ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Help with aftermarket subwoofers in 08 es350

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09 | 10:35 AM
nuonasugen
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with aftermarket subwoofers in 08 es350

I'm thinking about putting in aftermarket subwoofers (2 12''). I have the non-mark levinson, non-nav system car. all standard stuff. unfortunately i heard that it's really hard on account of the interface and the fact that the stock amp is so weak. im planning on buying a new amp to match the subs. but how would i go about setting this all up? any audio experts out there? or better yet anyone been in my situation before and successfully did their sound system?
Old 12-08-09 | 03:34 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Good timing for me, i also will have to make my first audio upgrade with the incoming ES. Being an audiophil with my old car, i am limited on this car (which has the ML), i need some excellent SQ sub, i was thinking of transfering my old Kicker DX amp and Image Dynamic 12 inch into my new car with i'm worry about the warranty of the car.

I don't want to overpower the sub(s) with ML setting since it is tailor for SQ.

Anyway, i will be looking here for audiophils inputs.
Old 12-09-09 | 01:50 PM
JC07ES350
Rookie

Can we use the JL Cleansweep with a aftermarket Subwoofer setup?
Old 12-12-09 | 02:46 AM
gekae24
Intermediate

i tried installing a clean sweep but had major problems....now that **** is just sitting in the garage cuz i couldn't use it
Old 12-12-09 | 09:02 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Does the ML accept a second amp and sub or i have to relay the ML bass output to my kicker amp and new sub ? I know there a guy on youtube that have the kicker L5 in the trunk. One other option that i have is to reply buy another sub in the size of the OEM and retrofit for a clean look, but i want another amp to feed it for power. I want strictly SQ with a little SPL, not the otherway around.
Old 12-12-09 | 09:23 AM
chauss
Driver

Originally Posted by Blueshark
Does the ML accept a second amp and sub or i have to relay the ML bass output to my kicker amp and new sub ? I know there a guy on youtube that have the kicker L5 in the trunk. One other option that i have is to reply buy another sub in the size of the OEM and retrofit for a clean look, but i want another amp to feed it for power. I want strictly SQ with a little SPL, not the otherway around.
Use either an amp that will accept line output voltages or add an LOC (line output converter- easily found on the net- ebay, etc.) Tap into the speaker cables of rear speakers and attach to LOC or amp that accepts line output voltages and output from the amp to your sub. Done. (with the exception of setting crossover and tuning the amp. This website will help with Q's. Of course- make sure your cars electrical system will handle the required additional draw of the amp you choose.

http://www.installer.com/tech/

Here is step by step instructions right on this website:
If you choose a different sub- this should still help...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...56k-no-no.html

The ML system on the other hand is an entirely different story...(very complex to do it right because of all the DSP circuitry) If you have an ML system you will need a signal summing device and replacing the ML amp is the best way to get required response. If not- your signal will be attenuated by the ML DSP circuitry.

Last edited by chauss; 12-12-09 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-12-09 | 10:42 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Of course, i can go to an audioshop, but i was always a hands on guy. I will try to plan something for this summer, probably fiberglassing a sub. But all the wiring has to be set before and working.

If i want to go with lesser work, i can simply change the sub for a better quality SQ/SPL, but i will be limited for the OEM amp. Not the best bang for the buck.

I do appreciate the DIY link.