ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Considering ES350, need owners opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 02:24 PM
Scottward
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got one. For the price, luxury, quiteness, features, room, fuel economy and ability to drive in the snow (if need be) you can't beat it. Lexus has this lower-end Comfort/Luxury niche mastered. Almost all the other makes have moved toward the Sport/Luxury market. Also when I say lowerend, it is all relative since the new ES was benchmarked against the older Lexus LS series. Kaizen rules!!!!
Old 08-04-08, 05:16 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Just curious....I do not have the ML sound system but rented a GS with it when I was having the 1000 mi checkup on my ES350 and I honestly did not notice a huge difference in the sound quality. The front speaker on the GS was blown already. And I do have a tendancy to play my music a little loud.
What am I missing?
Old 08-04-08, 05:57 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luvmy350
Just curious....I do not have the ML sound system but rented a GS with it when I was having the 1000 mi checkup on my ES350 and I honestly did not notice a huge difference in the sound quality. The front speaker on the GS was blown already. And I do have a tendancy to play my music a little loud.
What am I missing?

You can rent a GS?
Old 08-04-08, 06:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Was it a rental or a loaner?
Old 08-04-08, 07:04 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What am I missing?
HI,

In my opinion, and this is just an opinion, the ML system is not about the "end all" in high volume (maybe BOSE is?). If you want lots of volume and gut thumping bass, then go with an aftermarket set-up that is designed for high volume levels; that ain't what the ML in the 350 was designed for. The ML system was designed for detail, dynamic range (ability to play from pp, not possible to hear ppp in this car on most roads at 60 MPH, to fff), sound staging, and definition. The system sounds MUCH better than the stock system, no doubt about that to my ears. If you cannot hear the difference please realize that people do hear differently and environmental experiences throughout the day have an effect on what things sound like. This is no fault of yours, mine, or the ML system, just the way things are.

All that being said, the ML plays plenty loud, at least for me. The quality of that sound gives me the entertainment that I want and expect from a high cost option. I use the EQ (aka tone controls) to correct for deficiencies in the source material, not to pump the volume and "voice" the system; there is only so much you can do before the sound becomes unnatural (or sounds like its being "forced" by the process). I am very satisfied by the sound (and entertainment options) of the ML system {CD, DVD video (yes , I can), iPod via VaisTech, AM, FM, Tape, and Sirius satellite (darn, I keep forgetting that it's not a standard built in item, maybe because of the SAT button and maybe because I can control it through the Nav system. Got to keep reminding myself it was an option) And no, the satellite radio does not sound like AM radio.
Old 08-04-08, 07:48 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Thanks for the information guys I really appreciate it. I love Toyota and would like to stay with the Toyota family so the ES350 is what I was leaning towards but I wanted as much info as I could get from true owners of the car. I was looking at getting a 08, I have heard way too many bad things about the 07 (Transmission and rattles). Like I said I am looking to buy it used. What I'm looking for is a smooth nice ride with some room to it for me and for my kids to be comfortable in the back. I am not looking for sport handling more of a cushion ride that is quiet in the inside and the ES seems to fit that mold I was just worried on the problems that people listed. But that seems to be more of the 07's. Thanks again for people who also listed qualities about the TL. I think the ES is the way I will go.
Old 08-04-08, 10:16 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try e-bay motors for deals but be careful - lots of '07 buybacks.
Old 08-04-08, 11:58 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by GiantsInFL
What I'm looking for is a smooth nice ride with some room to it for me and for my kids to be comfortable in the back. I am not looking for sport handling more of a cushion ride that is quiet in the inside and the ES seems to fit that mold I was just worried on the problems that people listed. But that seems to be more of the 07's. Thanks again for people who also listed qualities about the TL. I think the ES is the way I will go.
Whoah. Yeah, the TL is one of the last cars I'd look at. The ES sounds exactly what you're looking for (I had similar goals in mind when I was purchasing). In all honesty, I think the TL has comparable, if not better, luxury than the ES350. Especially if it's not the Ultra Luxury package. However, interior and trunk size as well as smooth ride where my main objectives and the ES is great in that dept.
Old 08-04-08, 01:14 PM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by codex57
Whoah. Yeah, the TL is one of the last cars I'd look at. The ES sounds exactly what you're looking for (I had similar goals in mind when I was purchasing). In all honesty, I think the TL has comparable, if not better, luxury than the ES350. Especially if it's not the Ultra Luxury package. However, interior and trunk size as well as smooth ride where my main objectives and the ES is great in that dept.
Yea the ES is the way I would have preferred to go but I just wanted to make sure that people who owned the car liked it. I didnt want to pay the difference from a Camry XLE V6 to the ES with the ES not being worth the extra $$.
Old 08-04-08, 01:38 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

A word of advice, if you aren't already aware: If your height approaches or exceeds 6 feet, make sure you are OK with the modest head room in the ES and Camry.

It's the biggest complaint I have with the car, but the rest of the car is pleasurable enough to compensate. I vary my hairstyles greatly, and my hair often brushes the headliner. This results in me having to recline the seat more than I normally would in other cars, which puts my arms further away from the steering wheel.

That would normally be fine with a telescoping wheel, but the ES's wheel does not telescope out far enough for me. I am 6' 1" tall.
Old 08-04-08, 02:50 PM
Scottward
Driver

What am I missing?
There is a HUGE difference between the stock ES system and the ML upgrade in the UL!

Now, the IS has a pretty decent stock system and I could not notice that much difference, but again on the ES it is like night and day. I personally never checked out the GS stock or ML systems.

Again, I highly recommend the ML system in the ES and the other nice little upgrades you get in the UL such as softer LS460 analine leather, nicer rims and panoramic roof.
Old 08-04-08, 06:09 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^I agree 100%
Old 08-05-08, 06:32 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by superchan7
A word of advice, if you aren't already aware: If your height approaches or exceeds 6 feet, make sure you are OK with the modest head room in the ES and Camry.

It's the biggest complaint I have with the car, but the rest of the car is pleasurable enough to compensate. I vary my hairstyles greatly, and my hair often brushes the headliner. This results in me having to recline the seat more than I normally would in other cars, which puts my arms further away from the steering wheel.

That would normally be fine with a telescoping wheel, but the ES's wheel does not telescope out far enough for me. I am 6' 1" tall.
Yea I am 5'9" so I'm good in that respect. Like I said I have a 04 Camry now and I love the room in the car. I know the new Camry is a little bit larger in the inside so I would think that the ES is as well. But headroom will not be a issue with me. Its unfourtionate that the stock sound system is not that good, I wasn't expecting a booming system but one that has a nice sound without the ML upgrade. Oh well.
Old 08-05-08, 01:32 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsInFL
Yea I am 5'9" so I'm good in that respect. Like I said I have a 04 Camry now and I love the room in the car. I know the new Camry is a little bit larger in the inside so I would think that the ES is as well. But headroom will not be a issue with me. Its unfourtionate that the stock sound system is not that good, I wasn't expecting a booming system but one that has a nice sound without the ML upgrade. Oh well.
I would not say the stock ES system is terrible, but a true audiophile would not be satisfied. I have read threads where some have upgraded just the door speakers with great results. I would say the stock system is no worse than the BOSE system in the G35/37.
Old 08-05-08, 01:58 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Default ...

well i really doubt that upgrading the door speaker would be sufficient. The door speakers are hooked up in series with the tweeters in the dash, and the tweeters have some sort of cross over that really limits what signal gets to the door speakers, I would say redo the whole system

just go test drive and see for yourself. I have the stock speaker system.. its terrible, but its not the best. Im still saving to redo the system.

Quick Reply: Considering ES350, need owners opinions.