ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2009 ES Questions - Nav Hack Related

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 07:47 PM
SDeGonge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 ES Questions - Nav Hack Related

> Just picked up my 2009 ES this week...
2009 ES350
NAV
Non ML
Non XM/Sirius

> Already ordered the VAIS SL2Vi and got the discount.

> I'm planning on doing the speed sensor switch mod that I've read about on the posts and I've got some questions about that and some other random things...

1. If I do the speed sensor mod is there any need to also do the hybrid DVD mod?

2. I saw the excellent writeup on doing the speed sensor mod. Will this solve all my problems (complete NAV control, phone, and other settings while in motion)?

3. Does anybody out there have the pinouts for my NAV/Stereo system?

4. How do I eject the NAV DVD?

5. I know how to access the maintenance screens. Is it true that the NAV override can no longer be done here (I'm pretty sure the answer is yes - just want to make sure).

6. Once you access the maintenance screens how to you get back to normal operation? Looks like I have to turn off the car to do it.

7. I would like to also add a switch to turn on the backup camera (good for verifying that I'm all the way in the garage before closing the door). Is there a wire for "reverse" that I can mod?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-09, 09:07 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SDeGonge
1. If I do the speed sensor mod is there any need to also do the hybrid DVD mod?

2. I saw the excellent writeup on doing the speed sensor mod. Will this solve all my problems (complete NAV control, phone, and other settings while in motion)?

4. How do I eject the NAV DVD?
I can only speak for the speed sensor mod made on my 2007 ES350. Your 2009 may differ.

First, you don't have to do any hybrid disk changes if you're using the speed sensor mod.

Second, all phone and VAIS functions are permanently enabled with the speed sensor turned off. Turning the speed sensor back on returns these screens to the (stupid) standard locked-out-in-motion settings.

The destination, POI, and other NAV functions are temporarilly disabled. The car eventually figures out it's in motion even with the speed sensor disabled (probably via the GPS signal) and it will again lock out your NAV destination functions after 30 to 90 seconds, depending upon your speed.

For example, if you're in the midst of entering an address when this happens, just switch the speed sensor back on, wait 5 seconds, then switch it back to disabled mode. Your destination or address screen will pick up right where you left off so you can continue entering the address. It still beats having to pull over and stop to work the NAV.

While the speed sensor is disabled the map movement as you drive will be jerky and not the smooth scrolling you'd see under normal conditions. I don't believe the NAV guidance will work either, but then I never use the speed sensor cutoff when driving under the NAV's directions.

Remember, this is a hack to get around an overly-restrictive design. It's not a professional redesign.

The manual has instructions how to eject the map DVD. You have to push up and remove the horizonal plate that says LEXUS just below the display screen. On my 2007, you press the hard MENU button and then the screen Map DVD button on the upper right. The next screen has the DVD eject button.

If I want to use the rear camera to check my garage position I just briefly put the car in reverse. I'd recommend that to installing another switch.

Here's how to get to the center console wiring to do your work (and install the VAIS unit). https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...val-steps.html

Good luck.
Old 04-22-09, 10:45 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the install of the VAIS SL2Vi go? How did you access the back of the radio?
Old 04-22-09, 05:03 PM
SDeGonge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by StlGasMan
How did the install of the VAIS SL2Vi go? How did you access the back of the radio?
Not too bad. I followed the instructions found on this forum which were very helpful. After taking everything apart I was able to connect the VAIS per their instructions. I mounted the box all the way over on the right passenger side on top or the black cover under the dash. The iPod cable was routed up to the glove box. I fed it trough the back of the glove box where the air filter cover is (had to notch the cover to fit the cable).

I also added a bypass switch for the speed sensor and parking brake signal. This was the hard part. I decided to cut the wires in the harness about a foot from the connectors. After staring at it for a half hour I finally got the ***** to snip. Hard thing to do on a car that's only two weeks old.

Got everything reassembled and the VAIS works great. The speed sensor is another story...

Turns out that after driving for about a minute the nav system locks you out even with the speed sensor bypassed. I thought this may happen from what I've read but I figured I'd try it anyway. VAIS still works but some of the functions are locked out - due to the nav system.

I did find out that you can still play ipod videos with the parking brake signal and speed sensor bypassed. Apparently the "DVD" functionality does not lock out while in motion so the switch wasn't a total waste.

My next project is to build a pulse generator to simulate the car moving about 5mph. I'm hoping this will fool the system into thinking it's in motion but so it doesn't disable functionality.

I need to figure out the voltage level for this signal 1st. If anybody knows the answer please post!!!!

I also took pictures of everything. If there's interest, I'll post them.
Old 04-23-09, 07:05 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SDeGonge
..I also took pictures of everything. If there's interest, I'll post them.
Thanks .. will appreciate it if you post the pictures