ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Personal Best - 34 mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 06:12 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personal Best - 34 mpg!

Just returned from a trip to visit the inlaws in Pittsburgh...461 miles. Filled the tank yesterday and it only took 13.5 gallons. Do the math. I maybe could have squeezed another half gallon in there, but that is still impressive. Now, I will add that we had a wonderful tail wind the whole trip home. But traffic was barrelling down I95 at 75 to 80 at times. And folks would literally push you out of the way if you weren't keeping up.

In comparison, I got 31.5 mpg driving up there into the wind.
Old 11-29-09, 08:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice round trip average too (32-33 mpg?).
Old 11-29-09, 02:01 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Yup! I will be interested to see how full I got the tank yesterday. I put 30 miles on the car today and it did not budge off full. Normally doesn't until about 60.

I should add, we drove through some serious slush on our way up to the mountain pass on the Penn Turnpike. It snowed it arz off all the way up there. When we emerged on the other side of the tunnel there was no sign of snow and the road was near dry. Very wierd.

Gotta love front wheel drive cause I'm still running my OEM Michelin's at 30K now. I considered new tires before the trip, but they still have acceptable tread. They perfomed incredibly well.

I'm thinking I will stay with Michelins, but go with the Primacy at next oil change. I did do my 30K service right before the trip.

Last edited by Macklin; 11-29-09 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 04:20 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been averaging around 30 mpg with three people, 4 cats, trunk full, premium fuel, synthetic oil, averaging 75mph on our trips to Cleveland from Wilkes Barre, PA on Interstate 80W for years with about 1/4 tank left upon arrival. I do fill up until it can't take anymore before I leave and when I arrive.
Old 11-30-09, 04:58 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

To do a fairly accurate test you need to fill the tank all the way up to the end of the filler cap. Try doing this at your next fill up. You need to just squeeze the fuel fill until all of the air is out of the tank.When you see gas at the top of the neck under the cap you are full. Now drive it and after a few hundred miles do it again. Now do the math and see what you get. When the pump handle clicks off you could be short anywhere from 3 to 4 gals of gas.
Old 11-30-09, 01:47 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next to the last trip to Pittsburgh from Easton was a little better than 33 mpg. I was happy, I use a blend of 93 & 89 octane, and synethic oil. This last trip was with new tires (Yokohoma Avid 4s) and the 30k mile service done the best I got was a little better than 29. I guess the tires or maybe the weather being a lot colder this trip than the last. But still not bad.
Old 11-30-09, 02:04 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Just purchased certified used 07 ES350. On first trip got 33.1 mpg on regular gas. Dealership i purchased from only recommends regular as do other sites. One thing i did find out tires were inflated to 37.5 psi. On certain surfaces a bit too rough. So would like to got to 30-32 so might affect next trip mpg.
Old 12-05-09, 05:51 PM
psp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jagtoes
To do a fairly accurate test you need to fill the tank all the way up to the end of the filler cap. Try doing this at your next fill up. You need to just squeeze the fuel fill until all of the air is out of the tank.When you see gas at the top of the neck under the cap you are full. Now drive it and after a few hundred miles do it again. Now do the math and see what you get. When the pump handle clicks off you could be short anywhere from 3 to 4 gals of gas.
3-4 gallons? Are you serious?

PETER
Old 12-06-09, 04:21 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've added almost three gallons after the first click. That's why, when I do a gas mileage test, I nurse the gas at the end until it can spill out of the filler tube at the beginning of the trip and at the end. Then you get a true mpg usage.
Old 12-06-09, 06:26 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by psp
3-4 gallons? Are you serious?PETER
Ditto. I have found the fuel gauge to be extremely accurate on this car. If you are down 3 - 4 gallons the gauge will be wellllll below the full mark.
Old 12-06-09, 07:53 AM
CDN_Drew
Driver School Candidate

This car also lights up the fuel warning light fairly early (or so it seems). I've driven mine a good 40-50mi with the gas light on, and then still done a fill showing I was ~3 gallons (~10L) away from tank empty.

I know you all hate Canadian math, but it's a 70L tank, and with over 100 fills to date, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've put more than 60L in at the pump.

Anyone else have the same experience?
Old 12-06-09, 02:00 PM
jcg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to top off the tank as you describe it on my 1999 Prizm. Then, last year, the engine check light came on and it was caused by the gas tanks fume canister. I was told that filling the tank to the top causes gas to get into the filter and to never fill it to the top. It was a $625 lesson.
Old 12-06-09, 04:10 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I am also amazed at the fuel ecconomy of the ES350. My 2010 had about 1000 miles a week ago when I took a short trip across the Causeway, which is a straight, flat (except for a few overpasses) 26 mile bridge across Lake Pontchartrain. The speed limit is 65mph and I did keep the speed at the limit. I reset the average mpg readout each way. Heading away from home, I had a head wind across the bridge and averaged 31.5 mpg. With a tail wind coming back, I actually averaged 39.1mpg. That's for the whole 26 miles. Couldn't believe it.
Old 12-07-09, 04:41 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Ditto. I have found the fuel gauge to be extremely accurate on this car. If you are down 3 - 4 gallons the gauge will be wellllll below the full mark.
The float in the tank is a hair lower then the top of the tank. Also because most gas in the US is aerated it triggers the gas nozzle sooner. So try this , after the 1st time the gas nozzle clicks off try nursing the trigger until you get gas into the top of the fill neck. See how much additional gas you pumped in. You'll see that when you do this it takes a long time before the gas gage will start to go down. FYI when I fill up it usually takes around 16.5 gals .
Old 12-11-09, 02:55 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting an average of about 28mpg in my daily commute to work: some light city traffic plus mostly rural 45 mph roads with an occasional stop sign.
Then we had a pretty long snowstorm and all of a sudden my last tank is less than 22mpg!
I am not driving any different than before, but the heat and heated seats are on most of the time. I guess VSC and TCS engaging frequently because of slippery stops/starts and corners send a lot of engine power into the brakes. Indeed YMMV...

Quick Reply: Personal Best - 34 mpg!