ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Funny smells after turning of AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 12:25 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Funny smells after turning of AC

When weather is cool like this week, there are times when i need to simply turn off my AC (and leave the vent running at low speed). However, the air stank after i turned off my AC. For all other cars that i have driven, the stinking smell normally goes away after a minute or 2 (which is normal). But on my ES350, this smells stayed on for 10 minutes at least.

If i turned the AC back on, the funny smell would go away immediately. Has anyone ever experienced this? is there a fix for this at all? My workaround now is to either leave the AC on at all times or don't turn it on at all when i get into the car (so there is no weird smell from the AC).
Old 05-06-09, 01:00 PM
love_lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems you need change your cabin air filter now, I had exact same issue as yours a week ago, and the smell comes back normal totally now.
I bought a OEM air filter for $30 at Michael's Toyota.
Old 05-06-09, 04:40 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by love_lexus
It seems you need change your cabin air filter now, I had exact same issue as yours a week ago, and the smell comes back normal totally now.
I bought a OEM air filter for $30 at Michael's Toyota.
Guy in the LS430 forum had a mouse stuck in his center counsel cup holder.. Maybe you have one in the AC>>> Keeps cool when turned on..
Old 05-06-09, 04:57 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometime mold accumulates at the filter. There is a product that I generally use once a year to solve the smell (mine smells of **** -.-"). It works better than buying a new filter as it lasts for 6months or more. If you want to try that first its called 1Z Klima-Clean by Einzett. Phil, one of our detailing sponsors, sells the product. It works as advertised

btw, the smell after is a lemony scent

EDIT. Heres a links for you
http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...PROD&ProdID=41

Last edited by eyezack87; 05-06-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 07:33 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I think the way the system works is when you have the "outside air" without the AC working the ducts divert the air around the AC evaporator. This still goes through the cabin filter. So it does not make sense that the smell is in the cabin filter. If it smells musty it can be mold in the ducts. If so then you can buy a spray can of mold eliminator and spray it into the intake ducts while the fans are running and the AC is off. This will kill the mold in the ducts and the filter. I would suggest after you do this that you buy another cabin filter and change it.
Old 05-06-09, 10:21 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing i did was to swap out the filter. As a matter of fact, i have replaced it with a charcoal cabin filter thinking that it would help. However, it was not the filter that was causing the problem (remember when my AC was on, i didn't get that funny smell. I only get that when i turned off the AC while while continuing to allow outside air in). One of my work arounds was to simply turn the AC back on and that would immediately rid that musty smell. On days where i didn't use AC at all, the incoming outside air smelled normal.

Like you said, after the AC was off, maybe the incoming outside air was then diverted and that it was picking something along the way before it came into the cabin (maybe the residual of the AC refrigerant or something or mold).

So where is the intake duct? Is that located around the cabin area? That's is a good idea to spray the molder killer there to see if it helps.

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I think the way the system works is when you have the "outside air" without the AC working the ducts divert the air around the AC evaporator. This still goes through the cabin filter. So it does not make sense that the smell is in the cabin filter. If it smells musty it can be mold in the ducts. If so then you can buy a spray can of mold eliminator and spray it into the intake ducts while the fans are running and the AC is off. This will kill the mold in the ducts and the filter. I would suggest after you do this that you buy another cabin filter and change it.
Old 05-07-09, 05:09 AM
jagtoes
Racer

If you open your hood and look near the windshield wipers you will see 3 grilled openings. This is where the outside air comes into the car. So go to a local auto store and get a can of car deodorizer and with the hood open and engine running and the system on "outside air" without the AC and the fans on just spray some stuff in the 3 vents. Let it circulate for a few minutes and it should solve the problem. I believe you can buy this in different "smells" so make sure you get the one you like because it will stay in the cabin filter for a while unless you change it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-07-09, 05:12 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Oh FYI I have owned my 08 for a little over a year and have just turned 11K miles on it. I have the system on AUTO , AC on all the time since I picked the car up. I usually run the temp at 70*.