ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gas Pedal Shaving

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 06:36 PM
beagle77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HATE the modified pedal/floor

Just drove home after picking up the car. Dealership is two hours away so while they did fill the tank it doesn't exactly make the trip worth it.

I hate what they have done to the pedal it its chopped at the corners and very sharp the bottom of my shoe actually stick's too it. And they modified the floor so now there is a big bump then dip under the pedal; I will have to find a new place to rest my foot when using cruise.

It seems I am the only one bothered by the modified pedal on the board as near as I can tell. Is the new pedal hooking on the soles of anyone else's shoes or maybe they just did a sub-par job with mine?

Last edited by beagle77; 02-08-10 at 06:36 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-08-10, 06:47 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^Pict?

Lou
Old 02-08-10, 06:52 PM
beagle77
Driver School Candidate

I will go take a couple then try and figure out how to post
Old 02-08-10, 07:10 PM
beagle77
Driver School Candidate

pics of the pedals attached, let me know if you can see them
Attached Thumbnails Gas Pedal Shaving-pedal-1.jpg   Gas Pedal Shaving-pedal-2a.jpg   Gas Pedal Shaving-pedal-3a.jpg  
Old 02-08-10, 07:14 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The top of your floor carpet behind the pedal looks like its been cut away and doesn't look properly finished. Is that normal?

Also the pedal reshaping looks sames as pics I saw on Jalopnik.

However my dealer told me they actually have recieved the new pedals so shaving isn't necessary.

I am holding off on the recall though, I am concerned with what is going on with the floor underneath the pedal. I am inclined to leave it as is, since there is no real problem with the original design. Problem only arises if a moron puts a missized mat on top of the carpet one.
Old 02-08-10, 07:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Beagle's experience is interesting. Since there is nothing wrong with the original design, it may be the case that the fix creates more problems than it solves!
Old 02-08-10, 07:17 PM
beagle77
Driver School Candidate

yea I am pretty upset about what they did with the floor. I have small feet and now it is really uncomfortable to drive the car where as before they modified it was great. Really regret getting this done to my car.
Old 02-08-10, 07:46 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

You should make them reverse it. Also you should ask them to put new carpet trim, because the way it looks torn in the corner is terrible.

If dealer refuses call Lexus.
Old 02-08-10, 08:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Sorry, but that really looks terrible Lexus can't be serious with this "fix" This has to affect functionality. I would never have bought a car with a gas pedal like that. Again - Lexus - You have got to be kidding

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-08-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 11:09 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like the software upgrade, but really don't want the pedal shaving or removing of the padding beneath the carpet. There is plenty of clearance with the original carpet floor mat.

Has anyone gotten their dealer to do JUST the software upgrade?
Old 02-09-10, 05:26 AM
beagle77
Driver School Candidate

The dealer is being quite responsive although they leave out mentioning anything about my pedal. I can't fault them to much for their effort but a key reason in getting the Lexus over the BMW was that it would be bullet proof and I would not have to deal with going to the shop all the time. Also quite and comfortable won out over speeding tickets and driving excitement. If they had taken the time to do a few cold starts in the first place and verified that the transmission fluid level is correct it would be a non-issue as they would have put their best effort in.

My wife is driving the car this morning and if the pedal issues don't bug her we are just going to switch cars.

"Good Morning Mr. beagle77,

I wanted to check with you to see if you wanted us to pickup your vehicle on a Monday, drop off a loaner vehicle so that we can have the vehicle early in the week to do some cold starts on it to recheck the transmission issue. I could also do a Tuesday as well if Mondays dont work well with your schedule.

Please let me know"
Old 02-09-10, 01:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kreativ
I would like the software upgrade, but really don't want the pedal shaving or removing of the padding beneath the carpet. There is plenty of clearance with the original carpet floor mat.

Has anyone gotten their dealer to do JUST the software upgrade?
I have an appt. Monday morning only for the software upgrade.
My SA tried to talk me into the pedal and carpet work but I said I have the new design all weather mats hooked to the mat retention hooks and don't want the carpet and pedal fix.He said ok.
Old 02-09-10, 03:20 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

While it's really difficult to clearly see in your photos. It sure looks like the DID NOT completely follow the instruction... If you go back and to my previous post (#25) where I posted the service bulletin, then go to page 8 of the instructions, (not the explanation), your pedal, especially the back side with the sharper edge, does not appear to correspond to the revisions. I'd go back. It also looks like some got lazy and cut the carpet. That's not correct either.

I have to agree with other posters. I would not have this done if this is the solution. Now, looks like the it's time to do an upgrade to aluminum pedals.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-12-10 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling error corrected.
Old 02-09-10, 03:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A brand-new pedal is supposed to be available later this year, and will be available for all owners affected by the recall, that's the option I would take, especially given the aesthetic and functional complaints evidenced here.
Old 02-09-10, 03:30 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Personally I like this look better than the OEM stuff anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Pedal Shaving-sport-pedals.jpg  

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Shaving