ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

3M Clear Front End Film...Anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 03:45 AM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3M Clear Front End Film...Anyone used it?

I am thinking about purchasing 3M Clear film for the front end of my ES350 and was wondering how well owners have liked it. I worry about if I ever removed it would it show two colors, etc. I would like to know your opinions. Thanks.
Old 03-19-09, 06:20 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never removed it, but have had it on mine since August of 2006. Worth every penny, as my hood is chip free.
Old 03-19-09, 06:47 AM
quatman67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about getting one when my ES350 was new but I decided against it, and I'm particular and hate stone chips as much as anyone. After slightly over two years and 17K miles, I only have one noticable chip and it is close to the windshield where the 3M bra wouldn't have covered anyway. I'd rather look at the polished factory paint instead of that film, but that's just me.
Old 03-19-09, 06:56 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting the front end of my car repainted and adding clear bra as we speak. There is no reason why you would have to remove it. As long as you wax the rest of your paint there shouldn't be any discoloration. The clear bra has UV protection and all that good stuff. Do it! You won't regret it especially if you do a lot of highway and long distance driving.
Old 03-19-09, 07:23 AM
pedalstomp
Driver School Candidate

I have it on for almost 1 year now on my 08' ES. I was hesistant in having it installed not because of the fear of two tone paint but because of the unsightly look of the film edge. I have complete confidence that the 3M film will not harm the paint. I'm an engineer who has experience with with adhesive films. Believe me, these films will not cause uneven paint fade. I think there is an unsubstantiated fear that has spread that the film will harm paint. Perhaps the earlier generation film did cause some paint to fade unevenly but the newer stuff will not.

A while back, my wife scuff the side of the front bumper while backing out of our garage. Thanks to the film, the paint was unharmed. Luckily, the scuff buffed out of the film. Aside from the "bumper scuff" episode, I have zero chips on the front of my car and am very happy with the film. I'm so happy with it that I even installed the film onto my 04' Highlander.

With regards to my comments about "unsightly" look of the film edge, I've over that. Yes, with a darker color car and with dust, the edge of the film will stand out more. But knowing the film is there to protect the car, I can live with the edge visible. Just keep the car clean and the edge will not be so visible.
Old 03-19-09, 10:58 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the clear film installed on four Lexus' that I've owned and a Volvo. I've never had a problem with any of the installs and it's well worth it. Especially if you're in an area where there's salt and sand used on the roads in the winter that gets thrown up at you on the highway.

I've also had the installer cut some small pieces of the material and put them inside the door pulls on the front doors. If you have someone with long fingernails or someone that tends to hold their keys in the same hand they use to open the door with, it can save you from getting scratches in that area...
Old 03-19-09, 11:19 AM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

I have my full front end on my car with 3M...it does the job but if you are gonna clear bra your car, go with Ventureshield. I regret going with 3M...there is significant orange peeling. Ventureshield has no orange peel effect, and you can get it with a clear coat on it now. I would like to redo my front end with Ventureshield soon.
Old 03-23-09, 07:12 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Venture Shield

I had Venture Shield installed on my '07 ES. It has really done the job. I have no front end chips at all, and no orange peel effect. I have a dark car so you can see the film edge when the car is dirty or dusty. But, otherwise, I don't even notice it anymore. It is a great product.
Old 03-23-09, 05:36 PM
Osteoman
Rookie

I've had the Venture shield on mine since 1/09 because I have had 3-4 chips on the front end since I bought it in 9/08. Since the shieled no new chips at all. Only regret was not having placed it on immediately and I will be doing so with my future cars.
Old 04-14-09, 11:51 PM
Lexanator
Driver School Candidate

I've had four vehicles since 2004 with film...3M and now VentureShield. VentureShield works well on curved areas but more prone to installment bleamishing. A good installer is important. I covered the front, side mirrors, inside pulls and added a strip along the top of the rear bumper to protect from trunk loading/unloading "accidents". I ONLY hand wash my cars (and the film of course) with a sheepskin mit, MF, etc. etc... I "polish" the film with Vanilla Moose Wax (not really a wax but a non-abraisive "chemical polish" with a bit of wax) and top with any good carnba wax. User friendly S100 carnuaba (Harley dealerships usually carry this) is easy on and off... I've used many others. On a white car it's easy to see "yellow bug stains" on the film. Not all bugs do this but some are really nasty and hard to remove even with bug cleaners. I found that bartender's helper worked best for clearing up deep stubborn "bug yellow" stains. Never a problem when I keep it waxed.

For everyone who has the VentureShield here's something my installer told me and I'll try this out on my Si to see if it's true...a careful light heating with a heat gun will often "correct" very fine "hazing" or scuff marks on the film. Use common sense and don't over heat was his warning.
Old 04-15-09, 09:57 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Be careful, the heat gun trick is for Ventureshield...it doesn't work for 3M. But an even easier trick is wiping some alcohol on the film to get rid of the swirl marks.
Old 04-16-09, 01:33 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I've even used acetone on it and compounded it with a Porter Cable machine buffer for a bad scuff I got on it. No adverse effect.
Old 04-16-09, 07:40 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I'm not very fond of adding external shields and such to the front end of of my Lexus. I have a obsidian/black. So far, I have a very tiny chip on the hood, that even I can't find sometimes. I will probably take the route of having any visible chips/dings touched up by the dealer. However, this is just my preference. I'm with those who want to keep their cars looking car show room pristine. This car really stands out when it is taken care of. Cheers
Old 04-16-09, 07:55 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately, in certain areas of the country where they use salt and sand on the roads because of ice and snow, the best way to keep the vehicle in showroom condition is to apply the shield... Every time it snows here the salt and sand is everywhere. For days after a snowstorm, when your traveling at 70mph on the highway, the rear wheels of the cars and trucks in front of you, throw it up at your vehicle. 18 wheelers are the worst at throwing it up. Over time, if you drive frequently on the highway, you end up with a sandblasted front windshield. The same thing happens to the front end of the car without the shield on...

Jim
Old 04-25-09, 06:32 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

It looks like you can do 18" up the hood or 24". What does everyone recommend?