ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recommended PSI, warning light and reality.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09 | 11:10 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Angry Recommended PSI, warning light and reality.

Had to laugh on this one. Noticed some road vibration from our recently purchased 07 ES350. First assumption like i've seen in posts here was overinflated tires. Finally got around to checking this past weekend. Car had been sitting in garage for 2 days. 3 of the tires measured 37.5 and 1 at 36.5 psi. Checking recommended setting i see 30 psi on door frame. So i corrected all 4 tires to 30 psi. In driving to work this am, the low pressure warning light came on.
I inquired with dealership service. If set for 30 psi why would this come on? Answer, we set all to 35 psi (which was untrue) so the light doesn't come on. SAY WHAT? Then why is 30 recommended. Well if you were in Florida came the response. SAY WHAT?
Anyway, i also have an 06 Toyota. It comes on at 27 psi whereas recommended setting is 32 psi. Has done so twice with spare in colder months.
But to have a Lexus service center say that 35 required to prevent low light coming on when in fact it's recommended to be 30 psi is absurd. Oh well. Now i need to add more PSI.
Anyone running at 32 psi without a problem? I'll try that first. Heck after driving awhile they should go up a little anyway.
Old 11-30-09 | 11:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I have a '10 and keep it at 30 without a problem and you shouldn't have a problem either.
Old 11-30-09 | 11:24 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Agree. May be an easy out for someone not to be bothered my my questioning it. Perhaps a pre-2010 problem or even an 07 problem? Will look for other replies. thanks.
Old 11-30-09 | 11:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raviola4
Agree. May be an easy out for someone not to be bothered my my questioning it. Perhaps a pre-2010 problem or even an 07 problem? Will look for other replies. thanks.

I haven't read of any problem like that.
The '07-'10 are pretty much the same car mechanically with some cosmetic updating.
Old 11-30-09 | 11:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I have an early build '07 (4/06) and have run 30 psi in the past but have been at 32 psi for quite a while with no problem.

Just be sure to reset the TPMS after changing the pressures.

My car was delivered with nearly 40 lbs in each tire and the dealership was reluctant to reset them to the recommended 30 lbs.
Old 11-30-09 | 11:56 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Can i reset the TPMS? Not sure where or how, but i'd just as soon do that and be done with this. Service indicated i couldn't. Also if running 30 psi shouldn't any reset for low pressure light etc. be say 28 or something below 30.?
Old 11-30-09 | 12:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The TPMS reset button is underneath the dash, on the right side (if I remember correctly) of the steering column. You have to get down and look up to see the location.

Check the owners manual, it gives the location of the reset button and the procedure. That should fix the problem.
Old 11-30-09 | 12:15 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

The recommended pressure of 30 psi is mostly for cushy, quiet ride. I keep mine at 33-34 for better gas mileage and longer tire life. The ride trade-off is minimal, and I actually like it a little firmer.
To reset TPMS follow this.
Inflate all your tires to same pressure. Don't forget the spare, if you have full size matching wheel there is a sensor in it too. Find a little button under the steering wheel column. With the car in ACC mode, press and hold the button until the TPMS indicator in the instrument cluster goes from steady to blinking. Let go the button after three blinks. Now your TPMS is reset to your current pressure as baseline. The light will come on if pressure in any of the tires drop by 5 psi. You cannot reset it at this time - all tires must be at the same pressure for reset.
Watch out - under the dash there may be another small button to the right from TPMS reset, that one turns off HID swivel function (if you have it).
Old 12-01-09 | 04:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

IMO, regardless of the manufacturers recommendation, 30 psi is just too low. Are you sure it didn't say "minimum" 30 psi? I keep 33-34 psi up front and 32-33 psi in the rear in both of my cars. My tires have always worn evenly all the way down to the wear bars. I've never had any vibration issues.
Also, keep in mind the accuracy of the tire pressure gauge. If you're using the gauge at the end of the hose at a gas station, and it says 30 psi, it could be an actual pressure of anywhere from 25-35 psi. They are not accurate at all.

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-01-09 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-01-09 | 06:30 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Actually i have a digital gauge that's very accurate. I'll probably go to 32 -33 psi in all 4. However, that'll still trigger the low warning light according to dealership. They say they put at least 35 in (mine were over 37.5 3 of 4 tires.). Anyway will try and reprogram this weekend when i have time etc. Plus spare.
30 may be too low overall but regardless if car recommends and light comes on warning you're too low at 30, that makes no sense. My Rav4 is recommended to 32. I keep 32 and it's come on when spare goes below 27 (5 lbs. diff).
No biggie, more important things in life to think about than what Lexus programs into their tire pressure thing.
Old 12-01-09 | 10:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raviola4
Actually i have a digital gauge that's very accurate. I'll probably go to 32 -33 psi in all 4. However, that'll still trigger the low warning light according to dealership. They say they put at least 35 in (mine were over 37.5 3 of 4 tires.). Anyway will try and reprogram this weekend when i have time etc. Plus spare.
30 may be too low overall but regardless if car recommends and light comes on warning you're too low at 30, that makes no sense. My Rav4 is recommended to 32. I keep 32 and it's come on when spare goes below 27 (5 lbs. diff).
No biggie, more important things in life to think about than what Lexus programs into their tire pressure thing.

If you have a full size spare,it may be too low and triggering the light.
Old 12-01-09 | 11:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

If you have a full size spare,it may be too low and triggering the light.
Old 12-01-09 | 04:32 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

My ES has the temp. tire versus full size. Actually on door show 60 psi for it. Anyway, upped psi to 35+ earlier and light went out. Will see after tires cool down. I'd like to run at 32-33 max. One more thing. Dealership called back today and again talked about colder weather, lower psi etc. I went thru same story. If Lexus recommends 30 psi, and you put 30 it shouldn't trigger a low pressure warning light. Fell on deaf ears.
Old 12-01-09 | 05:22 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Perhaps you should get a different very accurate tire gauge. Check the tires in the morning before they start rolling and set the them to 35-36psi and the hell with Lexus.

That's what I do in cool weather with my GS 350...it works!
Old 12-03-09 | 03:29 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Been reading a lot about tire pressure lately. Few conclusions I made for myself:

1. Low pressure (<30psi) almost always is a bad choice. Unless you are driving a dune buggy. In the dunes.

2. Recommended placard pressure is mostly to make the car look good to the consumer. Lower pressure DOES improve dry traction, because of the bigger contact patch with the road. And that is how the car manufacturers get awesome 0-to-60 seconds. Lower pressure gives softer and quieter ride too, appealing to most consumers.

3. Higher pressure. Continuum of "higher" here is from placard value to maximum inflating pressure shown on the sidewall by tire manufacturer. Higher pressure generally improves cornering performance (on dry pavement). You will have less body roll (firmer outside tire would squat less), and sidewalls would play less. Rolling resistance would be lower and therefore gas mileage better. Smaller contact patch would improve wet traction/hydroplaning. As far as negatives go, straightaway acceleration and braking may get worse, depending on how high you inflate. Ride would get firmer and noisier.

4. High pressure. Anything above pressure set as max by tire manufacturer is not recommended. Period. Some people (involved in "hypermiling"), do not heed warnings and go as high as 50-60 psi. They do this solely for gas mileage, and any discussion of performance or ride quality is moot.

I think that anything up to 40 psi (or whatever your tire says) on ES350 is acceptable depending on your preference. I probably would try and see how I would like the ride at 35 and 40 psi and whether that influences the gas mileage for my car.

Quick Reply: Recommended PSI, warning light and reality.