ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Partial brake failure ES350 07

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 05:32 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partial brake failure ES350 07

I am wanting to know if any drivers or technicians have seen or experienced partial brake failure in the ES350. Starting experiencing last week and became significantly worse yesterday. When coming to a gradual stop the brake pedal becomes spongy and needs depressing almost to the floor board before coming to a stop. The more I press the less it seems to engage. However, stops on a dime if I have to quickly depress the brake pedal as if someone pulled out in front of me. The fluid is almost to the max line and the cap has never even been taken off. No, I do not have the floor mats that caused this issue a year or so ago. Mileage is 13,200 on my 07. Dropping it off first thing in the morning. Any thoughts?

EDIT UPDATE:
It is found that the brake fluid is not brake fluid. The composition is unknown at this time. The dealership is sending the sample for analysis. It is to bad I didn't get a sample for myself for independent analysis. The fluid is redish in color as seen through the reservoir. It is going to cost between $5,000 to $8,000 to repair. The dealership is in contact with the district operations manager who states no further resolution is possible until analysis is confirmed. I have NEVER had my car serviced outside of Lexus. I have NEVER opened the brake fluid cap. No need to. The level has always been at max or near max. I have pictures from when I first bought the car that shows the fluid is yellowish in tint as seen through the reservoir. At least I know it was correct from the manufacturer. They suspect transmission fluid is in the brake fluid. No if ands or buts about it. Lexus is responsible! I am needing desperate answers from any technical members on here. How long would it take for the brake system to fail if it was filled up with something other than brake fluid? As stated before, it is suspected to be transmission fluid. How long would failure take if it was all transmission fluid compared to just topped off with transmission fluid? I had the oil changed at 5000 then 9000. My current mileage is 13,200. I had the EG023-07 DEC 07 motor mount TSIB performed at 9000 miles. Is it necessary to disconnect any brake component during the motor mount TSIB that would warrant refilling the brake system. Please. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by pestleman0; 08-18-08 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Adding crucial information
Old 08-17-08, 06:29 AM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only thought is something in your brake hydraulics has failed. You are doing the right thing, take it to the repair shop immediately.

I had the same symptoms with a '94 Camry at 200k miles. It was caused by a faulty ABS master cylinder. I have no idea what the heck that is, but it was expensive.
Old 08-17-08, 08:23 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When starting the car, we all know you have to press the brake pedal for the push button start. So, when you push the brake pedal with the motor off, is the pedal stiff? Or does it feel normal? Do you notice any change before the issue and today?
Old 08-30-08, 12:44 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid is yellow. if you have red stuff in the brake reservoir, perhaps someone put something else in there by mistake. Did you ever have your transmission serviced or request to have your coolant topped off? If so, it could have happened then, if a *really* inexperienced person did the work.