ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Sudden Acceleration - Latest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 05:57 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Sudden Acceleration - Latest?

Ok, enough of the floor mat crap that has been out there. Toyota has a serious problem and previously a recall on 07 ES350's was announced. How can i find out if my car is affected, or is it all 07 ES350's. We bought the car in Oct. 09. Certified Used. They didn't mention Cetified Potentially Deadly. Wish we'd stuck with the Acura TSX we were looking at.
But we can't afford to take a beating on this car and can only hope and pray it doesn't kill us both.
Old 01-26-10, 05:58 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need an answer too.. Please let us know asap.
Let the truth be told.
Old 01-26-10, 06:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The floor mat was and is a legitimate issue. The CA Sheriff's report on the tragic accident last year found that a previous driver of the exact same ES 350 loaner also experienced the sudden acceleration, switched to neutral, and tugged on the floor mat, which ended the problem. He told the dealer receptionist that the floor mat jammed the accelerator, but when the sheriff questioned her, she said she did not remember such a warning (she recanted that when questioned a second time, claiming that she told a dealer tech, who himself denied being told anything).

The CA Sheriff also was able to replicate the sudden acceleration, by putting in the same RX 400h floor mat in another ES 350, and it also jammed the accelerator.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...h-had-earlier/

In response, ALL of the all-weather floor mats have been recalled. But this accident highlighted additional issues:

A) The lack of a brake override system, which some other makes have;

B) The NHTSA's findings of a flawed pedal design (too easy to get stuck).

So, the recall was announced. This applies to ALL '07 to '09 ES 350s. As part of this recall:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ry-102574.aspx

1) The accelerator pedal of each recalled ES 350 will be shortened at the dealership, with the padding at the back of the pedal also removed. This will increase the clearance between the pedal and the floor

2) Any all-weather floor mats in the ES 350 will be removed and confiscated

Additionally, by later this year:

1) All ES 350s will receive a software update--the brake override system. If the accelerator and brake are pressed at the same time, the car will obey the brake inputs and stop, and ignore the accelerator.

2) All ES 350s will receive a brand new pedal, to replace the trimmed down one.

There have been reports claiming drive-by-wire is to blame, but those claims have no direct evidence. Additionally, drivers are advised that should unintended acceleration occur, they can also switch to neutral; as a last resort, they can hold the push button for 3 seconds which will stop the running engine while in motion.
Old 01-26-10, 06:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by raviola4
Ok, enough of the floor mat crap that has been out there. Toyota has a serious problem and previously a recall on 07 ES350's was announced. How can i find out if my car is affected, or is it all 07 ES350's. We bought the car in Oct. 09. Certified Used. They didn't mention Cetified Potentially Deadly. Wish we'd stuck with the Acura TSX we were looking at.
But we can't afford to take a beating on this car and can only hope and pray it doesn't kill us both.
If it's available with a CPO, you can go to the Lexus website and login by clicking on "owners" at the bottom of the home page. You set up your VIN # and some other info on the car and it will show if the car is effected by any recalls or service campaigns. This works for new car purchases/leases, and it might for CPO's too. It's worth a shot.
Old 01-26-10, 07:21 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read in Automotive News today that the newest Toyota recall effects only Toyota models (not Lexus) and the 09-10 Pontiac Vibe. It also effects cars built in North America only. The ES is built in Japan.

I have only confirmed this North American build trigger with Automotive News, and don't see it anywhere else. But, it makes sense as to why Lexus was not included in the Toyota recall...Lexus is built in Japan.
Old 01-26-10, 08:36 PM
Driver School Candidate

So.. when can we expect the replacements
So.. no computer problem?
Old 01-26-10, 11:46 PM
topgun04
Driver

Default Check out this leftlane article...

"There have been reports claiming drive-by-wire is to blame, but those claims have no direct evidence."

This does not pass the smell test. Toyota announced today that they will stop product of 12 models for at least one week (and may be longer). It will cost the company a lot of money. It can't be the wrong carpet from a different car that cause the problem (how many folk with a camry have a RX carpet??) that force Toyota to stop production. There is clearly some kind of design fault involved and it is serious enough that they cannot build or sell those car because they are too dangerous. Check out this leftlane article and make up your own mind.. If the incidents cited in the article is true.. I think more than likely they have a computer problem... And the incident in Dallas rule out carpet as a problem ... I had seven lexus (2 LS400, 1 LS430, 1 SC430, 1GS400, 1 RX300, and currently own a LS460) and I am very disappointed with this problem and how Toyota handle the recall..

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-a...floor-mat.html

The driver was able to reach the dealer, place the vehicle into neutral, and allow it to continue operating at wide open throttle. The dealer sent out a tech who verified that the floor mat was removed, and pushing the gas pedal had no effect on the acceleration. The dealer was unable to stop the wide open throttle and was forced to shut the vehicle off.

The Safety Record also reported on a one-car crash that occurred in Dallas, Texas the day after Christmas involving a Toyota Avalon. According to the accident report, the vehicle inexplicably left the road and ended up crashing through a fence, and landing upside down in a pond – killing all four occupants. The floor mats were found in the trunk of the car – ruling out the possibility of the floor mat causing the accident.
Old 01-27-10, 12:29 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topgun04
Toyota announced today that they will stop product of 12 models for at least one week (and may be longer). It will cost the company a lot of money. It can't be the wrong carpet from a different car that cause the problem (how many folk with a camry have a RX carpet??) that force Toyota to stop production. There is clearly some kind of design fault involved and it is serious enough that they cannot build or sell those car because they are too dangerous.
Of course it is not only the floor mat. The stoppage of sales for the Toyota models involves a defective part on N. American-made vehicles: pedal assemblies made by a Toyota supplier, CTS, have been found to have premature wear, which causes them to respond slowly, or in worse case, jam. (link) These pedals are not in the ES 350.

Will there be another shoe to drop? It's possible. There could be a computer glitch of some kind. However, the Audi unintended acceleration cases in the 1980s serves as an example of where the media jumped on defective electronics, when something more mundane like a flawed pedal design was (in part) to blame. And some recent press reports have quoted anti-drive-by-wire advocates (who would also see the end of stability control, lane keep assist, and other driver aids). It's an easily thought of and scary concept--the computers making the car go out of control. But there needs to be reliably produced evidence and impartial expert evaluation and investigation to substantiate this. So far, the NHTSA findings have pointed to the more mundane flawed pedal/footwell design (for all recalled Lexus and Toyota models) and a CTS pedal part (for all N American Toyota recalled models) as the key issue.

A mechanical defect--which should be taken no less seriously, because a jammed accelerator can indeed be very dangerous. And given that there is clear evidence in this regard, that is why the recall and the sales halt absolutely MUST occur. If Toyota did not stop sales after the defective part was disclosed, the public absolutely would be justified to DEMAND it. Their safety is on the line.

Now there is also a snowball effect where each accident is being scrutinized. There is another point that Toyota is afraid to make, and Audi did to their detriment, which was to point out that a significant portion of sudden acceleration crashes are due to driver error. (link) Some of the recently publicized incidents may indeed be driver error. But not all...

...the evidence and investigation shows that there are design flaws and defective pedals in N. American Toyota vehicles. The 2007-2009 ES 350 and IS 250/350 also have a flawed pedal/footwell design (but do not have the defective CTS pedals themselves). For the recent Avalon crash, investigators are probably going to look at the wear patterns on the CTS pedals, along with the black box data to see if there were any additional abnormalities. There is also the puzzling case of the dealer documented case of the Avalon engine surging, whether that was also a defective pedal or something else remains unclear, and there definitely needs to be further investigation.

However, at minimum, the installation of the brake override system should give drivers an extra measure of security, in addition to driver education on steady brake application and switching to neutral in the event of unusual acceleration. But let's be clear, on the main topic--the ES 350 and unintended acceleration: the latest is that 2 recall events are occurring, an initial pedal reshape and then the override. The sales halt for Toyota vehicles is due to a defective pedal which Lexus models do not have.

Last edited by encore888; 01-27-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 01-27-10, 04:54 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but I am only seeing 2 examples of a Lexus stuck gas pedals? Lexus only here, not Toyota, not Avalon etc.! Both the Lexus examples were replicated or seemed to be floormat related.

I just examined my own 2010 ES350 with factory standard carpeted mats. I can make the gas pedal stick down and stay down by simply unhooking the mat and shoving it forward and partially over the pedal. The pedal does stick down! The stiffness of the mat is allowing it to do this.

So keep your mats hooked! I went to the carwash and a couple days later went to get something off the floor. The mats were totally un-hooked! Got to check everyone now a days!
Old 01-27-10, 05:13 AM
tnedator
Driver

Is the software update to prevent WOT when the brake is being pressed a confirmed upgrade, or are people just speculating they will do it?
Old 01-27-10, 05:51 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone think to call their dealer.
Old 01-27-10, 06:42 AM
Richard95
Rookie

Originally Posted by topgun04
"There have been reports claiming drive-by-wire is to blame, but those claims have no direct evidence."

This does not pass the smell test. Toyota announced today that they will stop product of 12 models for at least one week (and may be longer). It will cost the company a lot of money. It can't be the wrong carpet from a different car that cause the problem (how many folk with a camry have a RX carpet??) that force Toyota to stop production. There is clearly some kind of design fault involved and it is serious enough that they cannot build or sell those car because they are too dangerous. Check out this leftlane article and make up your own mind.. If the incidents cited in the article is true.. I think more than likely they have a computer problem... And the incident in Dallas rule out carpet as a problem ... I had seven lexus (2 LS400, 1 LS430, 1 SC430, 1GS400, 1 RX300, and currently own a LS460) and I am very disappointed with this problem and how Toyota handle the recall..

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-a...floor-mat.html

The driver was able to reach the dealer, place the vehicle into neutral, and allow it to continue operating at wide open throttle. The dealer sent out a tech who verified that the floor mat was removed, and pushing the gas pedal had no effect on the acceleration. The dealer was unable to stop the wide open throttle and was forced to shut the vehicle off.

The Safety Record also reported on a one-car crash that occurred in Dallas, Texas the day after Christmas involving a Toyota Avalon. According to the accident report, the vehicle inexplicably left the road and ended up crashing through a fence, and landing upside down in a pond – killing all four occupants. The floor mats were found in the trunk of the car – ruling out the possibility of the floor mat causing the accident.
It isn't the carpet. Read the recall and the sale stoppage.
Old 01-27-10, 06:46 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

I'm wondering about this too after reading this article (please read the whole thing!)..

http://www.sandiego6.com/mostpopular...uxTtxrK4Q.cspx

Based on this, I am wondering if the previous generation (2002 - 2006) ES 300's & 330's are also effected by either the floor mat issue or the accelerator....or both?
Old 01-27-10, 07:13 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Computer reprogram ?

Some great feedback folks. I sent a separate e-mail to my sales agent who just called back. He indicated a computer reprogram available and will check further if they can schedule my car in. Don't have the problem or haven't seen, but i need to reassure my wife since she's main driver (and currently concerned based on all the negative press).

He reiterated latest Toyota recall all US mfg. auto's due to US sourced item(s) which doesn't bode well for US. I have an 06 Rav but built in Japan so not affected by any of this. The 07 ES though Japan and could be affected but most likely not (but tell that to my wife).

The examples of sudden acceleration posted here and on the news are very serious issues. And of course if you research sudden acceleration with other manufacturers you'll see Toyota not alone (atlhough with all of this they now lead the list).

I'll let everyone know if/when i can take my ES in for this computer "tweeking". Mats are not an issue. Cut away in the area of pedal so no chance of getting stuck (unless of course one place on the other and allowed to slide forward. But that would is driver error if that's the case.

Again, thanks for great feedback and i'll update when i hear more etc.
Old 01-27-10, 07:30 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought they stopped selling Toyota's, not Lexus's. Is this right?

Quick Reply: Sudden Acceleration - Latest?