ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Most Recent Nav version

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 11:55 AM
DivingFiji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Most Recent Nav version

I'm ready to buy my first Lexus (ES 350 - used 2007) and want to ask the dealer to install the most recent Nav update as part of negotiation. What is the best way to know if it already has it? Or should I opt for the car without the Nav. Seems to have "issues" based on posts I've read. Never had nav before, so I won't miss it. Thanks!
Old 07-06-09, 04:28 PM
John_B
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DivingFiji
I'm ready to buy my first Lexus (ES 350 - used 2007) and want to ask the dealer to install the most recent Nav update as part of negotiation. What is the best way to know if it already has it? Or should I opt for the car without the Nav. Seems to have "issues" based on posts I've read. Never had nav before, so I won't miss it. Thanks!
I will never get an in dash Nav again unless the car has a Heads up display (HUD) on the windshield and the Nav is integrated with it. I have a Corvette with Nav and HUD and I like seeing the instructions on the HUD. The downside is that updates cost about $200 and the Nav can not be programmed while driving (even by a passenger).

I also have a Garmin Nuvi 650 that I use in my other cars. The Garmin can be programmed while in motion and updates cost less than $70. I think this is the better option and what we use in my wife's 2008 ES350.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The ES350 is a fine automobile.

John
Old 07-06-09, 09:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I have Nav, my wife doesn't. Every time she rides with me, she comments on my backup camera. I now wish I had got the nav for her for that feature alone. As far as the navigation unit is concerned. I don't use it, I tried it once, and did not like it. Both my wife and myself have navigation with our cell phones, and I much prefer the navigation features in the phone. I have mine wired so that it plays out of the speakers in the car.

Lou
Old 07-07-09, 09:51 AM
DivingFiji
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I bought the car last night and love it so far. Yes, I could have done without the Nav and saved some $$, but it seems to work well enough. Didn't have any problems with the voice commands working. The program is outdated though. My company is in a fairly new industrial park, and the road does not appear at all on the screen. Will see if I can go back to the dealer and request complimentary update (yeah, right).... Very comfortable and quiet car - and snazzy looking too!