ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Windshield issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 07:39 PM
Hitcher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield issue

I have an issue with the windshield on my 08 -ES 350. The car has about 300 miles on it now. My issue is driving in direct sunlight, it's as if there is overspray all over the windshield. It's as if you're driving in a very fine mist of rain. I plan to go by the dealership tomorrow and see if any other brand-new 350's have the same issue. It's hard to tell whether it's on the inside or the outside, looks like it's on the outside. Cleaning the windshield seems to have little effect if any. It is really only noticeable when driving towards the sun. I don't know if maybe it was the bad day at the windshield laminating plant and it's actually between the layers of glass. I don't know if the windshield was treated with anything, I do know it's very hard to get a streak free clean. Which would lead me to believe that it's possibly overspray. Even my 24-year-old BMW with its pitted windshield looks better than this one and it's easier to clean. By the way it is a factory Lexus windshield...........
Old 07-25-08, 08:35 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Possibly a manufacturing defect but more likely something is on the glass either outside or inside. I've usually been able to remove things like this with a claybar (the same as you would use on your paint) and windex. The claybar or course won't fix a pitted windshield if that happens to be the case.

Can you tell how far down (or up) this condition exist on your windshield?

Dave Mac
Old 07-26-08, 10:35 AM
Hitcher
Driver School Candidate

Hello Dave, well I did some investigating on the issue yesterday and discovered it's definitely on the outside. It must be some sort of overspray.... water-based products do not remove it. If you sit there with a fingernail you can eventually rub it off. I consider it a dealer issue for the fact that I do not want to use any kind of solvent on the windshield, or should I say I do not want to be responsible for using any sort of solvent on the windshield. Thank you for your reply....Jeff
Old 07-26-08, 10:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitcher
Hello Dave, well I did some investigating on the issue yesterday and discovered it's definitely on the outside. It must be some sort of overspray.... water-based products do not remove it. If you sit there with a fingernail you can eventually rub it off. I consider it a dealer issue for the fact that I do not want to use any kind of solvent on the windshield, or should I say I do not want to be responsible for using any sort of solvent on the windshield. Thank you for your reply....Jeff
That sounds like a good plan. If it is some type of overspray, the dealer will probably know what it is, whether it's from them or from production/shipping and how to safely remove it.
Old 07-26-08, 12:44 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all vehicles built over seas get some kind of overspray when shipped via ship, to protect them from the sea-air.

I would then assume this spray is removed at the port or at the dealer. Something may have been missed. You may also want to check your paint.
Old 07-26-08, 02:19 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw this on a loaner ES350 that I just had. The car had 700 miles on it and I saw exactly what you were talking about. Thankfully my car doesn't have the issue!
Old 07-26-08, 09:15 PM
Hitcher
Driver School Candidate

Took the car to the dealer today service manager was definitely able to see the problem. He took it back to the detail department.I think they just used some window cleaner and a razor blade. As far as if it is on the paint.... It was such a fine mist I doubt that I would ever see it.... something I noticed before taking the car in I could not raise the windshield wipers from the window without them hitting the hood . now they clear the hood fine but it does not seem like they are in the normal park position. did they readjust the wipers or is there a way to take them in and out of Park position to clean the window? Thanks again in advance

Last edited by Hitcher; 07-26-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-27-08, 06:30 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The wipers can be put in a winter mode, which keeps them slightly higher from the parked position during snowy conditions. Check the manual, but I believe you can just push them down to get them back into the non-winter mode.
Old 07-27-08, 10:24 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
The wipers can be put in a winter mode, which keeps them slightly higher from the parked position during snowy conditions. Check the manual, but I believe you can just push them down to get them back into the non-winter mode.
Correct, just a slightly forceful push downward on either wiper arm (not the blade) - do not attempt this with the wipers pivoted away from the windshield.