ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM Tuner Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 04:18 PM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Tuner Install

I ordered an XM Tuner for our 09 ES350. Should have it Monday the 13th. Downloaded the instructions. Everything seems straight forward except the last task in the instructions. It states: After the battery cable is reconnected, the functional components of the car need to be re-initialized. Initialize them with reference to RM0110U in the vehicle repair manual.

Anyone know what this is?

Also, I've been told that the antenna can be mounted inside the car. As in under the window on the rear shelf.

Anyone hear of this?

Thanks for your help,

Bob

09 ES350
Old 04-09-09, 09:53 PM
wilhannes
Driver School Candidate

I just did this install on my 09 ES350 last week. I followed the instructions exactly and it was a piece of cake. the hardest part was removing the trunk side & back. It was definitely "plug & play." I ran the antenna around the side of the back seat and pushed it under the edge of the rear deck. It ended up about halfway between the side and the rear stop light, back against the glass. Reception is perfect. As for your question about resetting everything, I didn't disconnect the battery. There are no bare wires or hot leads involved. So good luck and enjoy.
Old 04-10-09, 04:21 AM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. I'll be installing mine in about a week.
Old 04-11-09, 08:32 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install the Lexus kit or an aftermarket like the VAIS? How did you remove the radio?
Old 04-12-09, 11:00 AM
wilhannes
Driver School Candidate

I got the lexus xm receiver. I found the best price online from a dealer in Utah. The whole thing, receiver, cables, and antenna, with shipping was arounr $269. It is the only way to go because it works through the regular screen. It shows 3 screens with 6 presets on each. I love it, and the installation was not hard at all. You do not have to touch the radio head at all. You just turn it on and there it is. Everything is done in the trunk. Good luck Wil
Old 04-15-09, 08:01 PM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Just installed mine this evening. Bought the factory unit off Ebay from Park Place Lexus in Texas. I think it was $283 shipped. Install was very easy. I mounted the antenna inside on the rear deck. Reception is great. Very happy with the unit.
Old 04-15-09, 09:56 PM
wilhannes
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear all went well. I think that is the only way to go and it sure beats paying the dealer 500 to 1000$. it is also nice that it gives you 18 presets for the XM. I don't know what that other setup is where you have to get to the back of the radio, but this factory setup is definitely plug and play. Good luck with your new ES. -- Wil H.- 2009 ES350 Platinum Pearl, Nav, and all the other goodies. I Love It!
Old 04-21-09, 12:46 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

If you install the antenna on the rear deck, where do you run the wire through? Do you really have to take out the amp as in the instructions? Anybody have pictures of the install? How do you remove the clips for the trunk trim? My dealer wants $1200 installed.
Old 04-21-09, 12:53 PM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

What was the dealer in Utah that sells it for $269?
Old 04-26-09, 06:37 AM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Stlgasman,

I was able to fish a small wire through between the rear deak and the side of the roof piller. It was very easy. Came out right above where the tuner is installed. Just three bolts hold the amp in. No problem at all. I used a small pry tool to take out the plastic pins. Just take your time and be careful. The dealer was Park Place Lexus in Texas. I bought it off Ebay. Everything went well.
Old 04-26-09, 06:41 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

bhaubold,

So you mounted the antenna off to the side and didn't center it?
Old 04-26-09, 03:06 PM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

I ended up mounting the antenna to the right side of the brake light on the rear deck. Leaving enough room to clean the rear window. I glued a piece of velcro to the antenna and it held very well to the deck material.
Old 04-27-09, 06:02 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

bhaulbod,

do you notice a drop off in audio volume when you use the XM? Did you have trouble removing the trunk trim?
Old 04-28-09, 12:33 PM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the volume did drop off. On Sat Radio, I have to turn it up to about 20 to hear it well. The trunk trim was no problem. Just pull the plastic rivets. The rear plastic section pulls straight up.
Old 05-12-09, 04:38 PM
Richie7
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Thanks to helping posters!

I just installed my XM radio (bought on Ebay from Tx Lexus dealer although Toyota radio) on my 09 350 and all of you who previously posted a reply...I thank you. It WAS easy and no disconnecting of battery. Simply connect and clip. What took the most time was getting the trunk walls off, etc. I did put the antenna inside my rear window next to back up light. Since my interior is black my antenna is not that noticeable. No problem with reception either. thanks for all of you for your help. I never would have tackled something like this without all of you giving your advice, etc. thanks.

Quick Reply: XM Tuner Install