garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, that's my ES350 pictured!
Old 12-17-09, 08:00 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I pondered this quesiton when I bought my ES and someone said "nice Camry". I recently had the opportunity to have a Camry as a rental while in St Louis. I was able to put about 500 miles on it, highway, city streets and side roads.

Exterior - you can tell they share a platform and have simliar sheet metal styling as well as lighting. There is no hiding that fact. Unless you are a Lexus owner (and perhaps a car snob) you cannot tell the difference from 500 feet away while on the highway or perhaps even in a parking lot without needing more than just a glance.

Interior - there is no comparison, IMO. Noise is more abundant in the Camry, the fit and finish is not as pristine; an example being the passenger side airbag. I could see the outline underneath the dash plastic on the Camry and the ES has an extra layer (or thicker material) and the casing is well hidden. Door panel materials are much cheaper as are the enviro controls, radio controls, ALL *****, vents, seats (bolstering and materials) pretty much everything on the cars inside.

Performance - meh. Pick up was nice and nver left me wanting for power or 'hoping' I could get ahead of traffic while merging onto a highway. Steering was a bit more communicative than the ES. I chalk this up to the ES having some tweaks done to the suspension and steering for a cushier ride.

In short, if you ever hear anyone telling you the ES is a gussied up Camry they either haven't been able to compare them against each other or they are seeking a reason to downtalk you since they couldn't afford the better marque.
Old 12-17-09, 08:41 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfectly posted... The ES is a superior vehicle.
Old 12-17-09, 04:34 PM
Nifo0r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No comparison even though some say ES is a luxurious model of Camry.
Old 12-18-09, 06:14 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like comparing a Mercury Grand Marquis and then driving a Lincoln Town Car. Same basic car but everything runs / feels a little smoother in the Town Car.
Old 12-23-09, 08:51 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The class of a Lexus is unmatched by a Toyota
Old 01-10-10, 05:52 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned an '07 Camry V6 XLE (fully loaded) and have an '07 ES350. Here's what I found different on the ES:

* As others said, the exterior sheet metal and interior styling are different (more refined & elegant). And, gaps between /alignment of interior panels are *way* better on the Lexus than the Camry.
* Better soundproofing; EX: the Lexus has rubber spacers between each plastic peg securing interior door panels to the metal door frame; Lexus has sound dampening windshield (Camry Hybrid also has this), less road noise (engine noise & vibration are the same), Lexus has sound dampening materials in engine compartment (plastic covers etc)
* More soft touch plastics inside (EX on doors, center console, vent *****), soft fuzzy A/B/C pillar covers vice hard plastic
* Real wood vice fake wood inside
* Wood steering wheel
* HID lamps available; have auto-swivel
* Water repellant front side windows
* Convenience features (Ex Pull handle inside trunk lid, puddle lamps & turn signals on outside mirrors, auto dimming outside mirrors, auto wipers, smog sensor in climate system, footwell lamps, lamp in console box, keyless entry sensor on all 4 doors not just front ones)
* Lacks the foul plasticizer/adhesive smell the Camry has when new
* Better ergonomics/comfort: Driver seat cushion extender, fan ventilated front seats, softer leather
* Small touches: Black plastic covers over door hinge plates and bolts visible when doors open, Felt inside glove box and center console to reduce rattles, Spiffier combination meter (speedo & tach needles give off light and illuminate background legend in vicinity), power trunk & fuel door release, illuminated buttons for trunk & fuel door and for mirror adjustment and for lock/window switches, more refined interior styling (note how accent lines wrap from dash to doors), better padding in arm rests, damped "jesus handles" and coat hooks, metal tire valve caps vice plastic, LED illumination for rear license plate vice incandescent (very sharp looking), better headliner material, etc.
* auto tilt mirror when in reverse
* parking sensors
* Better nav system ('10 ES has hard disk unit that's faster than DVD based unit in Camry)
* Rear seat torso airbags
* Sturdier trunk floor due to full size spare supporting it
* Concealed trunk lid goosenecks prevent luggage damage

Negatives of ES vs Camry:
* Less storage cubbyholes
* No fold-down rear seat (Camry LE, CE); No reclining rear seat (Camry XLE)
* Costs much more to buy and to maintain