ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

disconnect seatbelt buzzer on es350

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 11:09 AM
lbk-tider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnect seatbelt buzzer on es350

How do I disconnect the seat belt buzzer/dinger on my 2008 ES 350.
Old 07-17-08, 12:35 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It goes off automatically after about 45 seconds. You'll hear the slow ding then a rapid ding that eventually will cease completely.

However, you will still have that little red flashing icon up in the dash.

On my 2001 Toyota Spyder I was able to disable the flashing icon simply by unplugging a harness underneath the seat. I have seen no such harness on my 2008 ES350 though.
Old 07-17-08, 12:36 PM
static
Driver

There are 2.

The first one dings 5 times if the seat belt is off when you start the car.

The second one is really irritating, it starts dinging after the car starts moving and then gets even more irritating and eventually stops.

The first I don't think can be shut off.

The second one, the dealer can disable through personalized settings, it's listed in the manual.
Old 07-17-08, 02:14 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I had all of my seat belt warning sounds disabled by the dealer thru the personalized settings when I got the car. You may have to remind your service advisor that (1) there isn't a requirement for audible warnings in almost all states and (2) it advises in your owner's manual that you can have them turned off by your dealer.

The warning light stays operational and that is good in case you or a passenger forget to put their belt on. I have been a big proponent of seat belt usage for over 50 years but don't need or like the bells and buzzers.

Dave Mac
Old 07-18-08, 11:24 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

Dave Mac, are you including the five dings at first when you say "all". When I requested my dealer to disable them, they only did the second set of rapid dings, I still have the initial 5 when I start the car. If I can get those turned off as well, I will do it. Thanks.
Old 07-18-08, 12:44 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Yes, I "usually" hear no "dings" at all re. my seat belts. I've had them turned off for 18 months and maybe once a month I will hear the initial "dings". It always surprises and I am unable to ascertain what I might have done diferrent in my start up routine that caused the dings. And at only once a month at most I don't worry about it.

I'm sure this answer didn't clear up any questions but I can only say that all sounds are off just about all of the time.

Dave Mac
Old 07-18-08, 12:49 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Thinking a bit about this issue with the initial dings I do remember that when I had it done by the dealer it took two attempts to get everyting off and the second involved the use of a lap top rather than a simpler process which I don't believe involved a laptop - maybe a scan tool. I of course did not get to witness this process because we were having a disagreement as to whether even turning off the warning sounds was legal.

Dave Mac
Old 08-04-08, 03:02 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

took my car in over the weekend for rattles and asked them to check on this as the car was delivered to me with the personal settings exactly as i would have set them myself save for this seat belt buzzer...it is now completely as Dave Mac says; no dings at all, just the flashing red guy.

if your SA will not do it, open up the manual and refer to the back where it plainly states that you can customize this setting.
Old 08-16-11, 04:56 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codejd
It goes off automatically after about 45 seconds. You'll hear the slow ding then a rapid ding that eventually will cease completely.

However, you will still have that little red flashing icon up in the dash.

On my 2001 Toyota Spyder I was able to disable the flashing icon simply by unplugging a harness underneath the seat. I have seen no such harness on my 2008 ES350 though.
Future owner of your car should be dead if the car crashes. Work of Airbags depends on many sensors. One you disconnected. So airbags were off.

In my country this is joke if one say "i disconnected cable under seat". It means automaticaly "kamikadze".
Old 08-16-11, 06:35 AM
flipp4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RenatUSSR
Future owner of your car should be dead if the car crashes. Work of Airbags depends on many sensors. One you disconnected. So airbags were off.

In my country this is joke if one say "i disconnected cable under seat". It means automaticaly "kamikadze".
Umm, No. That just sounds rediculious. There is no chance in hell that turning off the buzzer disarms the airbags (wich is illeagal). If the owners manual says you can turn the beeping off than you can. If it disabled the air bags then it def wouldnt say you could. Turning off the beeping isnt the same as disconecting the sensor, it is simply the notification of the sensor (the light and the beeps)
Old 08-22-11, 06:07 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

That just sounds rediculious. There is no chance in hell that turning off the buzzer disarms the airbags (wich is illeagal)
Ofcourse if you turn off the buzzer by "ODO" button there is no problem. Do you think that this sensor under the seat responsible only for buzzer ? I just heard that this is not true. The signal come from seats to ECU and it influences not only on buzzer.

If no one seating in front passenger seat, will airbag work in case of crash? Yes, they should not work if no one seats.. So, if this sensor under seat influences ONLY on buzzer or it comes to ECU and plays bigger role than just on/off buzzer... Try to think about this. About the purpose of this sensor. You can ask your dealer about this.

I didn't want to risk, so I just turn off buzzer by "ODO" button.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_Epmdajvc
In english this means "buzzer off". No unplugged wires under the seat.

Last edited by RenatUSSR; 08-22-11 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-22-11, 07:33 AM
RenatUSSR
Pole Position

Take a look.

Do you still think that occupant sensor goes directly to multi-buzzer?