ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Engine Vibration at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 02:53 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Vibration at Idle

Hi - I have an '07 that has an inconsistent idle/vibration. Sometimes it idles rough and other times it is somewhat smooth. When it's really rough, it can feel like it is going into "near stall" stage.

My local dealer did the "EG023-07 Engine idle vibration and drone noise" TSB and replaced the engine mount insulator as they called it. While I think this reduced the "near stall" issue, it still has a rough idle at times (probably 60% -80%) ..... and it can be smoother at one stoplight and then rougher at the next a block away.

Has any one else been successful at resolving this? If so, can I ask which dealer provided a solution? My hope is that there is some dealer around the Chicagoland area that has dealt with this and can fix it.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-09, 06:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you try using the search function about this?
Old 08-06-09, 08:23 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

I'm not an expert but have run across similar issues with the ES350. The front engine mount is active meaning that it actually can adjust to engine vibrations. There is a controller for that mount that monitors an array of engine variables that is mounted on the right hand metal dash support behind the glove compartment. They can easily test that circuit and possibly that is why they replaced the mount. The way you describe the difference between stops would lead me more to fuel/air but if it is bad enough to shake as you described it would most likely throw a code. Do you ever get a check engine light?
Old 08-06-09, 11:00 AM
love_lexus
Driver

I always turn on A/C, and I can feel steering wheel minor vibration at stop light sometimes. I talked with Lexus service adviser, he told me it mainly because front wheel drive with bigger engine. My GS and GX don't have any vibration feeling at all.
But I'm ok with this occasional minor vibration.
Old 08-06-09, 02:09 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your intake air filter and make sure that the intake box is secured correctly. If you have a small gap, this could cause the rough idle.
Old 08-06-09, 02:31 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

Bob - I don't know if the dealership did any testing, I think they just simply replaced the part after I brought the TSB to their attention this spring (thanks to those who posted it on here) I did ask to see the part they replaced and what they presented to me was something that looked much like a starter, without the shaft in the center, had 3 "legs" where it bolted on to something (I assumed the engine, but since all the underhood covers are there, I haven't taken those off yet to look where the part actually resides). It also had one electrical connector terminal on it. I'm not a mechanic, so this very well could have been a starter and they were just pulling my leg, who knows.

Also, the MIL has never went off and to my knowledge no codes have been throw.

Also, originally when this started, say around 10 - 15k miles, I was told it was just the gas companies messing with the "winter fuel mix" (that was the '07 -'08 winter). It didn't improve in the summer of '08 (that's when I was told it was just "normal operation" and "every car has its issues") and the near stall thing started in the '08 - '09 winter. I've tried switching brands of fuel, running the car practically out of fuel, even switching to mid-grade from premium for a while, all to no avail. That's when I pushed for the TSB to be done.

Immediately, after they replaced the "insulator" I thought it felt better for a day or two. I also noticed that my life to date fuel economy was reset, making me wonder if there was some sort of "hard reset" done as part of the TSB, forcing the engine to "relearn" the idle "parameters" - and then later "relearned" the wrong idle "parameters" again. I don't know if there's any real basis for this theory. But now it's been back to its normal "vibration mode" for several months now.

I also haven't actually seen the TSB, I only have the number. Not that I'm going to be able to decipher it, it would just be nice to know what it says.

I've been following this issue on here for the past year or so and hoped at some point there would be a solution.

Unfortunately, while my ES was repaired, I drove an '08 loaner and it was consistently smooth at idle, which tells me something isn't right with mine.

I haven't tried the deck of cards trick on the hood, but I don't think mine would go the same way as in the commercial.
Old 08-07-09, 05:03 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

From your description, that is in fact the active mount. Three legs (which bolt into the engine frame) and a threaded single bolt hole on the top (bolts to the engine. The wires control the solenoid in the active mount. There is an acceleration sensor on the bottom where it mounts but they would have reused that and has nothing the do with idle. Good point made above about air filter top not being seated correctly but it sounds like you don't get involved in that and Lexus garages usually aren't sloppy with things like that because they know it would only cause a problem, unhappy customer etc. The other part of this repair that is a little odd is that the active mount adjusts to compensate for vibration. You were talking about serious vibration and rough idling to the point of possibly stalling. It's like repairing the unit that should help you NOT feel the vibration instead of fixing the root cause of the vibration itself. If I were you and you have another Lexus dealer within reasonable driving distance, I would get another opinion. Could be sensors or the ECM. The 3.5 is very common in the Toyota line and not unique to the ES. It's the same engine in the RX, some Avalons and trucks. If it's as bad as you say even though it is intermittent, they should be able to fix it. Good Luck.