ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Missing Lugnut

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 03:24 PM
bluejays
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Lugnut

When I was waxing the car this morning I realized one of the lugnuts is missing from the rear wheel (passenger side), I find it very strange because it's the one with the wheel lock! Is it possible for the lugnut with wheel lock to loosen by itself? Can't imagine we have been driving the car with one lugnut missing, I immediately checked the other lugnut for tightness and fortunately they are okay.

Checked my maintenance record and the dealer did "reset all the tires" when the car was brought in service last month. May be they somehow forgot to put the lugnut back if they have to remove the wheel from the car
Old 03-15-09, 03:41 PM
terrypm
Driver School Candidate

Lugnuts of any type do not loosen and fall off in a months time IF installed correctly. I have never heard of resetting tires maybe rotating tires?
I'd venture to guess your dealer forgot to put the lock back on the rim. I'd give them a call in the morning.
Old 04-01-09, 12:58 AM
Lexanator
Driver School Candidate

Very sorry to hear about your problem...hope you still have replacement codes for your set.

It happened (almost) to me. Discount Tire, rotated my Si...three days later I discover the rear wheel lock "sticking out" and nearly off. Tire guys are reluctant/trained not to torque a wheel lock lug down to spec because of possible problems breaking them, or so I was told. I always request shops to please not use an impact wrench on my cars...hand only. Happily they do this, no problem. I ALWAYS recheck the lugs when I get home to make sure things were done right and re-torque all the lugs. Wheel locks to 65 ft#'s and regular lugs factory spec, 80 ft#'s. My guess is someone forgot to even hand tightened the wheel lock (if at all) even hand tight. I also check cold tire pressure every tankfull.,
Old 04-02-09, 05:22 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I just went to my local auto parts place to buy a set of 4 replacement lug nuts . I removed the lock type nuts and put them and the key into a bag in the trunk. As for any of these coming loose it does not happen if they are tightened correctly. As to running on just 4 instead of 5 this is not a problem. In fact if spaced correctly you can run on only 3.
Old 04-03-09, 05:30 PM
bluejays
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexanator
Very sorry to hear about your problem...hope you still have replacement codes for your set.

It happened (almost) to me. Discount Tire, rotated my Si...three days later I discover the rear wheel lock "sticking out" and nearly off. Tire guys are reluctant/trained not to torque a wheel lock lug down to spec because of possible problems breaking them, or so I was told. I always request shops to please not use an impact wrench on my cars...hand only. Happily they do this, no problem. I ALWAYS recheck the lugs when I get home to make sure things were done right and re-torque all the lugs. Wheel locks to 65 ft#'s and regular lugs factory spec, 80 ft#'s. My guess is someone forgot to even hand tightened the wheel lock (if at all) even hand tight. I also check cold tire pressure every tankfull.,

Thanks for the information. The dealer replaced it for free, which is nice!
Old 04-07-09, 10:53 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

lol, what a coincidence.. one of guys know had the exact same situation.. they forgot to put a wheel lock on rear passenger side on his rx330.. i happened to point that out...
Old 04-14-09, 01:23 PM
Lexanator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexanator

My own post above .....I see in my MCGARD instructions for my new wheel locks that it says to torque the locking lug just like the regular...so I'm correcting my own post. So much for the tire guy's advice and I'm back to uniform torque all lugs.