ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Am I too young for this Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 12:42 PM
skang5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I too young for this Car?

Hello, My wife and I traded in our old 03 ES300 and got a new 2010 Starfile Lexus ES350 Base plus Heated and ventilated front seats with Additional Options. First, I love this car but everyone around me thinks I just purchased another grandma car which I truly disagree. Does anyone in this forum trade in their BMWs MBs or Infiniti's to get ES? If so, what is your age? By the way, I am turning 28 this coming January.
Old 12-14-09, 12:47 PM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't think there's an age issue here with the car. Yes, does appear to be a very wide age range driving the ES, but personally don't consider it an old persons car. I'm waiting to take delivery on my 2010 Starfire ES. I'm 39, but consider myself in a young category. I'm trading in my 05 Acura TL. Just want a vehicle with more luxury features and a smoother ride.
Old 12-14-09, 01:07 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask your friends if they think the First Class section of an airplane is for old people too?
Old 12-14-09, 01:12 PM
b0r1cha
Driver School Candidate

sell it and get an IS
Old 12-14-09, 01:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The only people who should be concerned if it's important or not is you and your wife. It's up to you guys.

Yes, in general, a high percentage of ES350's are purchased by an older, conservative crowd. When the current gen was introduced as an '07 the stated goal was to reduce the average age of its buyers and appeal to younger buyers. Don't know to what degree that's happened or not.
Old 12-14-09, 01:50 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Ask your friends if they think the First Class section of an airplane is for old people too?
ahahaha
Old 12-14-09, 01:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,363 Posts

The age issue has been talked about ad nauseam in many forums for many cars. I believe a person should have the vehicle he or she wants and can afford and screw what other folks think. It's not their car it's yours for gosh sakes. I'm 71 and drive an IS-F. Am I too old for this car, as many folks have said, certainly not in my book. My wife (don't tell her I told you) is 63, and she drives an ES. The ES is not for me, but she loves it. She would have loved it in her 20s too. To me a car is a very personal thing, and you should drive what please you.

Lou
Old 12-14-09, 01:58 PM
skang5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The age issue has been talked about ad nauseam in many forums for many cars. I believe a person should have the vehicle he or she wants and can afford and screw what other folks think. It's not their car it's yours for gosh sakes. I'm 71 and drive an IS-F. Am I too old for this car, as many folks have said, certainly not in my book. My wife (don't tell her I told you) is 63, and she drives an ES. The ES is not for me, but she loves it. She would have loved it in her 20s too. To me a car is a very personal thing, and you should drive what please you.

Lou
Wow, I wanna be like you when I am 71 yrs young.
Old 12-14-09, 01:59 PM
skang5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burnaby
This was good, I have never thought about it that way..
Old 12-14-09, 03:13 PM
gatorcb
Driver

in early 30s...don't care what other people think It gets me where I want to go and rides nice
Old 12-14-09, 03:24 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i was browsing for my next car, i've look into almost every brand. ES was out of my list and people are saying to stay away from Lexus if you are young. But the rarety of the brand makes it cool and it will shock any youngster that hop into it. Sophistication doesn't mean old and i always amazed of people surprise when i hop into the car, not because it represent prestige, far from that, but the fun awkwardness of it. I like to be different

So if you love the car, get it.
Old 12-14-09, 04:00 PM
Amalan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skang5
Hello, My wife and I traded in our old 03 ES300 and got a new 2010 Starfile Lexus ES350 Base plus Heated and ventilated front seats with Additional Options. First, I love this car but everyone around me thinks I just purchased another grandma car which I truly disagree. Does anyone in this forum trade in their BMWs MBs or Infiniti's to get ES? If so, what is your age? By the way, I am turning 28 this coming January.
You shouldn't be too concerned with what other people think about your car. The way I see it, age doesn't matter its more how the car fits you and your personality. Young drivers are assumed to be more aggressive drivers, but there are alot of young drivers who don't care about speed and really love the plush luxury feel. The ES provides the latter the best in its class imo. If the car fits you and you love it then don't worry about other opinions.
Old 12-14-09, 04:04 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I had one and I'm younger than you. Young friends will go on about how granny the ES is, but let them sit in yours and they will stop.

The current ES is thoroughly modern and has a refined and restrained appeal that even young people cannot dismiss.
Old 12-14-09, 04:58 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skang5
LOL, you're NOT too young.

I bought my UL when I was 23. Sure, its not a sports car but my body gets enough abuse at the gym - dont need a harsh suspension to add to that. Driving a plush car on the way home makes me feel much beter.
Old 12-14-09, 05:10 PM
empinball
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I graduated from college in 94 all my friends were lining up to buy Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse/Dodge Stealth. I opted for practicality and the luxury/comfort of a 1994 ES300. Many people in my home town made jokes about me driving grandma's car, but I didn't care.....it was mine and it fit my needs and I wasn't being gouged on overpriced insurance for a wannabe sports car. If you like your 350, drive it and don't worry about what others think.

Quick Reply: Am I too young for this Car?