ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Seat Belt Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 01:47 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat Belt Buzzer

I don't mind the reminder buzzer to connect my seat belt but the reminder when it motion is very irritating (and loud). Today, at the 1,000 mile check, I asked the dealer to deactivate the in-motion portion of the seat belt reminder. He refused, saying it is a safety feature and he is not allowed to do that. I think that is a load of BS, but anybody out there know how to deactivate the thing? I guess I would need detailed instructions because I don't even know where it is. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-30-10, 03:27 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You are right that is BS - there is a requirement for seatbelts and with good sense you will wear them but the warning buzzer is not a requirement. I had the buzzer on my 2007 disabled at Scottsdale Lexus and on my 2010 ES at Chandler Lexus. It requires the special tool or laptop but only takes a few minutes. The nav manual makes some reference to disabling the buzzer I think but that didn't work and I had the dealer do it at 80 miles. Your owner's manual even makes reference to disabling it. The warning light continues to function and that is fine with me as I am a big seat belt believer anyway, I just thought the buzzer was really irritaing.

Dave Mac
Old 01-30-10, 03:48 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. It was Chandler Lexus that said they could not do it. Do you remember who you talked to that I may ask him/her? Danny Morales was the person who told me no.
Old 01-30-10, 05:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I wonder if Toyota/lexus dealers might be a little gun shy right now when it comes to safety issues? Not sure, just a thought.
Old 01-30-10, 07:16 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I believe I was dealing with Robert LeFrance or you can just speak to the Service Manager, Jeff Stienecker.

LexBob2 is probably right about everyone being a little gun shy right now but this is something they should do for you. I think they do it on a regular basis and as I said the warning light still works as a reminder and I think it may beep once or something when you first start the car but if you remove it to pick up the mail or something it doesn't start the beeping. I had to go up a couple of levels to get it done the first time in 2007 but no problem on my 2010. And again I think it is mentioned in your owner's manual.

Good Luck.

Dave Mac
Old 01-31-10, 07:39 AM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Dave Mac. But if it is in the manuals, I cannot find it. The manual does talk about the buzzer but nothing to disable it. I checked the fuse guide looking for a fuse that could be removed to disable the buzzer, but whatever fuse drives it is not so labeled.

I will call the service manager on Monday. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-10, 07:59 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C177 Pilot
Thanks, Dave Mac. But if it is in the manuals, I cannot find it. The manual does talk about the buzzer but nothing to disable it. I checked the fuse guide looking for a fuse that could be removed to disable the buzzer, but whatever fuse drives it is not so labeled.

I will call the service manager on Monday. Thanks again.
Let us know what you find out. Definitely annoying.
Old 01-31-10, 07:26 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Ed: It is briefly mentioned on page 515 or the owner's manual re. customizations and the seat belt buzzer and page 518 of the navigation manual says that it is a setting that can be changed by the owner using the navigation screen but I was unable to do that on my car and assume a change was made after the manual went to print or something.

The 2007 manual mentioned it as being a changeable setting in a discussion or seat belt warnings I believe.

My work order for the change simply says "disable seat belt buzzer".

Dave Mac
Old 01-31-10, 07:29 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

I wouldn't even look into removing a fuse or unplugging something on this car. I've done that to many cars without a problem but this Lexus is to tightly integrated for something like that to work. Stay on the dealer - they can get it done for you.

Dave Mac
Old 02-01-10, 01:25 PM
C177 Pilot
Driver School Candidate

For Dave Mac:
Spoke today with Jeff Stienecker, Service Manager. He said Chandler Lexus could not disable the seat belt buzzer because of safety liability. I pointed out to him that on page 515 of the owners manual, it says that turning the buzzer off is part of the normal 'customization' of the new Lexus. He was unaware of that statement in the manual and said the programming instructions they use do not show this process. So he is saying he does not know how to disable it.

I told him that one blogger has done exactly that at his dealership so someone knows how. He said to bring it in and he will see what he can do. Do you have any idea how the mechanic on your car disabled the buzzer?
Old 02-01-10, 02:23 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Yes, refer Jeff to his shop forman Dave Cadwell or a senior tech, Laryn, both can do it and are excellent technicians for any services you might need on your car. I forget which one did it on my car but I watched from the waiting room and it was only minutes while the service adviser just stood by.

Dave Mac
Old 02-01-10, 06:52 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't there some sort of Panda Dance that you can do in your driveway to turn this off? I thought someone linked it here a couple of weeks ago.

Edit: Found it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-buzz-off.html
But I see where the OP posted that it didn't work in his car. Bummer.
Old 02-02-10, 08:45 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

I found another thread where people say it's DIY on RX.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...elt-chime.html

Why it does not work on ES then? Surely did not work for me.
Will try again with these RX instructions - they seem a little different from IS.
Old 02-03-10, 07:55 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Amazingly touching video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM
Old 02-03-10, 08:09 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
Very touching indeed. Always wear seatbelt without a doubt! My annoyance with the sound is right before I put it on while still in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Buzzer