ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gas Pedal Shaving

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 08:24 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by outbid81
Now, I know I wasn't there, but you people who are claiming that cars were accelerating out of control and the brakes were ineffective are off your rocker. Brakes will overpower the engine every time. Car and Driver did a test with an ES, an Infinity, and a 500hp Mustang. The results they came up with might keep some of you from opening your yapper. Next, to the "your carpet was cut" people; pull your head out of your a$$! That's the way it is on every car! The carpet ends about 4.75 inches above the top of a tethered floormat. Until now you never had a reason to look up there. And why would you need a replacement pedal if it was modified correctly? 99% of people would have no idea anything was done if they weren't told about it. It's because of people like you kids can't play games like dodgeball is school anymore.
Outbid --I could'nt agree more...as I stated in another thread all I see is people whinning for pity stuff....the gas pedal is a non-issue imo and these people are just hanging on to all media hype. Most of Forum memebers have owned more than one Lexus/Toyota vehicle over the yrs. The Reason ?---because they are very reliable, well built vehicles when it comes to Industry Standards...nothing has changed.

Enjoy the Ride....and overcome the occasional bump in the rd...they are eveywhere.
Old 02-24-10, 08:35 AM
racingt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outbid81
Now, I know I wasn't there, but you people who are claiming that cars were accelerating out of control and the brakes were ineffective are off your rocker. Brakes will overpower the engine every time. Car and Driver did a test with an ES, an Infinity, and a 500hp Mustang. The results they came up with might keep some of you from opening your yapper. Next, to the "your carpet was cut" people; pull your head out of your a$$! That's the way it is on every car! The carpet ends about 4.75 inches above the top of a tethered floormat. Until now you never had a reason to look up there. And why would you need a replacement pedal if it was modified correctly? 99% of people would have no idea anything was done if they weren't told about it. It's because of people like you kids can't play games like dodgeball is school anymore.
I'm not sure where you're coming from but a year ago I had a Lexus loaner ES350 and they had the standard floor mats flipped upside down with the cellophane cover on the bottom side still place, they did to this to save money so us loaner folds would not wear out their floormats. Needless to say they were not clipped in. Also, in that position, the accelerator pedal cutout is not orientated to the accelerator pedal any more. Two brake applications after I got the vehicle and the floormat moved and became wedged between the bottom of the brake pedal and the top of the gas pedal - pressing down on the brakes caused the mat to press on the accelerator pedal - thus I had unintended acceleration. However, maybe due to my nature of being a pilot and engineer I did note before driving of the floormat installed incorrectly, and when the acceleration episode happened I let off the brake, grabbed the mat with my hand and pulled it back towards me. All this only happened in a manner of a few seconds - when I stopped I chucked the mat in the back seat. At that time I though they installed incorrectly by accident this one day.

3 mos. later I got another loaner ES350 from the same dealer, standard mats were installed upside down again, I chucked the drivers side mat in the back seat and drove off - cursing the cheap *** dealers for not wanting their floormats dirtied yet putting me in danger.

Later, when the San Diego ES350 crash occurred I knew what happened right away, the dealer installed the mats upside down. However, I was surprised the 'experienced' driver did not go to neutral or lift off the brake pedal to pull the mat down - maybe with three other people aboard the car he never took note of the mat as you usually are distracted by dealing with your occupants.

As I pilot, I never want unsecured objects rolling around in my footwell while operating an aircraft- same goes for my car. Shame on me for letting it happen to me the first time with the loaner and shame on the dealers for being cheap in the first place.

When I had the ECU reprogramming for the brake override done I noticed my ES350 loaners floormat were tie-wrapped in place to the seat frame rails - the mats were not going anywhere! lol

BTW, my '87 Mustang also had issues with the floormat moving and interfering with the pedals, the mat lasted one hour in that car before being tossed.

Would the brake override feature have helped in these instances if installed originally?
Old 02-24-10, 12:57 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Go look at the following post re the ECU reprograming test.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5257673-post25.html
Old 02-25-10, 06:32 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by CJS57
There is no way I will let any Lexus tech near my pedals or carpets! I have worked in too many Corporations! Usually the top brass think their plan is being explained and the techs are being trained. In reality the service manager says something like "cut an inch off the pedal and dig some jute out and cut the floor mat some too".
I will go to a dealer, see what they are doing to the cars and do it myself if I think it is necessary, I will also do my pwn "floormat over the pedal" test and see if their "fix" works on their cars.
As far a computer programing, I can shift to neutral and press the off button for 3 seconds.
If I thought that this recall was really necessary I would take my car in, but I probably will not. Your concerns express the reason why I do not want to take my car in for this issue or any service of any sort if I can help it. I'm concerned that they will do more harm than good. I currently have over 23K trouble free miles on my car, and I attribute some of that successs to DIY maintenance and keeping it away from the steelership.
Old 02-26-10, 07:00 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Akachan LS,

What if someone else, who is less experienced than you, was driving your car? The ECU reprogramming could save their life or someones else's and maybe you from a lawsuit.
Old 02-26-10, 01:01 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by jerfitz
Akachan LS,

What if someone else, who is less experienced than you, was driving your car? The ECU reprogramming could save their life or someones else's and maybe you from a lawsuit.
Good point. I've been thinking about this very same thing. I may just have the ECU reprogramming done.
Old 07-01-10, 09:25 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the new pedal been released yet? The video earlier in this thread said "available April 2010," but the service advisor at my local Lexus dealer today said the pedal shaving would be the sole remedy. He also said it was an all-or-none thing, and that I couldn't get just the ECU reprogramming.
Old 07-02-10, 08:20 AM
ThePhantom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kreativ
Has the new pedal been released yet? The video earlier in this thread said "available April 2010," but the service advisor at my local Lexus dealer today said the pedal shaving would be the sole remedy. He also said it was an all-or-none thing, and that I couldn't get just the ECU reprogramming.
I had a new pedal installed this past Monday. It required the dealer to order one in anticipation of my appointment...
Old 07-02-10, 08:44 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThePhantom
I had a new pedal installed this past Monday. It required the dealer to order one in anticipation of my appointment...
Thanks. Does your service invoice happen to have the part # for the new pedal?
Old 07-06-10, 09:29 AM
ThePhantom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kreativ
Thanks. Does your service invoice happen to have the part # for the new pedal?
Why, yes it does It's 04009-51233.

The scary part is that a quick Google seach shows that it's a $40 part. Why on earth is Lexus tooling around with taking lopping shears and a grinder to the pedal to avoid replacing a $40 part? I can't imagine that, considering labor, they are saving any money. In addition, they threaten customer satisfaction with each pedal they hack up -- whether the customer is vocal about it or not.

Short-sighted, considering a brand that depends on long-term repeat business...