ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I drove a 2008 ES350 for a day

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 11:31 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I drove a 2008 ES350 for a day

I recently drove a 12/07 build 2008 ES350 with around 1800 miles on it as a dealer loaner. Having sold my original ES350 after less than a year (and having gone through therapy to get over that experience) this was an interesting trip for a day in this car.

The wind noise around the doors and mirrors seems solved . It was like night and day compared to my old car. I noticed that the door rubber is of a different fit around the front interior A-pillar base, so it looks to me like they definitely changed the design on that. The mirrors are also different I believe, and whatever they've done has really worked. If anyone is still struggling with this issue on an early build, go and look at the newer builds at the dealer and see if you can see a difference in the rubber. If so, I'd get them to replace it under warranty for you.

The things that stuck out as being quite good to me were the wood steering wheel, quiet and sealed windows, fuel economy (28mpg on my day of driving), initial heated seat warmth, engine power and build quality. Build quality was better than my original build ES350 for sure, particularly around the top of the dash with the speaker vents and also the alignment of the wood trim in the lower console .

The leather while not great, was also very acceptable for a car in this class.

The things that weren't so great were the heated seats (heat faded after a while), seat comfort (butt and back hurt after about 10 mins), seat cushion length (too short), seat headrests (too hard), rear visibility, cold engine clack-clack and the really basic sounding audio system. The FM reception was just crap on the basic sound system, and my ES had that problem as well. The audio system in the RX smokes the ES350 base audio, and the IS250 is better as well. Clearly some cost cutting here....

And finally the trans. It's the first ES350 I've ever driven that didn't flare or slip. OK - it tried to do it a few times, but they seem to have tamed it with electronic trickery. The 3-4 shift was just odd at times, and would go to change gears, hold the revs for 1 or 2 seconds at the exact RPM change point, then slam into gear with a harsh change. Still, it's better doing this electronic modification stuff than doing a real flare. It's a woeful trans, but it's probably the best they can do with it at this point. Still very disappointing considering Lexus makes other awesome 6 speed auto transmissions.
Old 07-15-08, 12:08 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having an 08 ES350 as loaner today and would like to have some input as well.

The vehicle has 6000 miles approximately. I can't comment on the wind noise but I dislike the 08 steering wheel. The buttons are covered with one piece silicone (I assume it's silicone?) and the feel when you push the buttons does not seem as crispy. Although it might keep out the dust better?

The car is very quiet like you mentioned. I did not test the heated seats (it's 88 outside right now...) but the ventilated seats work about the same as my 3GS. As for engine power, well, it feels a lot more tame compared to my 3GS but then, the ES350 targets a different audience. Although I must say that the shifting pattern did seem a little bit odd to me, and like you said, harsh at times.

As for the fit and quality, I did notice that one of the speaker grills is not lined up as well as the others, but that could have been a result from external force pushing it in? I also noticed that the driver seat lumbar support isn't as prominent as the 3GS. I didn't listen to the audio system at all since I was trying to listen to any rattles. There were a few but nothing major.

One thing I personally didn't like was the fact that there were lettering on the wood pieces for the audio for the *****... And the wood pieces didn't seem matching at all. Lastly, I can't get over the way the center arm rest compartment opens/closes.
Old 07-16-08, 04:04 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, Toyota only has 1 6-speed tranny. And your loaner still had a weird tranny. Mine doesn't hold revs on the 3-4 shift. It shifts like it does at any other gear - smooth. With no flares.
Old 07-16-08, 05:13 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad Toyota appears to have listened to people's concerns about wind noise and to have fixed that issue. Did the vehicle you drove have a lot of engine vibration in the steering wheel and seat when idling in Drive with the A/C running?

None of the cars built before May 2008 will be immune from the transmission thunk issue (euphemistically called "torque converter shudder" by Toyota). If you feather the gas pedal up and down after the car upshifts, it'll seem as if the transmission shifts harshly into gear; the reality is the torque converter lock-up mechanism is engaging harshly.

Toyota really needs to put a decent quality base-model stereo in this expensive car. The existing one is painful to listen to -- FM is worse than a low-end boom box, and even when playing digital sources (CD or iPod via Aux jack) the sound is mediocre at best -- harsh exaggerated highs, vague midrange, and no bass. Unacceptable, in my opinion.
Old 07-16-08, 06:56 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by codex57
As I understand it, Toyota only has 1 6-speed tranny. And your loaner still had a weird tranny. Mine doesn't hold revs on the 3-4 shift. It shifts like it does at any other gear - smooth. With no flares.
Toyota actually has many 6 speed trans:
- The 04-06 LS430's have 6 speed autos (RWD), and that's a truly great trans.
- The IS350\250 are 6 speed as well, as is the GS, and they're all RWD.
- The new LX has a 6 speed, which I'm sure is a different trans again.
- The SCs 6 speed is possibly similar to that used in the LS430.

The ES350 6 speed FWD trans is shared with the Camry of course. I'm not sure - is this the only 6 speed FWD trans Toyota has?
Old 07-16-08, 07:02 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
I'm glad Toyota appears to have listened to people's concerns about wind noise and to have fixed that issue. Did the vehicle you drove have a lot of engine vibration in the steering wheel and seat when idling in Drive with the A/C running?
Yes - the steering wheel, seat, console and door all vibrated to an extent. Not as bad as my old ES350 though, but it was still there.
Old 07-23-08, 03:31 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Toyota actually has many 6 speed trans:
- The 04-06 LS430's have 6 speed autos (RWD), and that's a truly great trans.
- The IS350\250 are 6 speed as well, as is the GS, and they're all RWD.
- The new LX has a 6 speed, which I'm sure is a different trans again.
- The SCs 6 speed is possibly similar to that used in the LS430.

The ES350 6 speed FWD trans is shared with the Camry of course. I'm not sure - is this the only 6 speed FWD trans Toyota has?
You're right, I meant to say it's the only FWD 6 speed that I'm aware of. Basically, it's this FWD tranny and the various V6s. ES, Camry, Avalon, Solara, RX... Possibly Highlander and Sienna too?
Old 07-23-08, 09:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Didn't the Tundra have the same problems with its 6 speed as the Camry and ES did?

I too enjoy the ES350. I found it to be a fun car to drive. I'd consider getting one after I get through graduate school....in 6 years. Then maybe I can afford an '08. Maybe.

I do think that the ES could benefit from AWD and/or direct injection to set it apart from the Camry.
Old 07-24-08, 03:42 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Yeah, when directly compared with the Camry, there's not enough to distinguish it to justify the huge price premium from the top line Camry to just the base ES.