ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Air pressure indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 05:55 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Air pressure indicator light

Yesterday my air pressure indicator light went on in my 2007 es350.The manual indicates that if it goes on and stays on for more than a minute there is a problem with the light itself, not with the air pressure in the tires. I checked all of the tires and even put some additional air in each to see if the light would go out, but it didnt. i live 80 miles from my Lexus dealership and dont want to go all the way over there for something so minor, and was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing the problem and how i might be able to fix it myself. Is there some fuse that could be involved etc.?Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-07-09, 06:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Your owner's manual contains detailed instructions on how to reset the TPMS system. There is a button on the very bottom of the dash just to the right of the steering column. If you can't find these instructions, post again, and I will detail them for you.

Lou
Old 10-07-09, 07:44 AM
ndg
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to check the spare tire in the trunk, too.
Old 10-07-09, 09:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ndg
Don't forget to check the spare tire in the trunk, too.
The spare has no sensor on it. It doesn't register with the TPMS.

Lou
Old 10-07-09, 02:41 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

The spare tire does come with the car with a tire pressure sensor even though my AZ selling dealer service rep did orginally tell me that it did not in 2007. I doubted his advice and went home and took a little air out of the spare to test it. All five have sensors and if all of the original poster's tires are good his spare is probably low.

Dave Mac
Old 10-07-09, 03:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

My wife's 2008 ES does not have sensor on the spare Also, if the tires were first set with the pressure too high, the TPMS system needs to be reset when the tires are correctly inflated. My wife's car came from the dealer with over 40lbs in each wheel. When I put in the proper pressure, the system went off. I reset it, and all is fine.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 10-07-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 07:05 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2007 model built in 2006 has a sensor in the original spare tire. All five have to be in the proper range or the light will illuminate.

If the air pressure in your tires is correct then you probably have a bad sensor. I had one of my sensors go bad and once it was replaced my light problem was resolved.
Old 10-08-09, 06:26 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep the spare should have the sensor otherwise the tire rotation pattern wouldn't make sense. I.e. the spare is part of the rotation.
Old 10-08-09, 06:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

OK, perhaps we are talking apples and oranges here Do you folks have a full size spare with an alloy wheel, or a donut? My wife's car, with a donut, does not have a sensor on her spare.

Lou
Old 10-08-09, 07:09 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the helpful and informative replies. I will check my spare .Have had my es since july,2007.. I dont recall how much air pressure my tires had when i bought the car,but having driven it for over 2 years, i figured the sensor is bad. I just hope the reset works so i dont have to drive 80 miles each way to get the warranty work.
thanks again.
Old 10-12-09, 01:50 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just put a 2lbs of additional pressure in the tires and enjoy...If the tire is not seriously under-inflated, then these warnings are just annoying.
Old 10-13-09, 10:35 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

i followed the instructions in the manual on how to reset the TPMS but the light didnt go out. i guess the indicator is faulty.
sircharles...are you saying that if i overinflate the tires the light will go out and stay out?I put addl air in each tire and it didnt change the TPMS light..it stayed on.
Thanks.
Old 10-13-09, 10:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Try it again. I thought I followed the instructions too, the first time I tried it, but no go. The second time worked like a charm.

Lou
Old 10-14-09, 04:37 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
My wife's 2008 ES does not have sensor on the spare Also, if the tires were first set with the pressure too high, the TPMS system needs to be reset when the tires are correctly inflated. My wife's car came from the dealer with over 40lbs in each wheel. When I put in the proper pressure, the system went off. I reset it, and all is fine.

Lou
+1, a few years ago, I heard that Lexus put 40lbs in the tires for transit to dealerships
Old 10-14-09, 05:24 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEARCATJER

Yesterday my air pressure indicator light went on in my 2007 es350.The manual indicates that if it goes on and stays on for more than a minute there is a problem with the light itself, not with the air pressure in the tires. I checked all of the tires and even put some additional air in each to see if the light would go out, but it didnt. i live 80 miles from my Lexus dealership and dont want to go all the way over there for something so minor, and was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing the problem and how i might be able to fix it myself. Is there some fuse that could be involved etc.?Thanks for any help you can provide.
My wife's ES 350 Air Pressure Indicator Light has been on for month's. After reading your message and the following replies, I decided to read the Manual to see if I could make the Indicator Light go out.

This is what I did:

Got in the car and sat behind the steering wheel. I pushed on the Engine Switch 3 times. Then I reached down and held the Tire Pressure reset switch for a few seconds as I watched the light blink. Then I released the button.

At that point, the Air Pressure Indicator Light went out. Waited a few seconds, started the car to see if the indicator light was on. It was not.

I restarted the car to check again. Success !!

~ Cap

Quick Reply: Air pressure indicator light