ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Continue issues with 07 ES, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 08:28 AM
Larry ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continue issues with 07 ES, what are my options?

The subject said it all but I want to know if it is a bit excessive to have that many things gone wrong with my wife’s car. And if it is then what are my options? Purchased new on 12/23/06 and took delivery on 01/01/2007 with about 41,000 miles.

The main issues are 1) TPMS warning randomly coming back over a year and 4th dealership visit so far. I no longer check the pressure since all 5 tires are always at 34PSI cold when I checked them. Warning light stays on for days, weeks and then disappears and then come back days/weeks/months later.

2) Car not starting or stalling randomly. This one again took 4 times and two different dealerships to figure out the issue with the Start/Stop button (I did get a new battery after the 3rd visit so I guess it is a consolation prize).

3) Rear AC blowing hot air and white powder from front vents. This is currently being fixed at the dealership. 5 days so far and still counting. They said the defroster no longer works after putting the car together (I guess the white powder issue requires the car be stripped down to the firewall).

And then a number of other “minor” issues: prematurely wear on the rear brakes, broken front window tabs, navigation rattling/noise. And of course some other very minor trim issues.

I know it is not a lemon by Arizona lemon law but it certainly feels like one to me. I purchased a Toyota 3 years ago based on their reputation, relatively worry free quality but I am really not impressed with my ES so far. My relatives told me their rock solid Lexus and they said something is just not right with my particular ES. My original idiotic thinking was that the last issue I have to deal with will always be the last one and it will be perfect after that and yet there is always something else after awhile.

I’d like to voice my concern with Toyota/Lexus, not just calling their 800 number to waste time talking to some Customer Service who may or may not care. I heard about Lexus rep that visit dealership regularly or contact regional manager, would the dealership be able to setup an appointment? What is your take, do I have case or I should just accept these issues as normal to every Lexus made? What would you do? Talking to the dealerships in AZ is kind of pointless (we are here to fix the issues only) as they shift everything to between Lexus and me.

Many thanks,
Larry
Old 01-19-10, 08:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Is selling the car or trading it in on something else an option?
Old 01-19-10, 09:14 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your problems.

As to your minor issues, I am pretty sure there are TSIB's for the rattles, windshield tabs, and rear brakes.

Has the dealer replaced the TPMS sensor? I believe it is located under the headliner towards the rear seat.

As to the start/stop button, you are not the first person to post that issue on this forum. It seems you got that fixed.

You got me on #3.

Since the 2010 ESs are much better than the early build 07's, which I own also, I would work with the local rep on a trade and purchase of a new one...maybe net invoice on the new unit with a fair trade? Also, just not invoice on the new one, but NET invoice....true cost.

Good luck
Old 01-19-10, 10:19 AM
Larry ES
Driver School Candidate

Thanks LexBob2 and MD350.

I won't mind trading it in only if I can get a fair deal. At this point, I don't really care if it is a brand new 2010 or a CPO 2009 ES just as long as it is something less of a maintenance nightmare.

And no, the TPMS sensor is the original. I thought they fixed the issue last time August when they identified the issue as being loss of communication between one of the sensor on the wheel with the main unit (warning light only appears after the car is running for over an hour). The rest of the times, they fill the tires with more air and reset the TPMS, not really a true fix and no one can tell me the root cause. It has become pretty standard for me (my way of owning a Lexus) to take it to one dealership to resolve one issue and switch to another dealership if the first place can’t correct it after a few times.

And yes, with the exception to the TPMS issue, everything is fixed and being fixed right now. I am just worry that while it is good to have TSIB cover the issue, it only last as long as the warranty last which is ending at the end of the year (there just seems to have way too many TSIB for the ES350 anyway). I also thought about having Lexus to issue a 7yr/100K warranty as good will. But I usually maintain my cars well and keep them 10 years or so, I am worry about the cost of maintaining this beast after the extended warranty is over...

MD350, how to you determine to true cost/net invoice? I would love to have some education on this if you don’t mind me asking.
Old 01-19-10, 07:50 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Net invoice is invoice minus holdback and any other rebates that the dealer gets from the manufacturer. Usually, it will be around 3% under published invoice, but will vary by manufacturer. It is really hard to get the true number, as it is not published. Nor are the dealer rebates.

My car has probably had 20 fixes to it since new and I did buy the extended warranty. I would not own this car without it. I highly recommend getting it.
Old 01-20-10, 04:06 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto on the Lexus Platinum warranty. You can buy the policy online from a number of dealers as your local dealer may not give you the best deal. Bought mine and good until 2013 / 100,000 miles with zero deductible.
Old 01-20-10, 04:58 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by garsarno
Ditto on the Lexus Platinum warranty. You can buy the policy online from a number of dealers as your local dealer may not give you the best deal. Bought mine and good until 2013 / 100,000 miles with zero deductible.
What is a good price that you have found for the platinum warranty?
Old 01-20-10, 09:00 AM
Larry ES
Driver School Candidate

I got a quote for $1490. That's the Lexus Platinum Program for 7 yrs / 100,000 miles w/ $0 deductible. I think that's is either the lowest or close to the lowest (within a $100 difference) that you can get.
Old 01-20-10, 12:07 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I did a google search and came up with a dealer in Louisiana. He quoted me $1,280, I printed the quote, showed it to my Local Lexus dealer, and he matched it after his initial quote of somewhere in the vicinty of $1,800 or so.
Old 01-20-10, 01:15 PM
Richard95
Rookie

I did a google search and came up with a dealer in Louisiana. He quoted me $1,280, I printed the quote, showed it to my Local Lexus dealer, and he matched it after his initial quote of somewhere in the vicinty of $1,800 or so.
Was this recent? If so would you mind giving me the dealer's name.

Thanks
Old 01-20-10, 01:25 PM
Larry ES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Richard95
Was this recent? If so would you mind giving me the dealer's name.

Thanks
I think he is referring to Toby Rivers at Lexus of Shreveport. I sent him an email asking for a quote but he is off on Webnesday. I should be hearing from him tomorrow.

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
800-335-3987
Old 01-20-10, 03:20 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

That's the guy! Did this early 10/09.
Old 01-20-10, 04:10 PM
Larry ES
Driver School Candidate

And of course the local Lexus dealership wants $2025 for the same 7 yr/100K warranty. I just said thank you and hung up...
Old 01-21-10, 02:55 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

They still practice the '80s mentality - greed is good!
Old 01-21-10, 06:30 AM
Larry ES
Driver School Candidate

They still practice the '80s mentality - greed is good!
Should come to no surprise to me since it is form this particular dealership. How wrong I was that maybe something has changed...

This is the same dealership that I first visited 3 years ago when looking to purchase the ES. The golden sale tactic I thought I won't see from a Lexus dealership. It goes like this and I am sure you experienced it before...

We really want to sell you this ES but you need to make a decision and put down a deposit right now since you see, the couple over there wants the exact same car as you. Now since you are good person and here first I am going to hold it for you but not for long. And I told him that I am sure Lexus will make more than just one of the same ES, let them have it while we worked out the price here. And how the heck he knows I am a good person, I could be Satan in disguise!

Seeing he wasn't getting anywhere when me, he called over someone else. She is even "better" than the first guy. She said we have a very competitive price in AZ so she encouraged me to call around other dealerships. After that she handed me a phone book and walked away to the other couple wanting my ES.

I called another dealership and got a price that was a couple thousands less and drove over to the other dealership the same night and wrote a check for the car. Of course, not before walking back to the saleswoman and thank her for giving me the phone book so I could get a much better price on the ES, saving thousands from the other dealership (annoucing the name of that dealership right in front of the other customers). She was speechless and while I was driving out, I saw the other couple leaving too...

Quick Reply: Continue issues with 07 ES, what are my options?