ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Well . . . bad bad news

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 08:28 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks, at least youu are ok. looks totaled?
Old 02-18-10, 12:06 AM
Achilles11
Driver School Candidate

nope not totaled . . . the front, sides, inside are all perfectly fine . . . the back was just a complete wreck
Old 02-18-10, 12:13 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

thats painful to look at. but at least you and your passengers are safe. the leasing part plays into your hands more so that if you had purchased it. any accident is unfortunate, but to have it happen within the first week of driving...not good! hopefully the body shop that repairs that will do a great job.
Old 02-18-10, 06:30 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Looking at those pics it looks really just cosmetic. I wouldn't thing the frame is bent being as it looks it got hit higher then lower. What you see is the crumple zones that took the hit and saved you. Honestly I bet it was an SUV that hit you and if it was a car it would have prob just been bumper damange. The costly part with be the 2 rear side pannels.
Old 02-18-10, 10:10 AM
Achilles11
Driver School Candidate

purebliss . . . you are precisely correct! Got hit by an SUV and the repair guy said the same thing about the way the truck his me . . . Very High up and thats why it crumbled like that . . . I don't believe there is any damage to the frame or anything besides the back/sides . . . the car was even driven home from the accident after the trunk was tied down and drove fine so . . . thanks for all the kind words from everyone and advice/input
Old 02-18-10, 06:00 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem you will run into with panel replacement is that no human can fit those panels as tight and perfect as the factory robots can. Lexus has some of the most accurate robots in the industry. They will also need to repaint half of the car to blend everything in. The good news is that they can only use genuine parts, because the car is too new for aftermarket. Lexus Financial is going to take a big loss on this upon resale! Just promise me that you won't buy it outright at the end of the lease. Otherwise you will be overpaying big time.
Old 02-18-10, 08:50 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the OP's car will never fly as a CPO vehicle due to the "dirty" carfax.
Old 02-18-10, 09:02 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Dang imagine if he hadnt hit the other car first..... Hope everything works out
Old 02-18-10, 09:11 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damnn sorry to see this
Old 02-19-10, 04:13 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

that looks like a total loss... just the looks of the impact and how much its pushed in, i'd say the frame took a good beating and its probably bent... see if there's anyway of getting a new car....
Old 02-19-10, 06:06 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Total loss your crazy we are talking about a 40k car. As for the frame it is the strongest part of the car and in noway is that frame bent. Looking at the pic you can tell the car was hit above the bumper meaning there wasn't a strong impact to the frame itself, hence why I would guess no airbags. The trunk/bumper/lights very easy fix, the only hard part will be pulling those panels back and I have scene a lot worse. Being that the car is very new blending it with be very easy. Those panels are made to crumple like that. I assure you if this was a car that hit him all he would need is a bumper. This is a case when it looks a lot worse then it is because of the crumple zones.

For the pannels they use laser lines that will do an excellent job.

achillies when the car is fixed please post pics so everyone can see how it comes out because I bet it will look fine.
Old 02-19-10, 07:08 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got into an accident with my brand new 2007 ES. It had significant front end damage. It cost over $15,000 to repair. This happened about 3 years ago. You would never know my car was in an accident. It looks like new. The paint is perfectly blended, the panels fit nice and tight, and it drives as smooth as silk. This car can be brought back to "like new" condition if it's repaired by a reputable shop.
Old 02-21-10, 10:39 PM
Achilles11
Driver School Candidate

purebliss is right again . . . no air bags went off and i'm pretty sure its all cosmetic as far as the repair guy says . . . so i'll let you guys know how it goes and show the pics
Old 02-23-10, 09:09 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Sorry about your car. A heartbreaker for sure. While there is a good amount of damage and probably labor intensive to fix, I am amazed that is 10 grand in damage. There must be a huge profit in body work?

Last edited by ingoodtime; 02-23-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 05:28 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
There must be a huge profit in body work?
No, there isn't. Most states set the body shop hourly rate cap, and most towns/cities have a lot of shops.... thus some work for peanuts to get business. FL sets the cap at $40/hour. When you have to pay several employees salaries, benefits, insurance, utilities, rent, advertising and all other expenses, $45/hour is super low. Mechanical shops charge $70-150/hour (depending on brand). The main cost in body work is often the parts and/or paint. Body panels are not cheap, especially OEM. Paint can easily be in the several $1000's for just half a car. Some of the special pearl paints cost upwards of $10,000 per gal and require someone with LOTS of experience to spray correctly. I have several friends that own shops, so I hear all of the industry talk.

Quick Reply: Well . . . bad bad news