ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Lexus mistakes transmission fluid for brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 08:52 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus mistakes transmission fluid for brake fluid

I am wanting to know if any drivers or technicians have seen or experienced partial brake failure in the ES350. Starting experiencing last week and became significantly worse yesterday. When coming to a gradual stop the brake pedal becomes spongy and needs depressing almost to the floor board before coming to a stop. The more I press the less it seems to engage. However, stops on a dime if I have to quickly depress the brake pedal as if someone pulled out in front of me. The fluid is almost to the max line and the cap has never even been taken off. No, I do not have the floor mats that caused this issue a year or so ago. Mileage is 13,200 on my 07. Dropping it off first thing in the morning. Any thoughts?

EDIT UPDATE:
It is found that the brake fluid is not brake fluid. The composition is unknown at this time. The dealership is sending the sample for analysis. It is to bad I didn't get a sample for myself for independent analysis. The fluid is redish in color as seen through the reservoir. It is going to cost between $5,000 to $8,000 to repair. The dealership is in contact with the district operations manager who states no further resolution is possible until analysis is confirmed. I have NEVER had my car serviced outside of Lexus. I have NEVER opened the brake fluid cap. No need to. The level has always been at max or near max. I have pictures from when I first bought the car that shows the fluid is yellowish in tint as seen through the reservoir. At least I know it was correct from the manufacturer. They suspect transmission fluid is in the brake fluid. No if ands or buts about it. Lexus is responsible! I am needing desperate answers from any technical members on here. How long would it take for the brake system to fail if it was filled up with something other than brake fluid? As stated before, it is suspected to be transmission fluid. How long would failure take if it was all transmission fluid compared to just topped off with transmission fluid? I had the oil changed at 5000 then 9000. My current mileage is 13,200. I had the EG023-07 DEC 07 motor mount TSIB performed at 9000 miles. Is it necessary to disconnect any brake component during the motor mount TSIB that would warrant refilling the brake system. Please. Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-19-08, 08:46 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow! I had that happen to me once (32 years ago) but it most certainly wasn't at a Lexus deaer's service department. And of course the damage repair was not that costly. Good luck with this.

Dave Mac
Old 08-22-08, 06:11 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I find this hard to believe that the dealer did this but I guess anything is possible. I would think something like this would happen at one of those "jiffy lub" type places but not at a dealer. So this should be interesting if it is dealer error. I would hope that you post the dealers name if that is the case. As to the affect of AT fluid in the brake system I would think that it may effect the seals and the performance of the brakes. Namely they would get "spongie" but I don't know if the system will fail. I would also think if they purged the system and replaced all of the fluid with new the system may still be OK. I assume that the $8K cost is to replace all of the calipers , the master cylinder and the ABS unit. So if they do find it to be ATF then I would believe that the dealer will need to pay to fix it. Otherwise you would have a good law suit and I don't believe the dealer wants either Lexus or the newspaper to hear this story. Good luck.
Old 08-22-08, 02:36 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I find this hard to believe that the dealer did this but I guess anything is possible. I would think something like this would happen at one of those "jiffy lub" type places but not at a dealer. So this should be interesting if it is dealer error. I would hope that you post the dealers name if that is the case. As to the affect of AT fluid in the brake system I would think that it may effect the seals and the performance of the brakes. Namely they would get "spongie" but I don't know if the system will fail. I would also think if they purged the system and replaced all of the fluid with new the system may still be OK. I assume that the $8K cost is to replace all of the calipers , the master cylinder and the ABS unit. So if they do find it to be ATF then I would believe that the dealer will need to pay to fix it. Otherwise you would have a good law suit and I don't believe the dealer wants either Lexus or the newspaper to hear this story. Good luck.
Well, Lexus stepped up to the plate. The Atlanta district operations manager has agreed to pay for the mistake made by the greater atlanta dealer(s). Not sure which one it occured at but the mistake was made by the dealer. I am so thankful as I was not looking forward to contacting my attorney, ASE, police, news channel, department of consumer affairs, corporate, and BBB. Yes, I would have went there.
Old 08-22-08, 06:30 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Good and I am assuming that you are not getting the work done at the same place that made the mistake? I would suggest that you get a list of all of the items that were changed/fixed just so you have a clear record.