ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

newfound respect for the ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 07:15 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newfound respect for the ES

i will be honest. the ES was always my least favorite Lexus. i never liked that it was FWD and sounded like it had little power - until 10 minutes ago.

my dad brought his 02 GS300 to the service center for a brake issue and thay gave him a brand new ES350 as his loaner. i have a 97 SC300. bone stock, not very fast but its my first car so i love it. but i decided to drive the ES down the street for a little test drive. i live in a very short roaded development. i hit 100, easily. that car flys. now i like the ES a lot and i wouldnt mind if my dad got that for his next car.

RESPECT2ES
Old 02-21-09, 07:42 PM
terrypm
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, they are a pretty tight car.
Old 02-23-09, 07:14 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol u hit 100 in your short roaded development community?
wouldn't want to live near you :P
Old 02-23-09, 07:56 PM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

im glad you like the underdog class haha
Old 02-23-09, 10:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I had a loaner ES for 10 days while my IS350 was in the shop, I was impressed with the comfort, roominess and sleek style.
Old 02-24-09, 07:13 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

It does what it was made to do very, very well. Step on it and it just surges forward quietly and makes it look so easy. Just don't hesitate on the throttle...the tranny gets confused and sometimes jerks between gears.

Mine just passed its first birthday.
Old 02-24-09, 09:43 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by superchan7
It does what it was made to do very, very well. Step on it and it just surges forward quietly and makes it look so easy. Just don't hesitate on the throttle...the tranny gets confused and sometimes jerks between gears.
still haven't completely figured it out in auto mode, and self shift, just give it time to shift, its not DSG or that Porschle dopplekerplunk
Old 02-25-09, 06:39 AM
quatman67
Driver School Candidate

Sometimes I think I should have picked a sportier car when I read auto journalists say the ES350 is boring, but then every time I put my right foot down I'm reminded how fast this car is. Some reviews have the 0 to 60 time as 6.3 seconds although most reviews show a time of 6.7 seconds. Still it's fast enough for me. If I tried to go 100 mph in my neighborhood, the residents would form a posse and look for a tall tree.
Old 02-25-09, 07:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO, the RX is far more boring than the EX. I've driven both.
Old 02-25-09, 12:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I've had my car for nearly three years and either the trans has adapted to me, or I've adapted to it, but shifts, especially under hard acceleration have smoothed out.

I agree that it is a great highway/expressway cruiser, and at speeds up to 70-75 can get 30+ mpg.
Old 02-25-09, 01:13 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quatman67
Sometimes I think I should have picked a sportier car when I read auto journalists say the ES350 is boring, but then every time I put my right foot down I'm reminded how fast this car is. Some reviews have the 0 to 60 time as 6.3 seconds although most reviews show a time of 6.7 seconds. Still it's fast enough for me. If I tried to go 100 mph in my neighborhood, the residents would form a posse and look for a tall tree.
Agreed for a luxury car, that's pretty quick.

Do they still do the posse and tall tree thing in Kentucky?
Old 02-25-09, 10:45 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've had my car for nearly three years and either the trans has adapted to me, or I've adapted to it, but shifts, especially under hard acceleration have smoothed out.

I agree that it is a great highway/expressway cruiser,
I've been driving this car for nearly 2 years. and the transmission isn't so bad, it just definitely isn't sporty. and my opinion is more biased because it is choppy for the first 5 minutes after a cold start up here in Canadian winter. Would like to see the throttle response be a bit quicker, but don't get me wrong i love my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatman67

Yes, its is quick. although camry v6 (duh), accord v6, altima? and i'm sure other family sedans aren't far behind nowadays...crazy! remember when the wrx came out and that was considered fast?also ...the IS250 is kinda slow....no offense IS owners. yes u can turbo it etc....and straight line speed isn't everything. and RWD > FWD... my rant is done
Old 02-26-09, 05:19 AM
quatman67
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Do they still do the posse and tall tree thing in Kentucky?
I haven't heard of a tall tree hangin in Kentucky for a while, but I've been watching several westerns lately on DirecTV, so I'm looking over my shoulder a bit. lol
Old 03-01-09, 07:33 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The ES350 is nice, but it has the most boring interior of the Lexus sedans. Too much plastic on dash and not enough luxury. I thought the previous ES300/330 interior was much better laid out and luxurious with the wood trimming (not that I'm a tree killer). As for performance, the lag has been reduced greatly from the ES330, but it's still evident and FWD just doesn't cut it for anything performance.

Someone noted that the RX is boring, yes, that's probably the most boring of the Lexus SUVs, but maybe Lexus owners just like boring...
Old 03-05-09, 06:24 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Here's another new fan of the ES350. I took in my 07 GS350 for a recall, ethanol fuel corroding the fuel rail, and they let me use a 08 ES350 for 24 hrs. Driving under the same conditions and roads, I could not believe the difference between the two. The GS ride and noise level seem crude by comparison. The handling of the GS is not, IMHO the best. Being a rear-wheel drive, it feels sportier than the ES, but I'd trade that for the comfort and silence of the ES any day. If they keep improving the ES, that might be our next car.

Quick Reply: newfound respect for the ES