Porterfield Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 06:58 AM
TA-9ff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porterfield Brake Pads

Hello all,

I'm a new member here, and my gf has a 2008 ES350.

Her car only has 19k miles, but we already need new front rotors, due to them being severely warped.

I decided to order Porterfield Carbon brake pads (I have them on my own car, and they work great!) but I was wondering if using the pads will cause any warning lights/error messages to come on?

For my Benz, the Porterfield brake pads don't have the hole for which you can connect the brake sensors, but luckily, my car doesn't throw any error messages with the brake sensors disconnected.

Would this be the same case for Lexus cars?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-09, 09:10 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard...New rotors after 19k miles??...Umm seems like there could be another problem here...but I would think that your GF should be covered under warranty if she has been keeping her service/maintenance up to date....but IMO disconnecting any sensors on this car will surely set off alarms, this car is really 'wired', but having said that I would 'discreetly' check with a Lexus dealer to be sure....
Old 10-08-09, 08:55 PM
TA-9ff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexPaul
Welcome aboard...New rotors after 19k miles??...Umm seems like there could be another problem here...but I would think that your GF should be covered under warranty if she has been keeping her service/maintenance up to date....but IMO disconnecting any sensors on this car will surely set off alarms, this car is really 'wired', but having said that I would 'discreetly' check with a Lexus dealer to be sure....
Thanks for the tips............

lol........discreetly..........
Old 10-11-09, 02:28 PM
TA-9ff
Driver School Candidate

Porterfields are a no-go. Warning lights come on. How lame!

My Mercedes-Benz also has brake sensors, but doesn't give out warning lights every time I decide to mod it!

Bleh, Lexus! Time to trade in my gf's car for a German one. lol!
Old 10-21-09, 12:08 PM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys, I'm kind of a newbie myself but have replaced brakes on two ES350's (both 07's) and I just don't know what brake pads have to do with the wheel sensors. The only wires going to the wheel assemblies are the ABS sensor wires that go in the cast iron bearing hub that read the notches on the bearing spindle assemblies. If you pull the ABS sensors your ABS light as well as your VSC light will come on and those functions will be disabled. The brake pads are not anywhere near that and have no wires near them. Am I missing something?????
Old 10-21-09, 04:11 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would surely go to the dealer and discuss the rotor problem. I am coming up on my 30k maintenance and have already told the service coordinator that it has a vibration when applying the brakes pretty hard and he said that they would be covered. I'll find out soon enough.