ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 and winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 04:47 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ES 350 and winter driving

Living in Quebec with our winter, i was opting for a GS awd at first, but i started to like the ES quite a bit with all its features, but no awd (so sad) !?!

What are your experiences with winter driving with the ES ?

thanks.
Old 11-17-09, 05:16 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's front wheel drive. Fitted with all-weather tires, you should have no problems.
Old 11-17-09, 07:39 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyford1
It's front wheel drive. Fitted with all-weather tires, you should have no problems.
Agreed. I live in Ottawa. With winter tires this car is almost as good as my 4wd Envoy with all seasons.
Old 11-18-09, 03:40 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem in Northeastern PA with all weather tires. Had one incident where the car had wet snow/ice plowed in front of it quite high and I tried to power it out of it's overnight parking spot. had to shovel the snow away from it's front and rear wheels. Took about three minutes to do and then I powered away.
Old 11-18-09, 02:31 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

thank you for all your inputs. I was kind of worry about the weight of the car without AWD, i do travel on a weekly basis long distances. Of course, good winter tires are a must. I have my eye on a 2008 ES350 ultra premium available locally.

As i've heard from the GS model on interior rattling, does the ES shows the same problems or it is more isolated ?
Old 11-18-09, 03:18 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I think if you go with a set of winter tires by Nokia / Michelin on all 4 wheels, you will be prepared for almost anything.
Old 11-19-09, 10:08 AM
JC07ES350
Rookie

Originally Posted by garsarno
No problem in Northeastern PA with all weather tires. Had one incident where the car had wet snow/ice plowed in front of it quite high and I tried to power it out of it's overnight parking spot. had to shovel the snow away from it's front and rear wheels. Took about three minutes to do and then I powered away.
This is good to know because I live in NY and we have crazy snow storms also.
Old 11-19-09, 10:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm going into my 4th IL winter with the ES350 and haven't had any problems. I have Michelin all-season tires and along with TRAC and VSC it's been good.

As others have said, someone in areas that get even more snow could consider winter tires.
Old 11-19-09, 06:48 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Can someone explain if it is possible to have plain winter rims for winter tires on the ES, the dealer was explaining to me that i need lexus rims because of sensors ???! Can it be desarmed ?

thank you.
Old 11-19-09, 07:00 PM
bluejays
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blueshark
Can someone explain if it is possible to have plain winter rims for winter tires on the ES, the dealer was explaining to me that i need lexus rims because of sensors ???! Can it be desarmed ?

thank you.
Yes this is possible - I just use steel wheel for my winter tires (without the tire pressure sensors). The tire pressure light is on and that's it.
Old 11-20-09, 04:26 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Maybe you can utulize Camry wheels. Research at "www.tirerack.com for wheel answers and choices or e-bay motors.
Old 11-20-09, 08:14 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark

thank you.
You can use good ole 16" steelies. Just go to ebay and search for rims that fit the camry.

You can't disable the TPS system unfortunately so you will have to live with the yellow light on the dash. On the other hand going with 16" steel rims and tires to match will save you hundreds of dollars.
Old 11-20-09, 10:19 PM
CDN_Drew
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garsarno
Maybe you can utulize Camry wheels. Research at "www.tirerack.com for wheel answers and choices or e-bay motors.
You can. I use 16" Camry steel alloys with Michelin PA3 in 215/60R16.
Old 11-22-09, 11:03 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Fully appreciate the good news, definitively ES i will get, test drove one good potential lately, i will post in a brand new thread, please give me you input.
Old 11-24-09, 04:58 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to get wheels, why not consider a set of used wheels, that someone has taken off and put up for sale. I put a set of 17" g-spiders on my 07 ES350 and sold my stock wheels, that way your sensors will still work. Check the wheel and tire classifieds here or maybe e-bay or craig's lists. You might be surprised at what you can buy. I would put the snow tires on the rims I have now and maybe upgrade to something next spring. That way you have all winter to look around and figure out what you want to do.

Quick Reply: ES 350 and winter driving