ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Seal Blowout on 07 ES350 37K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 06:41 PM
peafarmer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Seal Blowout on 07 ES350 37K miles

All, we just purchased a used ES350 from a private individual. The car was very clean, and the carfax showed all maintenance performed at regular intervals on the car. Shortly after buying the car, the change oil light came on, so I changed the oil with synthetic, and installed an OEM filter. My wife was driving home this evening, and got a low oil pressure warning light. I jacked up the car and looked, and oil had sprayed everywhere. It looks like the oil is coming from the engine area, not the pan or oil filter / plug. I think that the car must have blown a main seal. Has anyone heard of such a low mileage lexus blowing a seal? Thanks,

Jose.
Old 03-05-10, 06:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was the VVT-I hose, there is a campaign right now, and Lexus will replace it for free. Is the mess towards the windshield on the passenger side? If so, tow it to Lexus and they will fix it for free. It happened to me.
Old 03-05-10, 06:52 PM
peafarmer
Rookie

Yes, the mess is on the passenger side...in the area near where the windshield is. It is such a mess under the car that I can't tell exactly where the oil is coming from.

I can't believe that Lexus would have a design where a hose could cause complete loss of oil pressure. I hope that there is no engine damage in our case....

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 03-05-10, 06:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If you log in to the Owners section of the Lexus web site you can type in your cars VIN # and see/confirm if there is a Service Campaign for your car for the VVT-I hose.
Old 03-05-10, 06:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Believe it! Read up on my experience. Make sure your dealer cleans your engine very well, top and bottom.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...se-failed.html
Old 03-05-10, 07:09 PM
peafarmer
Rookie

Thanks, guys. I checked my login on the Lexus website, and it says:

Service Campaign 9LH:
LSC 9LH - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING (VVT-I) OIL HOSE REPLACEMENT

This is a Limited Service Campaign. Please contact your authorized Lexus dealer to schedule an appointment to replace the VVT-I oil hose with a newly designed one before March 31, 2013.
-------------------------------

I think that people had better get in there well before March, 2013!!!!

I hear you on the cleaning. I wonder if there is any way to tell what damage was done by this event.
Old 03-05-10, 08:30 PM
frenjohn
Driver School Candidate

Hello, When you take it in for service tell them you want the metal line replacement not the new and improved hose, I went round and round with corporate and they will do this after complaining enough, I have an 2007 ES-350 and live in NJ.
Old 03-06-10, 04:41 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had mine replaced under the recall last week and the dealer is using the metal replacement.
Old 03-06-10, 04:36 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

As to the damage, I am sure the dealer will check it out once they see your car. Any damage done should be covered under warranty. I shut my engine off when the low oil level message came on the message display. The low oil pressure light did not come on yet, so I avoided any damage.

Another note, my wife's new 2010 Highlander does have the metal line from the factory. However, my dealer installed the rubber one on mine. Now, they want to replace it again under the campaign. Hopefully, I will get the metal one this time.
Old 03-07-10, 01:25 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default oil leak after oil hose fix

Well we had the oil hose fix done a week ago. Weren't having a problem but figured WTF. Anyway, today my wife went shopping and i noticed a 2-3 inch brown fresh oil spot on the garage floor. Would be on right side of engine area. Un F'n real. Back to the shop. Assume it'll be "human error" but that's unacceptable in my view.
Old 03-16-10, 11:58 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick note to any ES350 owners or any Lexus owner with the 350 engine. The part number for the all metal line is 15772-31030. Do not let anyone tell you that there is a difference in model years or vehicles. If your vehicle has the same engine as the ES350 the repair part is the same. I feel the all metal line is the correct method to repair this defect. Lexus is not calling this a safety recall, but I am sure that there are chances of an engine fire, wheel or braking accident, not to mention your wife, mother or daughter being stranded at some ungodly hour out of cellphone range or without one. I am having my vehicle repaired this week with the all metal line at no additional cost to me and my local dealer has been very helpful in getting this done after I mentioned the longevity of the improved hose repair vs the metal line repair. See this recent article regarding the issue http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews

Good luck in all of your efforts.
Old 03-16-10, 06:38 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ I agree 100% ^^^^^
Old 03-16-10, 08:21 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by travelguy
Just a quick note to any ES350 owners or any Lexus owner with the 350 engine. The part number for the all metal line is 15772-31030. Do not let anyone tell you that there is a difference in model years or vehicles. If your vehicle has the same engine as the ES350 the repair part is the same. I feel the all metal line is the correct method to repair this defect. Lexus is not calling this a safety recall, but I am sure that there are chances of an engine fire, wheel or braking accident, not to mention your wife, mother or daughter being stranded at some ungodly hour out of cellphone range or without one. I am having my vehicle repaired this week with the all metal line at no additional cost to me and my local dealer has been very helpful in getting this done after I mentioned the longevity of the improved hose repair vs the metal line repair. See this recent article regarding the issue http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews

Good luck in all of your efforts.
It's nice your dealer is so cooperative. It took an act of congress to have my all metal line done.
Old 03-17-10, 05:10 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

peafarmer,
I'm not completely sure if repairing my ES is all about the dealer being cooperative. They did mention that they got permission from their representative. I have no idea who that may have been or where they went for approval. I did thank them and like I said I do appreciate their effort, but I was going to have the metal line fix done either way. It may be that Lexus Corp. is being more accommondating due to the recent issues with safety. I do consider this a safety issue. I don't know how you could call this anything but a safety recall. Look how long they are honoring the campaign alert. As I mentioned before, long term some unsuspecting person could purchase a used Lexus after the campaign is over and really find themselves with a big problem if the issue is not corrected permanently. Thank you for posting the original concern and the others for following up with the other information. This how a forum should work in assisting with positive results and accurate information. I plan to keep reading and posting.
Old 03-18-10, 04:03 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are being more cooperative these days. When I saw my Lexus Sales Rep at the local bank recently, I asked him how business was. He said "it sucks". I bet. He was not so smug in 2010 as he was in late 2006.

Quick Reply: Oil Seal Blowout on 07 ES350 37K miles