ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bodyside mouldings on a '10

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 04:46 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Bodyside mouldings on a '10

I had the dealer install a set and now I'm thinking of taking them off.
I know the ES looks so much better without the side moulding but I've seen the moulding on '07-'09s and the look isn't that bad.The new chrome piece on the '10's makes the side mouldings look worse.
Does save some door dings,though.Door dings can be fixed by dent guys but it's the paint chip dings that hurt.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-06-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 04:19 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Door dings can be "fixed" by the dent guys but it is not invisible. Had one on the passenger side fixed by the dealership under the additonal dent warranty my wife wanted. It looks better but it is not perfect. They told me it's the best they can do.
Old 11-07-09, 05:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garsarno
Door dings can be "fixed" by the dent guys but it is not invisible. Had one on the passenger side fixed by the dealership under the additonal dent warranty my wife wanted. It looks better but it is not perfect. They told me it's the best they can do.
Got to be tougher on black,though.A ding with a paint chip would be worse.
I don't know what to do.
I'll decide by next weekend.
Old 11-07-09, 06:35 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Joe, I have to agree the ES looks better without the molding, although not all owners have the luxury of parking in safe spots. How much protection does the molding add since the "impact point" of other car brands' doors differ and as a result don't line up with the molding?
Old 11-07-09, 06:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeP
Joe, I have to agree the ES looks better without the molding, although not all owners have the luxury of parking in safe spots. How much protection does the molding add since the "impact point" of other car brands' doors differ and as a result don't line up with the molding?
Good points,Mike.
My wife said something to me this morning that's helping me make up my mind.
She said...
"You never park next to anyone,anyway"
So,I think they're coming off next weekend.
Old 11-07-09, 11:05 AM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd leave the side molding and take off that chrome piece running across the bottom. LOL

With the molding at least your car looks DIFFERENT from every other ES350 which in NJ are plentiful according to Forbes...I'd leave it on.
Old 11-09-09, 07:46 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garsarno
I haven't seen the dent so I'm not going to open my big mouth and insert my foot. However, PDR is an art form to the guys that do it. Some are better than others. Generally speaking, a common door ding can be removed and look absolutely perfect, completely invisible, to even a trained eye. If I had a door ding and could still see it after the PDR, I'd take it back. "It's the best we can do" comment, tells me they probably have "in house" amateurs doing their work.
Old 11-09-09, 09:09 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In house is right.
Old 01-06-10, 07:38 PM
tonyst
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 Lexus ES 350 Side Moldings (with pic)

Had dealer install side moldings and complete 3M Clear Guard on new 2010 ES 350. I like the look of the side moldings. I live on a gravel road and had the 3M Clear Guard on my 2006 Inifiti G35 and didn't have any stone/rock damage after 39 months.
Attached Thumbnails Bodyside mouldings on a '10-lexus-2010-es-350.jpg  
Old 01-09-10, 06:37 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Tony, what is 'complete' clear guard?

Love really diggin' that color! hmmm.....
Old 01-09-10, 09:16 AM
tonyst
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Macklin
Tony, what is 'complete' clear guard?

Love really diggin' that color! hmmm.....
3M Paint Protection Film. The lexus site has it listed as a dealer option. The Lexus site option only includes the front of the hood. I opted for a complete package that the dealer offered which also includes front/back bumpers and mirrors. This is a neat option. You have to look for it to see it. Doesn't effect waxing/washing and it really works. Like I said in a previous post, my 06 Infiniti didn't have a rock dent even though I live on a gravel road. My previous car (BMW 528) paint job was ruined with the gravel.
Old 01-09-10, 01:52 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Ok, that is what I almost had done to my car right after I bought it. The back bumper wasn't included, but that has not been a problem. As for the front...Lexus paint ain't what it used to be...

But back OT, the door dings have not been a problem either. But I am **** about parking on the end close to the curb. Which is why I have curb rash on three of my wheels.
Old 01-09-10, 08:21 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too is looking actively on some car protection from idiots that doesn't care of other people's cars, i found this site: http://www.carbumper.com/bumper_guard.html

But i won't do the doors since it will scratch it anyway by the way it is constructed, i will have to build on my own a safe guard device like foam insulating tubing and an elastic rope that run across and put it on whenever i park on an unsafe area. The rope will be hook with rubber on the gap of the front and back doors. To make it more esthetic, i will cover the tubing with a vinyl black cover.

As for the front, rear and corners, it will have to have some 3/4 inch rails colored black (since my car is black).

Call me mad, but that is how i can keep my car look new every year instead of repainting and dent removing.
Old 01-09-10, 08:41 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Most of the time it is possible to park the car in the far end of the parking lot where lazy people would not go. These people are often the same careless slobs in rusted Grand Ams, that would bang your doors with theirs.
It is only good for you to walk extra hundred steps to the store and you will have the peace of mind, knowing that some runaway abandoned shopping cart would not damage your car.
One of the items on the website cited by Blueshark is truly useful if you have narrow garage shared by two cars. These thin rubber door edge moldings would at least prevent your car from being dinged by your own spouse or kids. A have these on my wife's car (were on when I bought it), although our garage is now wide enough that the cars cannot ding each other.
Actually I believe that most door dings are inflicted by children of elementary school age - they already climb out of the car themselves but have no clue that swinging the door open is a boo-boo.
Old 01-09-10, 09:04 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe in the mantra of parking far away, that i have no problem, but the doors protection device that i will make is for when i have NO choice.

Boy, you're right on about those Grand AM cars, minivan is a killer too. I don't mind arming my car like a dork as long as have piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Bodyside mouldings on a '10