than the ES. The console was better laid out and the GS had suspension controls (sport, etc.). I also liked the squared off console with the round buttons (vs. the ES rounded off console with square buttons).
However, the GS is smaller inside (including the trunk) partially due to the AWD. There was a hump in the floor in the driver's well that just drove me nuts. And as far as AWD, here in Pennsylvania, the front wheel drive does a very good job (but it isn't Canada where AWD may be better and more practical). The ride in the GS had a little more hp but I really didn't notice that big of a power surge. But for $7K more (not $17K), just as much luxury and a bigger inside and trunk, I opted for the ES. Now, I really loved the styling better but for overall value (and I could have afforded the GS), I chose the ES. Well, good luck in your decision. Either way, you will have a Lexus!!!!
Old 07-15-08, 10:03 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tarkio
The interior dimensions of the GS must be smaller than the ES. If not Lexus sure makes the GS feel cramped inside, and I'm only 6'2". I didn't care for that or the fact there's barely enough room in the trunk for a lunch box.
The fact that the GS is RWD (or AWD, for the AWD version) may have a little something to do with that; not saying that it is the only reason for it...but it definitely is a factor.
Old 07-15-08, 11:44 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

For 17k difference, probably not. But in the US, the difference is not even half that. And for me, I think the 7k difference was justifiable although I must say the GS is smaller inside. But the driving feel + AWD were important to me. I am actually driving an ES350 loaner today so... There are other small things but it's more personal preference.
Old 07-15-08, 05:29 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

If the GS had the interior room of the ES, I feel it would be worth the extra $5,000 to $7,000.

Quick Reply: Is the GS350AWD worth an extra $17K?