ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How interested are you in an ES hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 10:56 AM
LexFather

Question How interested are you in an ES hybrid?

There has been speculation on it of course but it isn't here. An older thread here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...to-the-es.html

My lady and I are car shopping and we like the looks, feel of the IS but its cramped. We like the MPG of the HS but not a fan of the looks. We both love the looks of the ES and she can live with it not driving like an IS. However I have to say I am very impressed with the Lexus hybrid technology and for a DD don't see myself buying a non-hybrid again.

We both really would love an ES hybrid, even if it lost some trunk room. This is not to say the ES gets bad MPG, it gets very good MPG. We like the additional benefits of hybrid ownership. We also would not object to an ES getting 35 MPG. The HS does 0-60 in 8.1 seconds, fast enough for around town and like an older ES in acceleration.

I know Lexus has said all vehicles will offer a hybrid but we wish the ES was one now.

How interested are YOU in an ES hybrid?
Old 01-21-10, 11:33 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Having had 4 ES's I'm afraid I have almost no interest in an ES Hybrid. I'll leave that to the HS. Most hybrids seem way to pricey with unknown longevity and resale at this point.

Dave Mac
Old 01-21-10, 03:10 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No interest in any hybrid at all.
I'd like a AWD ES,though.
Old 01-21-10, 06:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Not really all that interested in a Hybrid ES personally...my 05 ES get's in the high 20's in MPG regularly & not willing to pay a hefty premium for the technology yet (and only gain several MPG's in the process)...but an ES with AWD? You betcha!

I drove the new HS..was impressed with the acceleration, handling was so so, the looks were Corolla like & the fit & finish (especially some interior bits) were below par from what I would expect from Lexus..overall & for the price...I was left wanting more. I wouldn't buy it in it's first year of production either.
Old 01-21-10, 06:39 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all, If the ES owners would like a hybrid option, I think the Camry would be close enough.

I just wouldn't pay the extra price to get the ES hybrid, now the gs450h is a different story of course. Its a lot more marketable.
Old 01-22-10, 03:41 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AWD ES350 - yes. Hybrid ES350 - no. ES460 - oh yes! ES460 AWD - sign me up!
Old 01-22-10, 05:17 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The ES gets remarkable fuel economy for its size. That's one of its best features, but I would be very interested in a hybrid ES if I could get mid 30's mpg in the city. I drove an HS prior to purchasing my 2010. I wasn't crazy about either the interior or exterior styling and I thought the ride was harder than it should be.

Yes, Lexus, bring an ES hybrid to market please.
Old 01-22-10, 05:51 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Realistically, you have to put the batteries somewhere. A hybrid RX raises the trunk floor of a non-hybrid RX to stow the batteries. Look at the trunk in the hybrid GS to see what might be left of a trunk in a hybrid ES.
Old 01-22-10, 10:28 AM
JC07ES350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joeb427
No interest in any hybrid at all.
I'd like a AWD ES,though.
Plus 1 on a AWD es350.
Old 01-22-10, 11:22 AM
LexFather

Hmm, I see some AWD requests..

Originally Posted by bob2200
Realistically, you have to put the batteries somewhere. A hybrid RX raises the trunk floor of a non-hybrid RX to stow the batteries. Look at the trunk in the hybrid GS to see what might be left of a trunk in a hybrid ES.
The GS is smaller than the ES and the ES trunk is much larger than a non hybrid GS. With the battery/motor tech getting smaller the ES might lose some trunk room but still be decent.

My 07 450h has a 7.5 or so cube trunk but the 2009 model got a 10 cube trunk. A regular GS has a 13 cube trunk
Old 01-22-10, 01:15 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

No interest in a hybrid.

Oh, and a big yes to an AWD version
Old 01-22-10, 07:12 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose the ES over the GS in the past because of the great features of the large interior and large trunk, not to mention excellent mileage for that size, so if the hybrid slash those features away, i wouldn't choose an ES at all. I would think that more power or an AWD would be a seller. How's the GS460h rank in sale and appreciation ?
Old 01-26-10, 06:53 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Default Hybrid Savings?

I'm all for saving the environment and all, but frankly, the only reason to get a hybrid for me (other than gaining access to HOV lanes) is to save money. If I want to save the envirnment, I could provide a far greater impact by carpooling or biking a few days a month.... And if I'm concerned about what greenies "think of me" for driving one car over another, then I probably would not be driving a Lexus in the first place.

18 months ago we COMPLETELY priced out a Camry Hybrid vs a regular Camry and the hybrid was not much of a savings overall. I think at the time the hybrid was like $6500 more over a comparable Camry. We drove like 30k a year or so on 75% highway, as I recall. Certainly prior to 130k mi or so, you were in the red on the hybrid. and of course at 160k mi you needed a new battery which was like $2500 or somesuch.

All in all, you needed to drive a LOT of miles to break even and then start saving a bit. And this was when gas was over $4 a gallon. With gas down below $3, I bet the average buyer now actually pays more for a hybrid.

I'm sure a Prius vs an FJ offers a big savings, but to just "add" hybrid technology to an already decent mileage car is likely of marginal or no benefit for most buyers.
Old 01-27-10, 02:04 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately the ES is too big of a car to benefit from current hybrid technology. Perhaps 10-20 years from now the story will be different. The Camry hybrid doesn't get that much better mileage as MonAndrew7 pointed out. You'll have to settle for a small car like the Prius to save any money.
Old 01-28-10, 04:52 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by overclock
Unfortunately the ES is too big of a car to benefit from current hybrid technology. Perhaps 10-20 years from now the story will be different. The Camry hybrid doesn't get that much better mileage as MonAndrew7 pointed out. You'll have to settle for a small car like the Prius to save any money.
I believe the Ford Fusion Hybrid is at least as large as an ES and gets much better fuel economy than the non-hybrid model. It can be done.

Quick Reply: How interested are you in an ES hybrid?