ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is there an oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 04:33 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Is there an oil filter

I just did my 10k oil change and although the filter is easy to get at I was wondering if there is an oil filter adapter that lets you use a spin on filter. This is like going back 30 years with using cartridge type filters. Although I change my oil and filter every 5K miles a cartridge filter is a bit more of a PIA.
Old 03-23-09, 04:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,336 Posts

My dealer sold me an Oil Filter Wrench, not a Lexus part. It's called RiteFit Oil Filter Wrench. PN A265. See the PDF attachment below:

http://www.ctatools.com/catalogs/200...5OilFilter.PDF

Dealer charged me $4.18 for it. Seems like a bargain. Listed as 64mm, 14 flutes.

Lou
Old 03-23-09, 06:27 PM
jagtoes
Racer

I don't need any tools I was asking if there was an adapter. The last car I had disposable filter elements was 30 years ago in my XKE. It didn't make sense that they went back to this type of arrangement.
Old 03-25-09, 12:53 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear you. Twist off, twist on, done. I'm dreading having to "upgrade" to a future Lexus that will have the filter element instead of a "conventional" filter you twist off. I don't believe there is a "converter" kit for this as it'd be tough to get a good seal on there.
Old 03-28-09, 08:23 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I don't need any tools I was asking if there was an adapter. The last car I had disposable filter elements was 30 years ago in my XKE. It didn't make sense that they went back to this type of arrangement.
The reason they went back to the drop in cartridge is that it's cheaper to make and it's better for the environment.

It does take more effort to change these, but it's not a huge inconvenience.

I don't know of any retrofit available that would convert to the canister type filter.
Old 04-24-09, 04:02 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the canister. You take out the bottom center and push in that plastic piece (that comes with the filter) to release the oil to run into you catch pan and not run down your arm when you are taking off the filter. The first time I couldn't get the bottom center out the right way so I made sure that the canister was tighter than the center. I haven't looked at my SC yet, but I'm hopin' that it has the same set-up. No more warm oil running down your are. Makes me a happy camper.
Old 04-25-09, 05:35 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by dreyfus
The reason they went back to the drop in cartridge is that it's cheaper to make and it's better for the environment.

It does take more effort to change these, but it's not a huge inconvenience.

I don't know of any retrofit available that would convert to the canister type filter.
I just thought it was interesting that they have gone back in time with this design. The little plastic drain nipple is cute but it is still a PITA to remove the element and clean out the can. I remember it from the 60's and thought the spin on filters were the best when mounted vertically. No mess and no clean up. As for cost I guess that can be debated. You can get the OEM or aftermarket filters anywhere from $6 up to $18 while you can get most spin on filters for $7-$10. As for environment I don't believe it is a problem either way. Just my 2 cents here.
Old 05-01-09, 08:57 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I just thought it was interesting that they have gone back in time with this design. The little plastic drain nipple is cute but it is still a PITA to remove the element and clean out the can. I remember it from the 60's and thought the spin on filters were the best when mounted vertically. No mess and no clean up. As for cost I guess that can be debated. You can get the OEM or aftermarket filters anywhere from $6 up to $18 while you can get most spin on filters for $7-$10. As for environment I don't believe it is a problem either way. Just my 2 cents here.
It would be nice if Lexus had a spin on oil filter design like the one found on the present gen Tacoma V6. On that engine the oil filter in mounted on top, and there is place for the excess oil to drain when the filter is removed. I guess Lexus feels this would be too easy for the "do-it-youselfer" and take away buisness from the dealerships.