ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Tipping service advisor

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 10:35 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tipping service advisor

I've had some other brand luxury vehicles in the past and usually gave a tip to my service advisor. I have my ES350 in for it's first service and was just wondering what other Lexus owners do in regards to tipping.
Yes/No...any benefit to doing so or not in in regards to level of service given? Is it common for them to receive a tip?

I would expect all customers should be treated the same and service advisors not expecting a tip.
Old 02-08-10, 10:46 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as Lexus service costs I couldn't imagine tipping the service advisor. Perhaps the mechanic since he did all the work.

You know times are tough when you see a tip jar at your SA's desk!
Old 02-08-10, 10:59 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think they expect or should be expecting a tip. I find even the idea of it odd.
My vague and nebulous understanding of when to tip:
When the service is done on you or for you, then it is appropriate to tip.
Examples: if they cut your hair, bring you food, carry your luggage, check your coat - then tip.
If they fix your car, paint your house, teach your children - no service to you personally, no tip.
Or look at it differently - if you feel pity for the guy - then definitely tip.

I look at the service adviser as equal to me, and he works on my car, not toenails, therefore no tip.
Old 02-08-10, 11:57 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't imagine tipping a service advisor and if he/she were to accept it they should be fired. Just my thoughts.

Dave Mac
Old 02-08-10, 01:21 PM
RichardNJ
Rookie

I believe for the most part I do agree with you all. I've had Acura and BMW's before and on certain occasions have given the service advisor a tip, if having more service work done on my car, etc., and just felt the guy did a little more. Interesting responses here though, actually at my local Acura and BMW dealers it does seem like several people tip.

Maybe will try saving some money now here with my Lexus though and ignore the "tip jar". lol
After all, with the mess they got going on...Lexus/Toyota should be kissing our asses tip or not.
Old 02-08-10, 01:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I don't tip ours cause he's an ***. Every time i bring in my car he tells me why do you want to keep putting money into this old car, buy a new lexus. Besides him everyone is really nice
Old 02-08-10, 02:36 PM
Richard95
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I can't imagine tipping a service advisor and if he/she were to accept it they should be fired. Just my thoughts.

Dave Mac
I completely agree with you.
Old 02-08-10, 04:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

usually if u do, u get pushed in front of the waiting line or u get high priority status for your car to be worked on.

but at the dealership im working at (Mercedes Benz) your suppose to decline a tip TWICE..but i dont know if that appliers to SA's.
Old 02-08-10, 05:12 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

I am new to the world of Lexus. My wife and I got two CPO cars a little over a week ago. Hers had to go in for a couple minor things and this weekend, we brought it in for a free wash. I know the service writers that come out to the service lanes, they stand there like a bellhop waiting for the tip. But, for the free wash, vacuum etc, a tip is a small price to pay considering what car washes charge.
Old 02-09-10, 06:34 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

They are not performing a service TO you but are doing a paid service. I would not believe that Lexus would allow this.
Old 02-09-10, 07:00 AM
Richard95
Rookie

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
I am new to the world of Lexus. My wife and I got two CPO cars a little over a week ago. Hers had to go in for a couple minor things and this weekend, we brought it in for a free wash. I know the service writers that come out to the service lanes, they stand there like a bellhop waiting for the tip. But, for the free wash, vacuum etc, a tip is a small price to pay considering what car washes charge.
A car wash is automatic at my dealer when you bring the car in for service. In fact when I took my car in last week for the 1000 mile they filled up my tank because of the recall.
Old 02-09-10, 07:29 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Richard95
A car wash is automatic at my dealer when you bring the car in for service. In fact when I took my car in last week for the 1000 mile they filled up my tank because of the recall.
I picked my car up last night from the 1000 mile service and pedal recall. The pedal shaving was nicely done I must say...I was concerned before hand. Also very nice wash, vacuum and tire shine...just in time for tonights snow storm. And they filled the tank, which was very nice since I brought it in with 1/4 tank of gas. Had a brand new loaner ES for the day.

All in all, pleasant first service visit. Did just give the old guy a couple bucks that went and got my car and drove it around for me.
Old 02-09-10, 04:46 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have given a tip to only one service advisor. He worked at the Acura dealer near us where we bought the car, he was always very nice and went the extra mile. He really out did himself, when we brought our theft recovered Legend into the dealership to get fixed. He worked with us and our insurance company to get our car right. It took a while to get it right, but he kept at it, until it was as good as new.
Old 02-12-10, 11:18 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Talking Tip?

Here's my tip for the day...........DON"T TIP HIM/HER. Are you kidding me?
Old 02-12-10, 02:48 PM
hughh
Pole Position

The ONLY tip expected at a Lexus dealership is our rating of "EXCELLENT" and nothing short of "excellent" will do. That means bonus money!

Same with BMW, Acura and some others.

Quick Reply: Tipping service advisor