ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Consumer Reports ES350 Rating

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 05:58 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Consumer Reports ES350 Rating

Good News! Seems the ES350 is back up to a "very good" reliability rating. Also, very interesting to see that the Hyundai Genesis is now rated #1 in the large upscale sedan category. ES350 is #2.

Read this info in the 2/09 issue.
Old 12-27-08, 08:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Good News! Seems the ES350 is back up to a "very good" reliability rating. Also, very interesting to see that the Hyundai Genesis is now rated #1 in the large upscale sedan category. ES350 is #2.

Read this info in the 2/09 issue.
Good news indeed.

I haven't received my 2/09 issue yet. I guess the mailman isn't done with it.
Old 12-28-08, 05:17 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

US News Rankings rates the ES as # 2 among upscale mid sedans, for 08 and 09, the ES is tied with the BMW-3 and ahead of the Mercedes C, no surprise there. The Infiniti G-37 is rated #1, which is IMO not even in the same class as the ES, the ES is a much more superior car, but then again that's subjective to driver preference...sporty vs. smooth ride, compare smoothness and the ES #1 hands down...the G-37 is smaller having a low to the ground profile...so how can you compare the two??...it should be targeted against the IS, not the ES. The M-35 is more in the same class with the ES. Keep in mind the ES is actually larger than the GS, not by much, but it's larger.

I would also venture to say that Lexus quality is second to none. Genesis may be 'acceptable'...but I don't believe they are no where near Lexus. In fact I find it strange that Genesis is #1 when their reliability history profile is thin, after all, they just introduced this model this year. Not sure how CR arrived at this rating. As we have seen with any new or totally redesigned model it's best to wait a couple of years before buying and forming 'concrete opinions', so the jury is still out IMO. Lexus just 'slipped' a little but they got back on track really fast, which is a testament to their superior manufacturing build and quality control. Check out the below video, if you haven't done so already, while it's on the IS, I'm sure the same level of quality applies to all Lexus products...very impressive...
Link is here:
http://www.reliableplant.com/article...rticleid=11500
Old 12-28-08, 08:19 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The Infiniti G37 sedan is very close to the ES350 in size and is much larger as far as interior room than the IS or the 3 Series. It is much more powerful than the ES and handles much better, but it rides stiffer and has more noise on the road. The G37 sedan and ES350 are different, but I think they are comperable and selection would depend on whether you value soft ride and quiet more than acceleration and sporty handling. An interesting comparison is the G37 sedan and the GS350. They are about the same size, but the G37 does almost everything better than the GS350 for about $10,000 less money.

By the way, I prefer the smooth quiet ride, so I drive an ES350, but my "other car" is a G35 coupe.

Steve
Old 12-29-08, 05:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Infiniti G37 sedan is very close to the ES350 in size and is much larger as far as interior room than the IS or the 3 Series. It is much more powerful than the ES and handles much better, but it rides stiffer and has more noise on the road. The G37 sedan and ES350 are different, but I think they are comperable and selection would depend on whether you value soft ride and quiet more than acceleration and sporty handling. An interesting comparison is the G37 sedan and the GS350. They are about the same size, but the G37 does almost everything better than the GS350 for about $10,000 less money.

By the way, I prefer the smooth quiet ride, so I drive an ES350, but my "other car" is a G35 coupe.

Steve
$10K cheaper They are priced about the same:

Look here:

http://www.infiniti.com/g_sedan/spec....Specs_Options

and

http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/features/pricing.html

The ES is $620 more in MSRP than the Journey. It must be remembered that the ES and the G37 are totally different cars aimed at different audiences. Rear wheel vs. front wheel drive. Enthusiast driver vs. Luxury minded driver, and etc. Does everything better is not correct. Does everything differently is. My wife drives an ES and I drive an F.

BTW, I came out of a G35 Coupe 6MT, and IMHO, the fit and finish of the Lexus is far superior as is the whole ownership experience. I went from a '93 SC300 coupe to my Infiniti, and immediately missed the Lexus, I am happy to be back

Well, heck I just noticed you're talking about the GS, in the ES section
Ain't that a kick. Why is that And yes the GS 350 costs quite a bit more than the G37, but it competes with the M35, not the G37. Quite a bit more content than the G37.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-29-08 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-29-08, 09:51 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Well, heck I just noticed you're talking about the GS, in the ES section
Ain't that a kick. Why is that And yes the GS 350 costs quite a bit more than the G37, but it competes with the M35, not the G37. Quite a bit more content than the G37.

Lou
Lou,
The GS350 can't compete with the M35, it is too small inside and in trunk space. It is quite a bit smaller than the ES350 in interior room and trunk. In space and sportiness, the GS is much closer to the G37 sedan than to the M.

As far as content, the G37 Journey with the available packages covers the GS350 pretty well and has a much better Nav and sound system. The GS interior is a little nicer than the G37, but the gap has closed greatly with the latest Infinitis.

The new M35 with the 7 speed auto is an interesting case. It is the end of the current M line, but is improved in almost every area. It even rates 26 mpg highway rating now. The next generation M should be a great car. M50 for max performance and M37 for the volume version of Infiniti's large (LS460) size car.

Steve
Old 12-30-08, 07:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I thought the M35 and M45 were in the same category as the GS350 and GS460.

The LS is the flagship of the Lexus sedans - Infiniti hasn't had a true flagship model since the Q.

Most reviews have the G competing with the likes of IS, ES (to a lesser extent), TL, 3 Series etc.
Old 12-30-08, 04:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Lou,
The GS350 can't compete with the M35, it is too small inside and in trunk space. It is quite a bit smaller than the ES350 in interior room and trunk. In space and sportiness, the GS is much closer to the G37 sedan than to the M.

As far as content, the G37 Journey with the available packages covers the GS350 pretty well and has a much better Nav and sound system. The GS interior is a little nicer than the G37, but the gap has closed greatly with the latest Infinitis.

The new M35 with the 7 speed auto is an interesting case. It is the end of the current M line, but is improved in almost every area. It even rates 26 mpg highway rating now. The next generation M should be a great car. M50 for max performance and M37 for the volume version of Infiniti's large (LS460) size car.

Steve
Steve,

I'm not here to argue the merits of Infiniti vs lexus. That's for each potential buyer to sort out. As indicated, I had a '93 Lexus SC300, I then moved to a '03 Infiniti G35 Coupe, and now have my F, and my wife has an ES. From my experience, the Lexus has better fit and finish, is engineered better, is more solidly constructed, and a better handler out of the box. I will never buy another Nissan Product, and in the future will stay with Toyota.

Lou
Old 12-31-08, 10:53 AM
Gumball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a turn around!

I am pleasantly surprised by the the change in the prevailing opnions of the ES 350 on this forum. In the past there was a chorus of ES 350 detractors who would on a daily basis trash and blast the car with endless lists of problems. Most of those owners have seemingly moved on. My 07 ES 350 UL had none of those problems and I found myself in a minoirity defending the car. Just for the record, my ES 350 still performs according to specs and I have been a very satisfied owner. Wonder what some of the detracters think of the CR review?

Last edited by Gumball; 12-31-08 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-08, 07:47 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

I like to add my name to the "seemingly minority" of satisfied owners of ES350.
I too have not so far, experienced any of the problems that some of the members of this forum unfortunately have. At least not yet. Hopefully I will be able to continue enjoying to ride in this most comfortable, serene automobile.
Happy Lexing to all of you.
And a Happy New Year!!!
Raymond
Old 01-01-09, 12:35 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Another satisfied ES350 owner here

Originally Posted by raymondp
I like to add my name to the "seemingly minority" of satisfied owners of ES350.
I too have not so far, experienced any of the problems that some of the members of this forum unfortunately have. At least not yet. Hopefully I will be able to continue enjoying to ride in this most comfortable, serene automobile.
Happy Lexing to all of you.
And a Happy New Year!!!
Raymond
Old 01-01-09, 05:45 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gumball
I am pleasantly surprised by the the change in the prevailing opnions of the ES 350 on this forum. In the past there was a chorus of ES 350 detractors who would on a daily basis trash and blast the car with endless lists of problems. Most of those owners have seemingly moved on. My 07 ES 350 UL had none of those problems and I found myself in a minoirity defending the car. Just for the record, my ES 350 still performs according to specs and I have been a very satisfied owner. Wonder what some of the detracters think of the CR review?
Well, lets not say that all of that trash was false. I will never forget the numerous trips to the dealer, the number of warranty claims filed, and the assortment of loaner cars that I drove while my dealer had to fix the defects in which my car rolled off the factory line with. The number of ES350 buybacks back in 2006 and 2007 also prove the fact that there were widespread issues.

I would say my ES is about 90% there. I'll take it at 90%!
Old 01-18-09, 03:11 PM
rjt65
Driver School Candidate

mine is 100% excellent (as he knocks on wood) ..08 es350 with all the fixin's ...--remember 07 was first revision year...and the ol 'rule thumb wait a year...

IMO Es350 much larger than Infiniti g35-37 i looked extensively at infiniti, lexus, volvo etc... and (having had maxima previous) wanted to make sure i had comfort and fit gr8 in the drivers seat (6-1 and 240--wide shoulders,long torso and arms) could not fit well in Audi's or infiniti g's... gr8 little sports cars though!

Most comfortable seat wise was eS 350 (volvo s80, infiniti M's good 2)

cheers all!