ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Seal Blowout on 07 ES350 37K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 05:25 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ES350's built after April, 2008 have the metal pipe instead of the pipe-hose-pipe setup. I don't know why Lexus doesn't just install the new pipe on the recall. Unfortunately, the recall consists of a "new and improved" rubber hose. You can certainly request the all metal pipe if you wish but it would probably be up to the dealer's discretion.
Old 03-18-10, 04:42 PM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
ES350's built after April, 2008 have the metal pipe instead of the pipe-hose-pipe setup. I don't know why Lexus doesn't just install the new pipe on the recall. Unfortunately, the recall consists of a "new and improved" rubber hose. You can certainly request the all metal pipe if you wish but it would probably be up to the dealer's discretion.
IS350Jet,
You make an excellent point regarding requesting the metal pipe. I just completed my recent service visit that consisted of my campaign alerts and the official recall for the gas pedal replacement and software update. After I read your comments and my work order from the dealership, I noticed a comment on the work order. They say more than one time on the work order that the customer requested the metal line. Of course all of the work was under warranty and I signed the completed work order. After some thought I really think that they will repair any vehicle with the metal line if the customer makes a direct request. It makes not sense for them to have that comment on the work order unless it justifies the extra cost when they submit the warranty claim to Lexus. Of course some dealers are just like difficult individuals....they say no initially because they can. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-19-10, 04:25 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think my repair was the metal line. Looking at the work order, part # is 04009-33131, oil hose kit, No 1. recall, 9LH-OPCODE 9609KC. Took .8 hour labor.
Old 03-19-10, 05:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
I think my repair was the metal line. Looking at the work order, part # is 04009-33131, oil hose kit, No 1. recall, 9LH-OPCODE 9609KC. Took .8 hour labor.
I had the same part# hose in my RX recall work sheet.I believe it's rubber.
I've heard the metal line is a lot more labor for some reason.Like 2-3 hours.
Could be a rumor,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-19-10 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 07:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

That part number is for the recall kit. It's the rubber hose kit. Keep in mind, the metal pipe on newer vehicles are not being recalled. That means if you're car is on the recall list, they will repair it using the above recall part number. If you request the metal oil pipe, and the dealer obliges, your car will not be in the system as having the recall done. It will simply be in the system as having the oil line replaced under warranty. This is because of the protocol that your dealer must follow when submitting warranty and recall claims. If they replace the hose with the metal line and submit it as the recall, they could get in trouble. Unless, of course, it's pre-approved by corporate.

Last edited by IS350jet; 03-19-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 09:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

A pic from the RX forum.
The rubber hose replacement is easy and quick install compared to the whole metal hose replacement.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-19-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-19-10, 11:20 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If my car "blows up", the Platinum warranty plus the bad press I will bring should get me a new engine / new car.
Old 03-19-10, 11:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

If my car "blows up", the Platinum warranty plus the bad press I will bring should get me a new engine / new car.
The Platimum warranty would cover it to 100K within the year coverage limit.If you have a 100K warranty rather than the 75K coverage.
I have the rubber recall replacement piece and I'm not worried about it.
Old 03-19-10, 07:01 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I think I posted it on another forum, but I got the rubber replacement when mine broke in December. Then, 2 weeks ago when I had the recall done, they put the metal one in and I did not ask for it. Seems there is no consistancy.
Old 03-19-10, 07:26 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Scheduled an appointment for all the recalls. I asked about the metal line. The Service Rep. said that an all metal line was not available but that the new line was rubber with "braided metal". I also asked about a upcoming replacement for the gas pedal. He said he knew of plans for a replacement pedal for the IS but not for the ES.
Old 03-20-10, 07:09 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus 1
Scheduled an appointment for all the recalls. I asked about the metal line. The Service Rep. said that an all metal line was not available but that the new line was rubber with "braided metal". I also asked about a upcoming replacement for the gas pedal. He said he knew of plans for a replacement pedal for the IS but not for the ES.
Lexus 1,
Just some information for you in the event that you want to insist on a more permanent repair. As you can see in the earlier post, there is a all metal line available. I just had my 2008 ES repaired and the dealership replaced my oil hose line with the all metal line. He told me that he requested and received approval from his rep. whomever that person was. The part number of the all metal line is #15772-31030. This information is on the work order. The dealer also replaced my gas pedal and did not reshape the old pedal. There is also a service line that calls for new padding. My vehicle was at the dealership for about three and half hours.
I would only suggest that you attempt to speak with a service writer that you have dealt with in the past. I appealed first to my writers sense of safety for his own family by repeating from an article that the hose repair did not appear to be permanent repair and that I had concerns for my wife and kids safety on some isolated road or another bad situation. I also mentioned the possibility of an engine fire, or a braking accident due to the oil being sprayed all over the place as some have experienced. My reasoning was that Lexus was now using the all metal line on their production lines. I also told him I was willing to pay any additional cost for safety. He agreed and said he would do some research. His next day response was that he could do it with no additional cost to me. Just take a civil approach and I'm sure you'll be successful. Lexus is under a lot of pressure and they pride themselves in customer service.
Old 03-20-10, 03:03 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by travelguy
Lexus 1,
Just some information for you in the event that you want to insist on a more permanent repair. As you can see in the earlier post, there is a all metal line available. I just had my 2008 ES repaired and the dealership replaced my oil hose line with the all metal line. He told me that he requested and received approval from his rep. whomever that person was. The part number of the all metal line is #15772-31030. This information is on the work order. The dealer also replaced my gas pedal and did not reshape the old pedal. There is also a service line that calls for new padding. My vehicle was at the dealership for about three and half hours.
I would only suggest that you attempt to speak with a service writer that you have dealt with in the past. I appealed first to my writers sense of safety for his own family by repeating from an article that the hose repair did not appear to be permanent repair and that I had concerns for my wife and kids safety on some isolated road or another bad situation. I also mentioned the possibility of an engine fire, or a braking accident due to the oil being sprayed all over the place as some have experienced. My reasoning was that Lexus was now using the all metal line on their production lines. I also told him I was willing to pay any additional cost for safety. He agreed and said he would do some research. His next day response was that he could do it with no additional cost to me. Just take a civil approach and I'm sure you'll be successful. Lexus is under a lot of pressure and they pride themselves in customer service.
Thanks Travelguy for your comments. I may give it another shot but I got the impression that there was not much wiggle room to negotiate these repairs at my dealership. My car is also an '08 and it has been totally trouble free since I took delivery in Nov. '07. Although I love the car, (the ride, quietness) I think this will be my last Lexus. I just don't feel comfortable keeping it beyond another year or so.
Old 03-20-10, 05:41 PM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Travelguy for your comments. I may give it another shot but I got the impression that there was not much wiggle room to negotiate these repairs at my dealership. My car is also an '08 and it has been totally trouble free since I took delivery in Nov. '07. Although I love the car, (the ride, quietness) I think this will be my last Lexus. I just don't feel comfortable keeping it beyond another year or so.
Lexus 1,
I understand your feelings. My 2008 has been great also. I really don't feel bad about the vehicle, but from some of the comments on this forum it makes you wonder if you want to deal with the Lexus Corp. My local dealer is the largest in KY and they have been very cooperative with any issues I have had, but it does not seem to be the normal business practice around the country. Each dealership is owned and operated differently and it seems they have developed different experiences. I choose the ES over the G35, but I may give that some consideration on my next purchase. Please try your dealer again and give him feedback regarding other experiences from this forum and ask him to justify his decision. Again appeal to him for his thoughts regarding the honest and ethical way of dealing with the situation. The only thing you are asking is for him to ask his rep. the question of replacing the temp. repair with a permanent repair. This is only fair when it comes to safety and your family. In fact I would ask him to include me in the phone call. You see how I can be at times, but I am really a nice guy. (smile)

Good luck.
Old 03-20-10, 10:11 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Originally Posted by travelguy
Lexus 1,
I understand your feelings. My 2008 has been great also. I really don't feel bad about the vehicle, but from some of the comments on this forum it makes you wonder if you want to deal with the Lexus Corp. My local dealer is the largest in KY and they have been very cooperative with any issues I have had, but it does not seem to be the normal business practice around the country. Each dealership is owned and operated differently and it seems they have developed different experiences. I choose the ES over the G35, but I may give that some consideration on my next purchase. Please try your dealer again and give him feedback regarding other experiences from this forum and ask him to justify his decision. Again appeal to him for his thoughts regarding the honest and ethical way of dealing with the situation. The only thing you are asking is for him to ask his rep. the question of replacing the temp. repair with a permanent repair. This is only fair when it comes to safety and your family. In fact I would ask him to include me in the phone call. You see how I can be at times, but I am really a nice guy. (smile)

Good luck.
Travelguy...Thanks again for the support. Maybe I need to take some assertiveness training from you. Here's where I am right now. I think the ES is a sharply styled, pleasant riding and generally reliable vehicle for the most part, but I think Lexus took some shortcuts in some key design areas for a vehiclie in this price range. The premium sound system is a daily disappointment, there's no direct turn off switch for the traction control system( which makes me fearful of getting stuck every winter) tires and brakes that have been reported to wear out early and now potential serious safety issues not limited to but including the oil line. Seems like a company with the reputation of LEXUS would voluntarily want to use the most durable method of replacing such a vital part without arm twiststing. So I guess I have become frustrated to the point of thinking; "just get me through the balance of my warranty and I'll be happy to move on.
Old 03-21-10, 08:01 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Travelguy...Thanks again for the support. Maybe I need to take some assertiveness training from you. Here's where I am right now. I think the ES is a sharply styled, pleasant riding and generally reliable vehicle for the most part, but I think Lexus took some shortcuts in some key design areas for a vehiclie in this price range. The premium sound system is a daily disappointment, there's no direct turn off switch for the traction control system( which makes me fearful of getting stuck every winter) tires and brakes that have been reported to wear out early and now potential serious safety issues not limited to but including the oil line. Seems like a company with the reputation of LEXUS would voluntarily want to use the most durable method of replacing such a vital part without arm twiststing. So I guess I have become frustrated to the point of thinking; "just get me through the balance of my warranty and I'll be happy to move on.
Well said and point taken. I'll have to give your points of view some serious consideration. Just a last note that came to me last night. I'm not sure of where you are in Indiana, but if you are close enough to KY you might think about having your repairs done at another dealership. Our States do border each other. My local dealer is open all day on Saturdays and that might be another alternative. I do understand your position no matter what you decide and it was nice communicating with you. Again, good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil Seal Blowout on 07 ES350 37K miles