ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Adding a Navigation Package!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 01:16 PM
msallen85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a Navigation Package!!!

Ok, so I already bought a 2009 ES 350 and I love my car. Only thing, I bought it without the navigation package and now I want it. Does anyone know if there is anyway possible that this can be done now?
Old 04-07-09, 04:55 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Nope it cant be done. Get a garmin instead.
Old 04-07-09, 05:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Even if it could be done it would be cost prohibitive. Imagine paying retail thru the dealer for all of the necessary components. I agree, get a real nice portable at a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-07-09, 07:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,366 Posts

This thread in the IS section might interest you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-swap.html

For the record though, I have nav in my F. I never use it. I use the navigation option I have with my cell phone, Verizon. Blue Tooth doesn't work with the navigation feature however. I have use a mini plug to my MP3 player input in my console, and it plays through my speakers. I prefer to use this system, since I can also use it in my truck, while walking in a strange town etc. My wife does not have nav, she also uses her phone, however she lusts after my rear view camera

Lou
Old 04-07-09, 10:08 PM
love_lexus
Driver

My experience is having a manufactory GPS is always wasteful, BUT, not having it is ALWAYS regretful.
I just sold my GS300 for this reason.
Old 04-07-09, 10:27 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all the other posts. Can't be done. Only choice is aftermarket..How long have you had the car?. Maybe the dealer will do a trade up?...but on the other hand it could still be more in the long run. I'm curious, why did you skip this option? I have Nav in my 09 and I find that it very handy, used it last weekend. I activated the voice mode and it basically drove me to my destination....cool. Also, having Nav adds more beauty to the center console...IMO
Old 04-08-09, 08:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I agree with all the other posts. Can't be done.
Did you look at the link I provided above It can be done

The first post in that thread reads:

Originally Posted by PNice972
WILL BE UPDATED MORE AS TIME PROGRESSES AND I GATHER MORE INFORMATION

LAST UPDATE: March 26, 2008

Okay, I just wanted to make this thread because of the fact that every week or so it seems, I am seeing someone on the forums asking about this swap. I am only providing this information as a courtesy for our members because this is indeed a popular subject, so enough with that,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can it be done? YES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it simply a swap out of the consoles from the non-nav to nav? NO

Can I just buy all the parts and do it myself? YES [This will be elaborated]

-The most common question that is asked on this forum is, "is it simple?" the answer to that can be answered as both yes and no.

[/i]

Would I do it, not on your life. But again, it can be done

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-08-09 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 09:54 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Did you look at the link I provided above It can be done

Would I do it, not on your life. But again, it can be done

Lou
Maybe LexPaul meant to say: it can't be done by any sane person who wants to ensure that his car's warranty will continue to be honored by Lexus....

Last edited by Lexucan; 04-08-09 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 03:01 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just trade the car or get an aftermarket unit. It isn't worth the upgrade cost. You are talking about $1000's in parts alone.
Old 04-08-09, 11:13 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...after reading the above link describing where it can be done....lowrideraz...I will say this: With enough time and money perhaps anything can be done...but most of us have neither...there are 'hacks' out here that could convince some who have never picked up a wrench to build their own car...First of all I would want to see a 'finished' product (before and after) of a task this detailed before I even begin to think about it. This is NOT a task for a novice. Common sense should prevail here...Risks vs. Gains??...We have not even covered the part about REMOVING THE DASH...that alone should cause us to pause...especially after reading all the posts of folks having noise problems in and around the dash...Here's another question: What if something goes wrong??...wires mixed up...or perhaps...something within the console doesn't work anymore... for example radio can't scan or something?.... Could you put 'humpty dumpty' back together again??....Those who peddle these 'solutions' to every problem' always make it seem that ANYONE can do it...Who except a Lexus dealership would feel comfortable opening up their dash on this car??....Do I have any takers??...There may be a few who have the skills...but not the many....Look this is not some old Chevy or something you can dck around with in the garage...It's a 40K car...well built by Lexus engineers...IMO the best (and only) option is to go after market.
Old 04-10-09, 10:13 AM
msallen85
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all for the help and input, but as of now I will just stick with the Garmin!!! Lesson learned, when and if I ever trade I will ensure I have the navigation system! Thanks again!
Old 04-10-09, 11:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I've found that a portable nav is a lot more paletable when it's not suction-cupped to the windshield or laying on a beanbag on top of the dash.

There are a variety of vent mounts and brackets you can attach a portable GPS to -- some of the ones made for the Garmin Nuvi series are the smallest and least offensive.

I've got my "POS" (that's a technical term!) Magellan Roadmate mounted on a Pro.Fit bracket next to the radio in my LS400 with its power cord hidden and attached to the car's accessory circuit so that it turns on and off automatically.

BTW, dcfish over on http://us.lexusownersclub.com/ has sold lots of OEM nav systems that people have installed into their Lexus cars that didn't come with nav. It's expensive but not all that difficult. It's actually pretty easy to remove the HVAC controls and radio head unit from most Toyota/Lexus vehicles ... barely a five minute operation.
Old 04-20-09, 06:37 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

We use our Garmin 5000 instead of the Lexus NAV package that we bought because it is so much easier to use and it does a better job.

If we were doing it again we would NOT get the $2,000 plus NAV system. Instead we would get an aftermarket backup camera with built-in sonar sensors installed and use our NUVI 5000 for NAV. This would be especially so for a new Lexus because Lexus disables the NAV system commands when driving making it so you have to stop in order to reprogram anything that was not entered before you started moving.
Old 04-21-09, 05:51 AM
clarky86
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last few cars had built in navigation and although I think the console looks much better with it, a few thinks bothered me about it so I did not order it on my latest es350. It costs about $3-4k more, it lights up the inside of the car at night, you don't use it "most" of the time, dvd upgrades cost 200+, can't program while driving, if you don't like the logic that it uses for routing you are stuck with it (caused me to keep the portable in my last Acura TL right next to the built in).

That said I do need navi and love my portable running igo8 so I built a bracket that attached to the left heater vent hardwired it and ran the wire so you don't see it through the vent and inside the dash.
Old 04-21-09, 07:20 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

With all this being said, and a reference to my post above. Does any one know of a good aftermarket solution to add a rear view camera (only) to a non-nav ES350

Lou

Quick Reply: Adding a Navigation Package!!!