ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 vs. Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 02:26 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ES 350 vs. Camry

In most reviews of the ES, auto journalists usually mention its close relationship to the Camry. I don't remember ever reading an in-depth comparison, explaining what components are the same and what's different. I also don't remember reading any road tests which compare the driving, ride quality, seat comfort, handling, etc. of both.

Does anyone have experience with both a current model Camry and ES350 and could discuss your impressions of both cars? It's obvious the ES has more standard features, many more available options and a luxury interior. I guess I'm more interested in driving impressions, suspension calibrations, steering feel, etc.

I do have to add that knowing the ES is closely related to the Camry doesn't bother me at all. If platform sharing helps to keep the cost down, that's good enough reason for me.
Old 11-08-09, 02:53 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't have any experience with the Camry Mike but I can tell you that my Avalon was just as good if not better than my 10' ES350.

The Avalon rides just as smooth as the Lexus. It's just as quiet as the Lexus (IMHO) and it gets just as good if not better mpg than the Lexus. My wife averaged 29mph driving back and forth to work on mostly freeway driving using 87 octane. The back seat is no comparison. The Avalon has one of the largest in the industry. More headroom and shoulder room in the front seat of the Avalon. Larger center console in the Avalon also.

The Lexus feels "snug" which isn't all bad.

I'm really not complaining because the ES350 is my wife's and as long as she is happy life is good. I imagine the ES350 will have a little higher resale value when we're ready to sell it. My 06 Limited was priced at just about the same price as the Lexus so I'm happy. What it really boiled down to was that my wife always wanted a Lexus and now she has one. End of discussion.
Old 11-08-09, 03:21 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want luxery, get the ES.

If you want sporty, get the Camry SE V6
Old 11-08-09, 06:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

My wife had an '07 Camry LE 4 cylinder with many options. She now has an '08 ES with few options The ES is of course a lot more powerful, but much quieter, and far more luxurious. Handling is similar, but the ES feels better damped. My wife, who doesn't know about such things, described torque steer to me. A phenomena she was not familiar with, since this is the most powerful FWD car she has ever owned. For her, this is a great car, for me - not so much.

Lou
Old 11-09-09, 03:38 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like comparing the Ford versus Mercury versus Lincoln cars. For instance, the Crown Vic is the basic, Grand Marquis has a better ride, better interior materials while the Town Car has the ultimate ride and surrounding. If you drove all three in sequence from Ford to Mercury to Lincoln, you would experience the difference as you would from the base Camry to the ES350.
Old 11-09-09, 07:04 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Underneath everything you can see on the inside and out, the cars are virtually identical.
Old 11-09-09, 08:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the ES has some suspension tweaks for a softer ride,some extra sound deadening and more luxury trim and appointments.
Same car but so different other that the drivetrain.
Old 11-09-09, 09:12 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Having read Joeb427 post reminded me of the time I rode in a coworker's 1977 Ford Granada. Nice car but then I bought a 1977 Mercury Monarch. Both were red in and out but the Mecury ride was softer and quieter. It's the tweaks that count!
Old 11-09-09, 12:10 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the body and interior are totally different. Suspension tuning and sound insulation are also different in the Lexus. I suspect the steering feel should be identical to the Camry's.

This has been the separation between the ES and Camry ever since the badge-clone first generation was replaced. Lots of haters out there are beating a dead horse. Hey, it's got great quality and reliability, and it's got great comfort and gadgets, and it sells!

The RX is also designed on the Camry platform, and it's the best-selling Lexus in the US.

Last edited by superchan7; 11-09-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 12:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MikeP
In most reviews of the ES, auto journalists usually mention its close relationship to the Camry. I don't remember ever reading an in-depth comparison, explaining what components are the same and what's different. I also don't remember reading any road tests which compare the driving, ride quality, seat comfort, handling, etc. of both.

Does anyone have experience with both a current model Camry and ES350 and could discuss your impressions of both cars? It's obvious the ES has more standard features, many more available options and a luxury interior. I guess I'm more interested in driving impressions, suspension calibrations, steering feel, etc.

I do have to add that knowing the ES is closely related to the Camry doesn't bother me at all. If platform sharing helps to keep the cost down, that's good enough reason for me.
Originally Posted by MikeP

The ES is built to twice the tolerance specs of a Camry.
ES is built in Japan, Camry in Kentucky
They share no sheetmetal
The interiors are completely different
Suspensions are different
Engines are the same, ES has a very mild HP edge

I've driven both fairly recently. I really like the Camry. Compared to the ES, well its not as quiet, not as luxurious, not as "solid" and I love the gauges in the ES compared to the Camry.

The Camry to ES and Accord to TL are both great examples of platform sharing.
Old 11-09-09, 02:03 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
It's like comparing the Ford versus Mercury versus Lincoln cars. For instance, the Crown Vic is the basic, Grand Marquis has a better ride, better interior materials while the Town Car has the ultimate ride and surrounding. If you drove all three in sequence from Ford to Mercury to Lincoln, you would experience the difference as you would from the base Camry to the ES350.
Great analysis garsarno, the ES is a Lexus, you pay for the interior ambience and better ride.
Old 11-09-09, 03:11 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, guys, for all the information. What you said, I pretty much suspected, but I had nothing to base my opinion on. As I mentioned in my original post, I absolutely have no problem with the ES being closely related to the Camry. Platform sharing, if done properly, will only benefit all models involved and help keep costs down.
Old 11-24-09, 03:25 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American assembly workers (GM, but pretty sure Toyota is not much different):

http://images.thecarconnection.com/m...00201329_m.jpg

Lexus assembly workers (note white gloves):

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/im...1229045138.jpg
Old 11-25-09, 04:02 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I think I can explain the white gloves: the paint is "softer" / more easily scuffed - scratched on the Lexus than on American cars. That's what my experience has been versus my Chevrolet & Jeep.
Old 11-28-09, 10:04 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
I think I can explain the white gloves: the paint is "softer" / more easily scuffed - scratched on the Lexus than on American cars. That's what my experience has been versus my Chevrolet & Jeep.

No I doubt that is the reason for them wearing gloves. It's just the level of care for their product. Paint Hardness/Softness varies from car to paint color. Toyota and Lexus are almost identical in hardness.

Quick Reply: ES 350 vs. Camry