ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rear Ended - Doh! (56k warning!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 07:11 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rear Ended - Doh! (56k warning!)

Last week my wife was driving my car. She was stopped at an intersection when some idiot in a pickup rear ended her. Luckily my wife is OK. The damage isn't too bad but it's going to cost the other driver's insurance $1900 to fix.

Old 03-11-09, 08:21 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. Glad your wife is ok.

The ES feels like a tank on the inside and it looks like the body held up well.
Old 03-11-09, 09:03 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to see that no one was hurt. That is the important thing.
Old 03-11-09, 09:09 AM
Druha
Pole Position

Another ontarian?! where have you been hiding? Sorry to hear about the accident..glad your wife is ok.
Old 03-11-09, 09:20 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Druha
Another ontarian?! where have you been hiding? Sorry to hear about the accident..glad your wife is ok.
Yep. Another Ontarian. I haven't been hiding I just don't post that much. Although I did respond to your thread about possibly selling your ES
Old 03-11-09, 09:50 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's going to cost a whole lot more than $1900 to fix. You need a new bumper cover/paint/clear coat, trunk lid/paint/clear coat and rear drivers side panel. You also have to factor in the instant deprecation that the car has now suffered. You will have a repaired wreck that will sell for $1000's less then a non damaged car.
Old 03-11-09, 10:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear there were no injuries. Due to sheet metal damage the cost will be well over $2000.
Old 03-11-09, 10:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You should check into getting an additional settlement for diminished value when you know how much the repairs will cost. As the other poster mentioned, you'll take a hit when you sell or trade the car if there have been repairs made from an accident.

Glad to hear that everyone is OK.
Old 03-11-09, 02:59 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Good to hear your wife wasn't injured!
Old 03-12-09, 01:05 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

The $1900 I quoted is from an actual estimate. The body panel doesn't need replacing. The photo is exaggerating how much its out. The trunk lid is also fine. Just a little scratched. If the repair doesn't meet my satisfaction then I'll ask for more.

About the depreciation. Yeah I know but Ontario auto insurance doesn't allow for this. If someone knows better please let me know.

Anyways, thanks for the sympathy peeps!
Old 03-12-09, 02:37 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkayca
The $1900 I quoted is from an actual estimate. The body panel doesn't need replacing. The photo is exaggerating how much its out. The trunk lid is also fine. Just a little scratched. If the repair doesn't meet my satisfaction then I'll ask for more.

About the depreciation. Yeah I know but Ontario auto insurance doesn't allow for this. If someone knows better please let me know.

Anyways, thanks for the sympathy peeps!
Then you need more quotes. Just filling panels with bondo and painting them is NOT a repair you want to make on an almost new car.

You may have to take the driver to small claims court and sue him/her for the depreciation value hit. You shouldn't have to eat that amount when the other driver was at fault. I'm shocked that your insurance company won't help you with this. That is crazy. I'd drop them like a rock if they said to me.
Old 03-12-09, 03:15 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's quite a bit of work done to it. That sucks. Hopefully it gets fixed nicely.
Old 03-12-09, 04:50 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jkayca,

I'm happy to learn that your wife is ok. It goes w/o saying that she is all that matters. I must add my opinion to this thread, initially I had not planned to. That price of $1900.00 seems very low. My daughter had a very small dent in her front bumper repaired on her 03 Honda Civic and that was $600.00. IMO I would without doubt take it to a Lexus body shop and let them assess the damage/repairs. I would not trust anyone except the dealer in this case, they have Lexus original hardware. If you have park assist/Nav, then your sensors and maybe camera would need replacement. Don't settle for anything less than the best. May I ask who gave you the quote of $1900.00? Thanks
Old 03-13-09, 08:07 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Guys,

Here's the deal. The body panel has no damage. It's the tail light and bumber cover that are protruding. There's no need for bondal etc. And I'm getting the work done at the dealer.

As to the insurance. Ontario has a no-fault policy. It doesn't mean no fault is assigned. It means that your right to sue is limited. It doesn't matter what company I choose they all have to follow the same laws. Miniz, this is Canada. We don't run and get a lawyer every time something goes wrong. It doesn't sound fair but it has kept insurance rates from spiraling out of control. Yeah, maybe I could get few k out of the guy if I was able to sue but this would be eaten up by increased premiums and legal fees.
Old 03-13-09, 02:41 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkayca
Guys,

Here's the deal. The body panel has no damage. It's the tail light and bumber cover that are protruding. There's no need for bondal etc. And I'm getting the work done at the dealer.

As to the insurance. Ontario has a no-fault policy. It doesn't mean no fault is assigned. It means that your right to sue is limited. It doesn't matter what company I choose they all have to follow the same laws. Miniz, this is Canada. We don't run and get a lawyer every time something goes wrong. It doesn't sound fair but it has kept insurance rates from spiraling out of control. Yeah, maybe I could get few k out of the guy if I was able to sue but this would be eaten up by increased premiums and legal fees.
4th picture down from the top. It looks like the panel is crush inward by the light.

Oh, and you don't need a lawyer for small claims court and there are very minimal court fees.

I live in a no fault state and I would be free to try to recover depreciated value. I think you need to read into the law a little bit better, otherwise you are going to eat $5000 in excess deprecation when you sell/trade the car.

I just looked up small claims in Canada and it works just like our system, except you have an ever higher limit ($15k). You would be crazy to walk away and eat the money.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended - Doh! (56k warning!)