ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tire Replacement (flat)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 06:23 AM
jgimondo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Replacement (flat)

So I hit a large pothole and my tire went flat within moments. I changed the tire to the fullsize spare that came with the car, and noticed the original rim is severely dented on the inside rim. I have a few questions hopefully you folks can help me out with.

Is that old rim essentially dead or can it be repaired?
Does the new tire have whatever sensors and GPS stuff mileage stuff and whatever else, or does that all have to be reconfigured or replaced?
My other 3 tires have 43k miles of wear on them. Is it worth having the tires balanced and rotated and all that, or would I be better off just waiting 5-10k more miles and replacing all of them?
The tire pressure low warning light is still on. Does this mean the new tire has low pressure, too? If not, how do I turn off the light?

Hopefully this isn't going to be an expensive proposition right after the holidays. Anyways, thanks for your help!
Old 12-30-09, 06:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jgimondo
So I hit a large pothole and my tire went flat within moments. I changed the tire to the fullsize spare that came with the car, and noticed the original rim is severely dented on the inside rim. I have a few questions hopefully you folks can help me out with.

Is that old rim essentially dead or can it be repaired?
Does the new tire have whatever sensors and GPS stuff mileage stuff and whatever else, or does that all have to be reconfigured or replaced?
My other 3 tires have 43k miles of wear on them. Is it worth having the tires balanced and rotated and all that, or would I be better off just waiting 5-10k more miles and replacing all of them?
The tire pressure low warning light is still on. Does this mean the new tire has low pressure, too? If not, how do I turn off the light?

Hopefully this isn't going to be an expensive proposition right after the holidays. Anyways, thanks for your help!
Probably can be repaired but you can buy a refurbished/replacement rim online or on
ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...item1c0ee5b320

The air pressure monitor can be taken off the bad rim and installed on a new rim.
The getting new tires is up to you.I would.
The tire pressure light is on because the tire you took off has no air and is in the car?
The spare pressure can be low too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-30-09 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-30-09, 07:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree with Joe. With 43k on the tires, it's probably time to replace them anyway. That would be a good time to bite the bullet, get the repairs made as well as new tires and then you're good for the long term. Good luck.
Old 12-30-09, 11:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Your best option is to replace the three other tires with one that matches your new spare. The wheel repair is another story. Take it to a wheel repair shop, and ask them if it can be repaired to hold air, for use only as a spare, or maybe it can be repaired to hold air and be cosmetically acceptable to use as an alternate wheel. Only a reputable wheel shop can tell you that. My feeling is the wheel is probably out of round and may not be true, so it should be scrapped.

As far as your low pressure warning light is concerned, Lexus vehicles that come with a full size spare also come with a TPMS sensor in the spare wheel. Vehicles that come with the doughnut, like my family's cars, don't. Your light is on because the damaged wheel (with a sensor) has no air in it.

Lou