Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 04:03 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering selling my ES350 Input needed

Hello,

I will try to sum up my situation as quickly as possible

My late father purchased the ES350 around the end of 2006, I then sold my car and inherited it in 07 spring. I am turning 25 this year and have always wanted a manual transmission car. I find this car "boring" to drive, please lets not get into issues of "you're spoiled, be happy you have a car, etc." I understand there is a financial loss selling a 2 year old car.

Buy New Car: I have my eyes on a 2008 Accord coupe V6 6-speed. With the hurt Canadian economy I can get a really good deal on a brand new last year model for lets say $7000CDN off msrp. So around $30000 CDN

Sell ES350: In Canadian figures I would hope to get low $30000s, with around 48000km on it.
in US scale, approx $25000 USD and 30 000 miles.

If i were to keep this Lexus I would be too tempted to add some personality to it by means of:

eibach prokit, tinted windows, OEM lip spoiler, and 19" wheels.
likewise with the Accord.

Any thoughts? I am not trying to get pity, but I used to always talk to my dad about cars/advice
Old 02-03-09, 05:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto to manual tranny will only partially improve the boredom factor and a Honda Accord is barely a step up in that department.

Stick with the ES and do a few upgrades. It will be thousands cheaper than a trade to a different car. That's just my opinion.
Old 02-03-09, 05:54 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Druha,

Your honesty is appreciated. The ES 350 is not for everyone and considering your age I can understand why, just be careful and don't get any tickets with whatever you buy. Consider the amount you'll lose, you could roll the balance into a new loan which means higher monthly payments, a negative, but if you were my son, I would close my eyes and tell you to 'soup it up' and save your money for better things, a BIG positive. Weigh the pros and cons, and then decide. With the world economy in the tank, it's smart not to make big purchases if you don't have to, you have a great car, now add 'your passion' to it and save $$$$. Good fortune whichever way you decide.
Old 02-03-09, 05:57 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The Accord interior has a cheap feel compared to the ES. But you are the only one who can make this decision...do what is right for you.

Also, as to the leftover 08, it is 1 year old. Find out what a used 08 is worth today and that is its true value. If you are paying more than its used value today, than it ain't such a great deal.
Old 02-03-09, 06:26 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Auto to manual tranny will only partially improve the boredom factor and a Honda Accord is barely a step up in that department.

Stick with the ES and do a few upgrades. It will be thousands cheaper than a trade to a different car. That's just my opinion.
Hmm good point. It would be going from FWD to FWD. they are both around the same weight and size, interior and exterior. Neither has a LSD, Accord may be and feel faster, but its not the speed i'm worried about its the handling and driving dynamic (FWD kinda sucks)

The Accord interior has a cheap feel compared to the ES. But you are the only one who can make this decision...do what is right for you.
I noticed that too, Honda leather felt cheap...and no keyless, cooled seats, auto tilt steering wheel, sunshade, wood steering wheel, adaptive HIDs, among other things

Druha,

Your honesty is appreciated. The ES 350 is not for everyone and considering your age I can understand why, just be careful and don't get any tickets with whatever you buy. Consider the amount you'll lose, you could roll the balance into a new loan which means higher monthly payments, a negative, but if you were my son, I would close my eyes and tell you to 'soup it up' and save your money for better things, a BIG positive. Weigh the pros and cons, and then decide. With the world economy in the tank, it's smart not to make big purchases if you don't have to, you have a great car, now add 'your passion' to it and save $$$$. Good fortune whichever way you decide.
Thank you for the great advice. The current car is already paid off. And honestly I have been wanting to save towards my first home purchase, whether I live there or rent it out as an investment is yet to be seen. I think all the advice has already been in the back of my head and you guys have just reaffirmed my gut feeling. Thanks a lot.

BTW, I do really appreciate the ES350 as an automobile, its really just the idea of having a "sportier car" and friends I have who are in their early 30s, married/kids/wife can't drive stick. have to trade in their sport cars for sedans etc. I just didn't want to "miss out" Again this goes back to how only a certain percentage of people are able to "afford" sport cars in their 20s and how many would ever be blessed enough to have an ES350 at 24.

LexPaul, I will try to keep the soup tasteful.

ps. one honda gave me a trade in value of 22500 CDN...that is pathetic NO WAY would i trade in for that low.
Old 02-03-09, 07:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Druha - You have a very nice car. I just drove a loaner ES350 for 10 days. Just make a few selective mods when money and time allows.
Old 02-04-09, 06:53 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Druha,
The ES350 is not for a 25 year old IMHO. Heck, at 40 I think I'm too young for it . I think you will enjoy the Accord much more.
Old 02-04-09, 07:04 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I actually was in a position similar to yours when I was your age. When I got out of the Air Force in 1961, I bought a 1954 Mercury Monterey Coupe, automatic and drove the car from Los Angeles to my then home in Massachusetts. I replaced it in 1963 with my first Brand New Car, a Mercury Meteor S33, automatic. In it's day it was the top of the line Mercury intermediate. But, I hated that car, I lusted after a manual. I was 25 in 1964. In 1965, I bought a brand new Tempest Custom V8, 3 on the tree manual. Lower trim level, less bells an whistles, but what a great car. I moved up to a 4 on the floor GTO in 1967, and I was in heaven.

As you can see by my sig, we have an ES350 in the family. You're right the car is boring, but my wife loves it. It is a well built quality automobile. Would I want it for my self - Heck No. Am I happy we have it, yup I sure am.

Now, I am going to split from the other's here. If you want the Accord, get it. Remember you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. The ES will always be an ES, no matter what you do to it. The Accord Coupe is certainly more sporty and it's a damn reliable piece of machinery. FWD, but still more sporty. If you like it, don't mind FWD, and want a manual that's the car for you.

Lou
Old 02-04-09, 07:46 AM
Druha
Pole Position

Druha,
The ES350 is not for a 25 year old IMHO. Heck, at 40 I think I'm too young for it . I think you will enjoy the Accord much more.
lol...I would have given/sold this car to my 32 year old brother, but he has a 330ci and is like no way its an old man's car.

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I actually was in a position similar to yours when I was your age. When I got out of the Air Force in 1961, I bought a 1954 Mercury Monterey Coupe, automatic and drove the car from Los Angeles to my then home in Massachusetts. I replaced it in 1963 with my first Brand New Car, a Mercury Meteor S33, automatic. In it's day it was the top of the line Mercury intermediate. But, I hated that car, I lusted after a manual. I was 25 in 1964. In 1965, I bought a brand new Tempest Custom V8, 3 on the tree manual. Lower trim level, less bells an whistles, but what a great car. I moved up to a 4 on the floor GTO in 1967, and I was in heaven.

As you can see by my sig, we have an ES350 in the family. You're right the car is boring, but my wife loves it. It is a well built quality automobile. Would I want it for my self - Heck No. Am I happy we have it, yup I sure am.

Now, I am going to split from the other's here. If you want the Accord, get it. Remember you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. The ES will always be an ES, no matter what you do to it. The Accord Coupe is certainly more sporty and it's a damn reliable piece of machinery. FWD, but still more sporty. If you like it, don't mind FWD, and want a manual that's the car for you.

Lou
Thanks for the first hand experience Lou, so you know exactly what I'm going through. Sorry i'm not familiar with those cars, but a '67 GTO sounds like pure muscle

Another thing I've been trying to do is convince my mom she should drive this car. She loves her M/B E320 4Matic too much, but its a 2000 with 140k km. (she doesn't like the c pillar blind spot and small rear window on the ES350, also feels floaty and brake feel isnt as solid)

This car has made me lose the passion to drive. Its become a chore not something I enjoy. That should be reason enough I think.
Thanks again for the advice. I know what I should do now.
Convince my mom to take this car, sell/trade her car in, take advantage of the good deals on new cars.

****Edit lol omg.
I keep flip flopping. I need to save to buy a house/condo. forget it i'll just spend a couple thous making this car better

Last edited by Druha; 02-04-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 07:31 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I'd just spend a small bit to make the car more enjoyable for you. Buying a home is a much better use of your money than losing a ton by selling your car.

I totally sympathize with you. This car was not my first choice either. I'm 30 and had to give up my BMW coupe for this. But I had a baby on the way and needed a car with a backseat big enough for the car seat. You gotta grow up some time. The Accord is just not sporty enough. I don't think you'd be satisfied either. Fix up the ES some and you'll get nearly the same amount of "enjoyment" as you will with the Accord.
Old 02-04-09, 09:55 PM
only1gaz
Driver School Candidate

IMO i think ur over thinking da whole thing.... i got my es when it first came out at da end of 06 n i searched n did my research on every car possible n by payin $42,000 for my es ultra luxury package they're wasn't anything dat compared with da options n performance dat da es offered n i was 25 at dat time...... I get compliments on da car all da time n yea i know its an old man car but if u see mine on da streets u'll see dat da es has potential to look as good as any bmw or benz especially better than a accord.... Dats a downgrade 4 sure......... But in defense of sellin da es it all matters on what color combo u have cause honestly if i couldn't get my es in white with da pano roof n black interior i wouldn't have got it.........
Old 02-05-09, 08:12 AM
Druha
Pole Position

I have decided to keep the car, honestly I will probably end up keeping this car for 10 years, I can always buy a cheaper used, weekend autocross/track car in the future. Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-05-09, 09:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Druha - sounds like a good decision. Best of luck with your family and career too!
Old 02-05-09, 11:14 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by Druha
I can always buy a cheaper used, weekend autocross/track car in the future. Thanks for the help guys
I think that's a great idea. A car doesn't have to be expensive to be a total blast. Miata, an older BMW (even a 2002), etc.
Old 02-05-09, 11:51 AM
Druha
Pole Position

mmmmm E36 M3. lol kidding...but i wish.

don't mean to post spam, but sitting at the tint shop waiting

Quick Reply: Considering selling my ES350 Input needed