ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Water Marks on Black ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 08:28 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Marks on Black ES

I have a black 2009 ES. I knew that black was a high color to maintain, but I don't mind b/c I wash my car at least once a week and sometimes more. Anyway I have these small water marks on various places on the car now. Has anyone figured out how to get rid of these marks? I tried wax, but got no results. The water marks are not obvious unless you look closely, but they are annoying.
Old 09-20-09, 09:53 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mix a dilution of White Vinegar and Deionized water. I forgot the ratio (someone chime in please) but its what I use. Hasn't failed me yet
Old 09-21-09, 06:57 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

How do you wash you car? I heard the Mr. Clean system is pretty good. The rinse agent doesn't dry and leave spots.
Old 09-21-09, 07:09 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I use Meguiar's Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and nothing else. I like the suds and it doesn't seem to take off the wax. One thing I thought of is that I tend to wash my car in direct sunlight, which may not be a good idea, maybe washing it in the shade is better. I have not tried Mr. Clean or the Vinegar and Deionized water. Vinegar seems kind of harsh don't you think?
Old 09-21-09, 07:15 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

washing your car in a direct sunlight is a bad idea and that will give you more water marks. you might need an exterior detail
Old 09-21-09, 07:49 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Mix a dilution of White Vinegar and Deionized water. I forgot the ratio (someone chime in please) but its what I use. Hasn't failed me yet
1:1. Basically 50% white vinegar and 50% deionized water. Don't forget to rewax afterwards.
Old 09-22-09, 07:14 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Thanks I may try the vinegar mix and then wax. I may study this a little more.....though
Old 09-23-09, 03:25 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may need to have a professional detailer polish / wax the exterior and then just try and maintain best you can with info listed here. I have 3 dark cars after having three white cars in my "fleet". Will go back to white or silver next time.
Old 09-29-09, 02:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If you can avoid washing your car, you are better off. Water ages your surface and all trim attached. Many detailers never wash their cars, including myself. Instead, use a clean damp cloth to wipe your car off, being sure to rinse it out several times as you go along. This, coupled with a good coat of wax every few months and you shouldn't have too many spotting issues.
Old 09-29-09, 04:24 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
You may need to have a professional detailer polish / wax the exterior and then just try and maintain best you can with info listed here. I have 3 dark cars after having three white cars in my "fleet". Will go back to white or silver next time.
+1 garsarno, I'll never have another dark colored car, too much trouble and they fade !
Old 09-29-09, 05:22 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Well I can understand some concerns about never buying a black car, but IMO there is no better color than black. I don't mind keeping it clean and working at it. I have three other cars that are non black and I wash them as much as do I my ES 350. I'm just into clean vehicles and can't stand the sight of a dirty car . I see many ES 350's out on the road that are begging for a wash, really disgusting IMO. I think it would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to keep your car clean by just going over it with a damp cloth. Never heard of that actually. What about rain, mud, dust, bugs, road grim, etc? Seems like all you would be doing is rubbing more dirt into the paint resulting in severe scratching. I think I'll pass on that one.....
Old 09-29-09, 06:32 PM
jrey330/04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur LexPaul...i own black es330 and nothing like luxury black car kept clean . Just takes work and passion about wanting to look clean. I know it is just an opinion but I'm not buying the point about putting water on vehicle, doesnt make sense but to ea it's own.
Old 09-29-09, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Well I can understand some concerns about never buying a black car, but IMO there is no better color than black. I don't mind keeping it clean and working at it. I have three other cars that are non black and I wash them as much as do I my ES 350. I'm just into clean vehicles and can't stand the sight of a dirty car . I see many ES 350's out on the road that are begging for a wash, really disgusting IMO. I think it would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to keep your car clean by just going over it with a damp cloth. Never heard of that actually. What about rain, mud, dust, bugs, road grim, etc? Seems like all you would be doing is rubbing more dirt into the paint resulting in severe scratching. I think I'll pass on that one.....
Only works if you keep the car clean on a regular basis, dust it off first, don't drive in rain or through gutters, and don't park under trees. In other words, you have to really go out of your way.